Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The living room of my grandparents in the late 30's

andy richards

Practically Family
Nice picture of the interior of my grandparents living room in the late 30's.
I just love the chairs, wish they were still around...
Luckily the "smoking cabinet" on the table near the window was saved and is in my living room now.
Thought you all would like this picture.

Andy

Tellegenstr4groningen1959-1.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
That is a great picture! I love the shape of the chairs. :)

Are you doing some family history research? Its amazing how many interesting things you can find out - In my research, I found out my maternal grandparents lead quite the colourful life.

andy richards

Practically Family
Thanks C-dot.
After recieving loads of pictures, letters, objects and documents I found a lot of their history.
With all the stories Grandma told me many things come clear to me now.
It is great to explore this all.

Cheers,
Andy

TidiousTed

Practically Family
Great picture, love the chairs too. We had some quite like them in our living room when I was a small kid (mid to late fifties)

Dubya

One of the Regulars
I can still remember the front room of my grandparents house when I visited in the mid 1970's. It was like a time capsule of the 1940's................and always cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey! Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
There was no fridge in the kitchen, as my gran had a pantry, and my grandad still maintained the Anderson shelter in the garden because after fighting in World War 1 and serving in the Metropolitan Police (London) in World War 2 he didn't trust the Germans not to have another crack at him! [huh]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Memories

Here you go, though it's not my grandmothers, it's my mothers, which I just inherited. Excuse the mess, I am sorting things out and decidings whether to move. My mother loved the old furniture, we owned a grand old big house when i was young, and a lot of the furniture came out of it. Don't worry, the furniture will stay in the family, just selling some of the knick, knacks!
IMG_4082.jpg
IMG_4083.jpg

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Wow, that living room is fantastic. Your grandparents were obviously proud of it if they took that photo. And indeed, they should have been!

Last edited:

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Hi, welcome to the Fedora Lounge :)

That's a beautiful photograph. It's nice to see that some of the furniture has remained in the family. My dad always feels so bad when he tells me of all the stuff that his father (my grandfather) used to own, which aren't in our family anymore. Hold onto what you have left.

Henry Gondorff

A-List Customer
I really like this baroque-ish looking furniture; indeed a wonderful picture. Keep this pictures coming, perhaps we all can get ideas how to arrange our apartements...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy