Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the morning routine

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
since morning starts after midnight

just after midnight I realize I should get off the internet.
I read just a few more posts on the Lounge. Wait I need to reply to some of those. Holey moley, it's past one A.M.!
I have three variations on waking at 6:47 :
A) I wake up just before the alarm rings
B) I jump out of bed when the alarm rings and turn it so as not to bother my wife.
C) The alarm goes off and I'm in such deep R.E.M. i don't know what the sound is.
turn on the oven for heat, wake my oldest son for school and jump in the shower.
At 7:15 I get out of the shower and try to wake my eight-year-old.
Get ready and dressed.
Meet my oldest in the kitchen, he's dressed and finished eating. I make sure he has his medecine.
Try to get my youngest moving.
I eat breakfast and remind youngest to get dressed.
Etcetera.
Drive boys to school.
A recently added part is sometimes I get a nap after dropping of my sons.
I wake up again and can't get my hair to lie down.
Get ready for work.

The Wolf

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
Marc Chevalier said:
Wake up a 4:00 am and go to the outhouse. Light coal-burning stove and kerosene lamps. Walk to the well for water. Grind coffee and cornmeal; make bread.

Not!

I get up at 5am, soon to change to 4:30 so I can leave for work at 6, feed the chickens, light the wood stove and make breakfast (toast and green tea). Leave the house at 7, get to work at 8, have coffee, try not to fall asleep.

Atleast that's what it used to be. My son is now 3 weeks old and...well...I don't sleep much anymore.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
ugh, I remember the days (and nights) of having a newborn! rest assured sleep is on it's way...until the kid hits 1 1/2 to 2yrs old.....but we won't get into that ;)

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Wake at 7. If it is raining, I cry out in rapture and go back to sleep for another hour. If it is sunny, I crawl out of bed and start doing pushups/situps. Then I yell vulgar insults at my still sleeping roommate in the next room, just because. Then I go running.

I shower at 8, wish I had the technological fortune of a coffee machine, and then crawl to my computer. My hair's too short to comb or style these days. I'm lazy with the shaving.

Email, message boards, put on some music. For mornings, usually something to put some life into me, something I can sing along to. Stevie Wonder, Sam Cooke, etc.

Some last minute finishing touches on an paper, maybe, and then off to class.

maintcoder

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
"Up at 4:00 am ..."

"Awaken at 5:00 am ..."

What time do you early birds go to bed? [huh] Don't tell me you have something in common with Bill Clinton: the need for only 3 hours of sleep? :eek:

I hit the sack between 10 and 11 most nights and am always up at 4:45 each weekday morning.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I'm usually up at 4:45 or so, too. Unless I hit the snooze, but then the dog starts licking my face. If I show any signs of life whatsoever when she does that, it's all over. As long as she doesn't jump on any tender parts, waking up isn't so bad.

Then it's up, start the coffee and the shower, and wrestle with the dog until the shower heats up. After the shower, get dressed while watching the news, then let the dog out into the front yard so she can chase out every mourning dove and quail that have the audacity to come within 20 meters of her yard. She's a Blue Heeler, so she is very good at boundaries and chasing.

Then back in for breakfast for both of us, a little Lost World on the tube while I eat my shredded wheat. Yeah, I know. But I like the concept. By the time I finish my coffee, the dog is bringing me every toy in her basket, which she doesn't want to play with; that's just her way of saying it's time to go patrol the front yard for saucy birds, then go play frisbee (at which she is very good) in the back yard for a few minutes. Then off to work at 6:20.

I try to hit the sack by 10, but it's usually more like 10.30 or 11.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Who arrives at a dance club before midnight?

Marc Chevalier said:
Southern Europeans and South Americans would be shocked to read these posts.
South Americans, for instance, have dinner as late as 10 pm, and arrive at dance clubs after midnight.
All the good looking girls don't get there until after midnight.:)

Mycroft

One Too Many
Lincsong said:
All the good looking girls don't get there until after midnight.:)

That may be true, but the next morning I mean noon you might not be as sure.;) Anyhow, back to topic, I wish I could operate on the South American/Southern European Scheduale, but I got work and school that do not fall into those times, that's it I am moving back to Ecuador.

ITG

Call Me a Cab
I go to bed between 12am-1am. My alarm goes off at 6 am, as does my cell alarm. My grandparents call at 6am too because they enjoy it and I am such a heavy sleeper. Did I say I'm a very heavy sleeper? Usually I tell my grandparents 20-30 more minutes and then they will call back. When 6:30 rolls around, it may be the same response: 20 more minutes, but I'm always up by 7am. In the mean time my cell phone alarm has gone off at least one other time and my clock radio probably 2-3 times already. I loathe getting up in the mornings, can you tell? All during this time, my dog is laying in bed fast asleep...he's as bad as I am about not wanting to get up. When he finally gets up, he stretches several times and makes the cutest ARROO noise. Once out of bed, I first turn my curlers on to heat up and then take the dog out to relieve himself, then feed him, then out again, and I can't forget to turn on "Good Morning, America." Once the curlers are heated, I set my hair, check email, eat breakfast, go to do my hair, dress, brush teeth, do the makeup, and roll out between 8am-8:30am to work. Pretty boring I guess.

matei

One Too Many
You folks that wake up before 06:00... that is some serious discipline!

I consider it to be unnatural (for me at least) to get up any earlier than 6:00! That was the wake-up time for me for my school years. I've done it so long that it is no great shakes, but any earlier - no thanks.

[old geezer voice] When I was in the Army, we'd get up anywhere between 3:30 and 5:00 during the week. On Sundays we could get up at 6:00 - which felt like heaven. [/old geezer voice off]

I'm actually fine if I can get up early and stay up. After 5 minutes I'm OK.

Nowadays I get up at either 06:30 if I am to have a brief run, or 07:15. I will usually just brush me hair, shave, prepare my lunch and then get dressed (otherwise I'll end up staining my shirt or something) and then I'm out the door with my wife.

One of the "charms" of living in a 1800s flat (last renovated during the swinging 60s I think) is that there is no shower, just a bathtub! Taking a "quick bath" is a contradiction in terms, so I only do so after a run (hence the earlier start time) or the night before.

After than I force my way onto the Tube, change twice, and I'm at work!

Like one of the other posters here, I used to go out 'til daybreak - even on schoolnights. I hated seeing the sun come up as I made my way back home. In spite of the fact that I'm a night owl, I haven't done that in a while. Maybe 2 - 3 times a year now.

Irena

One of the Regulars
matei said:
One of the "charms" of living in a 1800s flat (last renovated during the swinging 60s I think) is that there is no shower, just a bathtub! Taking a "quick bath" is a contradiction in terms, so I only do so after a run (hence the earlier start time) or the night before.

If you want to take a quicker bath, read Cheaper By the Dozen. Mr. Gilbreth (the father in the story) is an efficiency expert and practices what he preaches.

Tatum

Practically Family
I'll play, I love old threads.

Get up, make coffee. Let the dogs out. Sit on the front porch and check emails. Surf the net, read the FL til the coffee hits and I feel human. Figure out what needs to be done that day (working, gardening, beekeeping chores or the coveted day off, like today). Dress accordingly.

Today will probably not be a vintage day for me. I will most likely be working around the house on various projects. :/

rue

^ me too :)

Weekdays...
Get up at 6:20 and sit in a coma for ten minutes.
wake up daughter
Throw hair up in a pony tail and brush teeth
wake up daughter again.
Head downstairs praying that I remembered to set the coffee maker the night before.
If I did great, if I didn't then I mumble obscenities.
Let out the dogs.
Fix lunches to go and breakfast and send hubby off to work.
Yell to daughter to make sure she's almost ready.
Visit the lounge.
Tell daughter to hurry up, because she's late for her ride and shove her out the door.
Poor another cup of coffee.
Eat breakfast (poached egg on dry toast)
Visit the lounge until my mother calls and talk to her for an hour.
Shower, set hair, do my make-up and get dressed for the daily chores.

Weekends..

Up at 7:30 or 8 depending on how late I was up.
Then most of the above, except the fixing of lunches and the bitching at daughter to get up.
I make a huge breakfast and relax until noon and then shower and get ready for the day.

subject101

One of the Regulars
Oh, I don't wake up in the morning, I resurrect. All my morning routine is about bringing to life all my body parts, specially my head. My stomach is always dead until 11 o'clock, so no breakfast for me.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
8:20 AM: Wake up, and choose what to wear for the day.
8:30 AM: I'm already starting my shower.
8:45 AM: Brushing my teeth, getting dressed, and fixing my hair. Perhaps I'll have enough time to have one piece of toast for breakfast, or a bowl of oatmeal.
9:00 AM: My grandfather picks me up to drive me to my junior college.
9:30 AM: Typically, I arrive at campus by then, and begin my first class on mondays, otherwise I arrive much later at 12:30 PM, and start a class at 12:50, which ends at 2:30.

On my off-days:
10:00 or 11:00 AM: Wake up and get ready for the day, and prepare to study, or if I have any time for leisure, enjoying myself.

Tatum

Practically Family
Rue, what did you make for breakfast today? :)

I spent mid-day running errands and playing in the dirt. I'm going to try to get hydrangeas to grow...not easy where I am!

rue

Rue, what did you make for breakfast today? :)

I spent mid-day running errands and playing in the dirt. I'm going to try to get hydrangeas to grow...not easy where I am!

Today was pancakes, scrambled eggs (mine was over easy though) and bacon :)

I wish I could play in the dirt. We don't plant a thing until Mother's Day here. I adore hydrangeas... I wish you luck with them :)

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Wake up at 5:45am. Take dog for a jog. Make and eat breakfast. Shower/get dressed/put on makeup/fix hair. Make my lunch. Leave. Get to work and grab coffee. Work.

On weekends I get up anywhere from 8:30 to 10:30. I hate getting up later than that, though, and make a point not to.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Wake up 5:00am. Cigarrete and black coffee, a lot of it. Go to typewriter. Stop 8:00am. Go to courts, etc, back home to lunch and... lots of coffee, again, as more work. Sometimes, when I'm with no patience, walk around to take few photos. But this is the exception.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany