Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland DVD Collection

Snookie

Practically Family
Last weekend we picked up the Mickey Rooney & Judy Garland DVD Collection - contains four of the great movies these two made together - Babes in Arms, Strike Up the Band, Babes on Broadway, and Girl Crazy. United under the theme of "Hey kids, let's put on a show!", these movies have great music, great dance scenes (directed by none other than Busby Berkeley), and are great fun.

This set also contains additional interviews with Mickey, clips of Judy performing in other movies, a book about the making of the movies, and wonderful collector's stills. The prints are also really clean, excellently restored.

Has anyone else gotten this set? How do you think it compares to other box sets? Anything you liked/disliked?

As wonderful as this set and these movies are, I really don't like the minstrel numbers. I'd never seen Babes in Arms or Babes on Broadway all the way through before, and I'm shocked at just how much they used blackface and did minstrel acts. I knew it was common and accepted, but I didn't realize the extent. I'm glad that Strike Up the Band and Girl Crazy don't have minstrel numbers, as I prefer those movies anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic