Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
"Record" wool felt Melone - certainly also from Guben - same factory as the soft felt before?
for "Magazin zum Pfau" Leipzig, +/- 1935, crown 14,0 cm, curled bound brim 4,5-5,0 cm
I really dig that sweat logo - and the all-round excellent components & workmanship
Thanks to Panos!

46888929bm.jpg

46888928up.jpg

46888930uc.jpg

46888931vh.jpg

46888932zi.jpg

46888933bc.jpg

46888934ma.jpg
That's a real beauty, Matt.

Not often you see a white sweatband on a Bowler. They are there, but more often seen on Top Hats for white tie and tails.

The "Record" imprint screams early 1930s Weimar.

Love it!

Mean Eyed Matt

One Too Many
That's a real beauty, Matt.

Not often you see a white sweatband on a Bowler. They are there, but more often seen on Top Hats for white tie and tails.

The "Record" imprint screams early 1930s Weimar.

Love it!
Thank you, Steve: In fact, the white lining with the double-set white sweat
and the fantastic Record logo - and then from Leipzig - convinced me to follow Panos' advice
and buy the bowler at auction (happy that nobody else wanted it). I'm glad you like it too!

And about my wife's taste and eye for quality: thank you very much and I will tell her so.
I'm lucky that she shares in our addiction and understands it without becoming addicted herself.

Last edited:
Nice find, Stefan! Looks like a later one, when did Cambiaghi go out of business?
Forgot I had that one

The Champ by La Salle, in lightweight mixed fur-wool felt. Probably 40's
View attachment 573682 View attachment 573680 View attachment 573681
View attachment 573679
Somehow missed these posts. Cambiaghi didn't go out of business and still exists today. They just stopped making hats at a certain point.
Love the look of that Champ; great colour and certainly an unusual hat.

"Record" wool felt Melone - certainly also from Guben - same factory as the soft felt before?
for "Magazin zum Pfau" Leipzig, +/- 1935, crown 14,0 cm, curled bound brim 4,5-5,0 cm
I really dig that sweat logo - and the all-round excellent components & workmanship
Thanks to Panos!

46888929bm.jpg

46888928up.jpg

46888930uc.jpg

46888931vh.jpg

46888932zi.jpg

46888933bc.jpg

46888934ma.jpg

46888883rg.jpg
Wow, both are gorgeous examples of fine woolfelt hatmaking, Matt. Love both of them. The liner and sweatband of the bowler are exceptional though.

PanosChris

Practically Family
"JEDDO" Modell "Henrich" wool felt - another new "brand" from one of the factories in Guben,
because again the well-known labels and again the city wall with 3 towers in the coat of arms,
+/- 1925/30, open crown 16,0 cm, as creased 13,0 cm, unbound brim 6,5 cm
This ist the first pretty cool hat my wife ownes and wears with pride.

46888921ao.jpg

46888920oa.jpg

46888922yg.jpg

46888923uz.jpg

46888924gh.jpg

46888925nh.jpg

46888926bs.jpg

46888927ky.jpg
Phenomenal woollies, Matt! Thanks for sharing! I am glad you went for the melone too ;)

I should also second Steve's compliments regarding your wife's good taste and I'll add that I am glad she is not addicted, that would put my box in danger :)

PanosChris

Practically Family
Somehow missed these posts. Cambiaghi didn't go out of business and still exists today. They just stopped making hats at a certain point.
Love the look of that Champ; great colour and certainly an unusual hat.
Thanks Stefan!

I figured with 8 or so employees currenlty, they must have stopped making hats long time ago, perhaps right after the Monza factory closed

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I've been waiting for a Jean Peille hat for a long time.
I have a great one, but the size is too big for my head so this is a happy find.
Esperaza Interno.jpg
This homburg or Diplomatique is a 6 so a 59 cm. or 7 3/8 in the US
The hat is marked Jean Peille and is made in Esperaza, the Aude region at the foot of the Pyrenees, but the manufacturer is JB or Jean Bourrel, father of a series of fabulous French hats from the early twentieth century.
Esperaza etichetta carta.jpg
This has the particularity of being made of wool, considering that Esperaza was the heart of the production of French wool hats.
Esperaza 2jpg.jpg
It is one of the rare homburgs totally made of wool that I have in my collection. Another is a product made in Monza, another center of wool felt
Esperaza 3jpg.jpg

The measurements of the Jean Pellie are as follows: the curled brims with ribbon matching the black felt are 6 centimeters, the ribbon also matching the felt is 4 centimeters high, and the open crown is 13.5 centimeters
Esperaza 4.jpg
Black felt is extremely malleable and has warm tones, despite the cooling of the tones in post production. Perhaps a pale Italian mid-morning sun is an accomplice

I've been waiting for a Jean Peille hat for a long time.
I have a great one, but the size is too big for my head so this is a happy find.
Esperaza Interno.jpg
This homburg or Diplomatique is a 6 so a 59 cm. or 7 3/8 in the US
The hat is marked Jean Peille and is made in Esperaza, the Aude region at the foot of the Pyrenees, but the manufacturer is JB or Jean Bourrel, father of a series of fabulous French hats from the early twentieth century.
Esperaza etichetta carta.jpg
This has the particularity of being made of wool, considering that Esperaza was the heart of the production of French wool hats.
Esperaza 2jpg.jpg
It is one of the rare homburgs totally made of wool that I have in my collection. Another is a product made in Monza, another center of wool felt
Esperaza 3jpg.jpg

The measurements of the Jean Pellie are as follows: the curled brims with ribbon matching the black felt are 6 centimeters, the ribbon also matching the felt is 4 centimeters high, and the open crown is 13.5 centimeters
Esperaza 4.jpg
Black felt is extremely malleable and has warm tones, despite the cooling of the tones in post production. Perhaps a pale Italian mid-morning sun is an accomplice
Daniele, This is another super find and great news that it's in your size. I am very happy to see a fantastic French Wool Soft Felt!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner