Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The morning after...Ow... my eyes...Hangover help.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Lots of water the day after and once you feel up to it exert yourself to the point of breaking a sweat. Then eat some food. After that you'll be good to go.

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
KY Gentleman said:
Lots of water the day after and once you feel up to it exert yourself to the point of breaking a sweat. Then eat some food. After that you'll be good to go.

Excellent. I recommend that the food be substantial.

Memnon

New in Town
I usually just take a couple of aspirins, and swallow them down with a single gulp of water. I've found that drinking more water with the pills makes it slower for the painkillers to digest. I know they say that lots of liquids are good, but my stomach usually can't hold down lots of liquid when waking up with a hangover; I don't know how some of you can handlle an entire greasy breakfast while waking up with one...

miss_elise

Practically Family
my favourite is 3 hash browns from mcDonald's and a glass of their reconsituted oj...

or white bread toast with butter and vegemite and a glass of oj...

(see a pattern here? it's all about replacing salts, fats and getting vitamin c)

dnjan

One Too Many
Try to drink at least a half galon of water when you come home, and then stay awake until you have passed most of it through. I find that if I don't go to bed until both eyes can focus on the same thing, I am in much better shape in the morning.

Ben

One of the Regulars
CanadaDoll said:
While I've never been hungover, I know that alcohol dehydrates you, so I'd recommend drinking lots of water, and for the really rough ones try a Gatorade, it replaces lost electrolytes, and let me tell ya, when you're dehydrated they work wonders!

A second on the gatorade, but it works best if you drink it before you go to bed and after you are done drinking. Have it in the refrigerator before you go out -- it's easier than navigating the convenience store afterwards.

For the really bad ones, with awful nausea the next day, ice water can help.

Miss 1929

Matzoh ball soup seems to have worked the miracle today.

I thought we should bump this thread anyway, due to the holiday parties and the gay, mad whirl that is the life of a Lounger.

Dr Doran

Perhaps I already wrote this -- I am way too lazy to reread this whole thread -- but there is a soup in Poland that you drink solely for hangovers. It's white. Quite nice. You can get it in packets at Polish delis in the USA, too.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"I am lucky that I am one of those people who does not suffer from a Hangover, however if I am feeling a bit "Plain" I will have "scrambled Eggs with Kippers, and fried bread, I guess I must crave the salt!"

HPIM0163.jpg

"However, If you were being "Slaughtered" by a true Hangover the very thought of Kippers would have you "Yelling down the great white Telephone"

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Binkie, you're obviously a smoked fish man so may I suggest kedgeree for breakfast next time you've overindulged? Works wonders. Doesn't stink the house out as much as the kippers either.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Smithy said:
Binkie, you're obviously a smoked fish man so may I suggest kedgeree for breakfast next time you've overindulged? Works wonders. Doesn't stink the house out as much as the kippers either.

"I do a quick cheap version of Kedgeree, using a can of John West Smoked Kippers, and a packet of Continental "Indian" rice and a few hard boiled eggs, makes a super quick supper dish, after a night at the Theatre, or wherever"

davestlouis

Practically Family
I quit drinking almost 10 years ago...thank heaven. I do recall a time that I drank way too much whiskey, and ate nothing but ice chips for 4 days...started onto saltine crackers on day 4, and was good as new by the next weekend. I probably should have been hospitalized, but it never dawned on me at the time to go.

My x-brother in law swears by Excedrin, Mountain Dew and Marlboro reds. Says not only will you feel better, the nicotine speeds up the digestive process and get things moving in your bowels too, whatever that's worth.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
excedrin n water before i sleep (or passout) n after i wake up...water throughout the night if i get roused...

i don't crawl out from under the covers until i can get up without feeling like a cricket bat is going upside my head...

1*Cool*Kitten

One of the Regulars
Happy New Year!

scotrace said:
OK, not really. But it strikes every imbibing Guy and Doll sooner or later. What do you do? How do you nurse the Next Day From Hell?

Aspirin? Lots of water? Hair of the Dog? Or (gag) raw eggs?
:eusa_doh: Get Ready folks!It's upon us!
I don't drink anymore:eusa_clap (not since they invented the funnel!;) :p lol) for several reasons, I'll keep personal, while I spew on about it all here!
Dad always said (being the IRISH PATRIARCH he is) that you "drink the venom of the snake that bit you the night befor"!:eek: My Brother SWEARS by Tomato juice:rolleyes: . My Mother,Same idea, Bloody Mary!:rolleyes: I, the water/asprin befor the rack! My uncles 1 the shot of deisel fuel idea, the other milk & bread upon rising,the other a stiff shot of whiskey (just one) the correct answer: my guess is: don't put yourself in that situation/drink!But that's no fun!so again.......it's all what "works" for you!what "works" for one, may kill the next!
Who knows!
Merry Merry you guys! Be safe during the up coming week!And........... HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

rue

*BUMP*

- Long bath
- As much skin-care product as you can "borrow", those eye-skin lotions are very good
- Coke (Nonono; the drink!)
- Greasy food; eggs, bacon, whatever your stomach can handle
- Sex, if available
- Mimosas when you start feeling better, this is important to complete the cure
- And no whining. Whining makes it worse, particularly because it makes the sex less available

This was great and I agree.... if sex is available it does help ;)

My hangover remedy is a big glass of water and two Aleve before bed. Wake up and have the same. Then it's really hot Mexican food and an ice cold diet Pepsi and then eventually a stiff drink, but no more than two or you'll be doing the same thing all over again the next day :D

RichardH

One of the Regulars
I usually try to get something to eat before I go to bed, and try to drink a litre (sorry, I don´t know your measuring system) of water as well.. Usually works fine.. But the best cure is as follows : Get a glass, fill it with icecubes, then fill it halfway up with vodka, and then top it off with orange/cranberry juice. (Will only work if you´re on a drinking binge!!)

But under normal circumstances, when you´re not planning on hitting the bottle hard the day after, lots of water and some food should work just fine..

Miss Moonlight

A-List Customer
When I was quite the drinker, two things worked:

1- if not drinking the next day, I'd drink about 16-24 ounces water and take a multivitamin before sleep, and wake up free from hangover.
2- if planning to drink the same day, I might or might not do that, but my first drink in the morning was a swig of whatever whiskey I'd had the night before. Hair of that wiley dog.

I rarely had hangovers. If I drank vodka, though, or gin- oy I'd get one no matter what precautions were taken.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ