Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Most "Vintage" US City

Stanley Doble

Call Me a Cab
^^ Port Hope Ontario, Walton Street, looking west up the hill from the corner of Queen Street. Must be Canada Day (July 1) from the flags. The One Way sign is in the alley between the barber shop and Gould's Shoes (est 1886).
"Relatively slow growth from 1881 to 1951 resulted in much of the town's original architecture not being demolished in the name of progress. Port Hope's downtown is celebrated now as the best-preserved 19th-century streetscape in Ontario. The town's local chapter of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario and the Heritage Port Hope Advisory Committee are very active and advise on the restoration and preservation of architecturally or historically significant buildings. With over 270 heritage-designated buildings throughout the municipality, Port Hope has a higher per capita rate of preservation than any other town or city in Canada. Downtown businesses are regulated by the municipality to maintain the town's unique character."

courtesy Wikipedia

Visual tour of Port Hope

http://www.porthopetourism.com/Visual_Tour.html

Last edited:

Hobart Arms

New in Town
Not so much a city but if you have never taken a look, Clarkdale AZ is essentially exactly how it was 60 years ago. It was a town built entirely by a mining company for the families of the miners. When the mine shut down in the 1950s I believe, the town was more or less abandoned and the next town over, Cottonwood flourished. Clarkedale has a great square in the downtown with a few streets of amazing bungalows surrounding it. There is one gas station, restored to look as though it has never changed, a few bars and restaurants and best of all... An amazing community center built by the mining company complete with a pool, soda fountain, bowling alley, ball room and billiards room. The community center is untouched. I couldnt believe it when I was able to walk around through it. Its really worth a google search if you have a minute.

dawgvet

Familiar Face
I'm going to nominate downtown Kansas City, MO. I've spent some time there on two business trips and thoroughly enjoyed walking around downtown just taking in all the cool old hotels still in business. I had the pleasure to stay in the old Muehlebach Hotel which is now operated as part of the Mariott downtown. It hosted every President from Teddy Roosevelt to Reagan. The old lobby is not currently in use but has been restored and I just stumbled upon it while poking around one afternoon. Very cool.
87FEACB9-23C6-4CAB-8916-B6AAE8E46D55-3207-0000027D95C5F735.jpg

AA1E8EED-FB80-4A35-84D2-7D367EB6E683-3207-0000027D8A9A54BF.jpg

The building is just cool.
EACF02C9-4B22-4C23-B34B-3AEA025FE1E3-3644-0000027E28C2751F.jpg

Also right next door is the Aladdin Hotel now ran by Holliday Inn. Want to check it out next time.
740084EC-4030-4EE0-9741-1730AC560CA4-3644-0000027DDD73EFA0.jpg

Also the Hotel President has been restored and now operated by Hilton. This was the site of the 1928 Republican National Convention that nominated Herbert Hoover. The Drum Room Club in the hotel has hosted the likes of Sinatra and Benny Goodman.
Also KC was where Count Basie made a name for himself and now home to the National Jazz Museum and Hall of Fame. They still have several classic theaters like the Mainstreet Theatre in business in the renovated Power & Light District.
Heck they even have Gangster Tours that take you around town and show where all the speakeasys were!

From circa 1922 to 1924 the Muehlebach Hotel was the home of the Coon-Sanders Original Nighthawk Orchestra who broadcast nightly on radio station WDAF from the Muehlebach's Plantation Grill.

Coon-Sanders Original Nighthawk Orchestra -- Nighthawk Blues (1924)

[video=youtube;U1cZ6tIpLm4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1cZ6tIpLm4[/video]

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner