Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jlw

One of the Regulars
Outback fedoras ???

I had this hat made by the Colorado Mountain Hat Company. Smitty referred to it as outback/fedora on the order sheet. I had a duplicate made in black.

mkqNpw7.jpg

hbenthow

Familiar Face
Hat shape is a very personal thing.If you don't like how you look,nothing else matters.I think its fair to say that most will find their tastes will change over time.

Based on the photo, which decade do you consider its design to most resemble the style of? Also, would you say that the brim would be considered stingy?

In Europe Wool Stiff and Soft Felt hats were popular. The old (1940s and older) Wool Stiff Felts are fairly easy to find but not many of the old Wool Soft Felts survived. I have a good number of old German and Austrian Wool Soft and Stiff Felt hats. They were mostly at the lower price point not always. They were actually Wool - Fur blends or expensive Wool types. Daniele has some (pre 1950s and later) Soft Felt examples for Italy and France.

Here is an interesting example of 1930s era German Wool Soft Felt.

"Gloria" Back Bow with Crease Clip

36706761212_92022e283d_b.jpg

36706883922_b8051530d6_b.jpg

36706919472_200547c348_b.jpg

36738250111_5bfabb1df4_b.jpg

36878068555_d98926355e_b.jpg

Brüder Böhm "Luxor" probably later 1930s

27345496722_bb7157c9cc_b.jpg

27445070155_2cca8d4480_b.jpg

27302675252_f500c41506_b.jpg

I have many examples of old German and Austrian Wool Stiff and Soft Felt Hats on my website. See URL below.
Love that one Steve. It has a very nice feel to the wool-felt if my memory serves correctly. A very nice example indeed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

All of my brimmed hats (non-caps) are of the wool felt variety. I have never owned a "fur felt" hat and probably never will, due to price.
If you have a small to medium sized head there are some incredible bargains to be had with vintage hats. Give eBay a look? If I had a small head I'd have hundreds of fur felt hats.

Even then, I like the wools too.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Got an e-mail for Baileys about their Polished Wool Collection. Looking at their web page it all looks pretty good. Not badly priced either.
Johnny

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Based on the photo, which decade do you consider its design to most resemble the style of? Also, would you say that the brim would be considered stingy?

To me, it looks like a modern interpretation of a golden era hat. But that is to my eye. The relatively low crown, in proportion to the brim, which appears to be about 2.5" - not stingy, and obvious machine shaping are the main giveaways. I can only imagine what it feels like. And I'd like to see a head-on so I can determine the taper.

I wouldn't wear it now, although I might very well have when I first got into hats. But as previously written, no one's opinion matters but the wearer's.

Hard to say, but they appear to have quite a bit of taper and a rather low crown....and it looks great and I wouldn't hesitate to wear it. No one is saying wool is as good as fur, but you'll miss out on some gems if you won't even consider wool.

From what I can tell, the suede finish looks to have more of a fur appearance. Very nice.

Aren't some of the comments analogous to saying you wouldn't drive a Mustang because Ferraris are so much better. I too agree that a Ferrari is a better car, but not all of us are there and we should encourage those who want to dip a toe in without a huge financial commitment.

Personally, I like my wool felts to be outdoorsy. Wool does not make a good refined hat and is best applied as a rugged chores hat. Wool pretending to be fur is doomed to disappoint. Still, if you like the hat then wear it. If after some more experience and exposure you decide to get a better hat then you're not out all that much for the wool starter hat. I still wear my wool hats when appropriate. Just my two cents.

If you wear a size 7 5/8 disregard all that I said. Hats just aren't for you. Maybe look at pocket squares or cufflinks. There's enough competition for the larger hats as it is. Cheers

KarlCrow

One Too Many
Given the choice between my first hat, a modern wool Stetson, and my felts my wool Stetson is in the attic. That said I've seen some nice vintage ones here. And again, whilst they hold their form some newer ones posted here have had a nice shape BUT I'm not a fan of factory creases in anything apart from paper hats. And I certainly don't have the knowledge to adjust wool. If it looked cool I'd wear it.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Aren't some of the comments analogous to saying you wouldn't drive a Mustang because Ferraris are so much better. I too agree that a Ferrari is a better car, but not all of us are there and we should encourage those who want to dip a toe in without a huge financial commitment.

Personally, I like my wool felts to be outdoorsy. Wool does not make a good refined hat and is best applied as a rugged chores hat. Wool pretending to be fur is doomed to disappoint. Still, if you like the hat then wear it. If after some more experience and exposure you decide to get a better hat then you're not out all that much for the wool starter hat. I still wear my wool hats when appropriate. Just my two cents.

If you wear a size 7 5/8 disregard all that I said. Hats just aren't for you. Maybe look at pocket squares or cufflinks. There's enough competition for the larger hats as it is. Cheers
I'd drive a Mustang before I'd wear a wool fedora.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ