Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Nazi Gold Train

AdeeC

Practically Family
I once read an Army document written in the 50s where it stated that one of many reasons that Germany lost the war was their inability to focus on the war itself. In short, they were too focused on generations after the war instead of all the allied nations slowly creeping into the Reich.
Had they decided not to indulge in pet projects such as this and focused those resources away from all these 'future' projects and most of all, the Holocaust, they could have staved off the Allies for much longer than they had. Instead, they gutted themselves logistically by diverting resources to all these odd projects that had no support for winning the war as well as a massive waste of effort diverted instead to killing all the people the Germans didn't like. In short, aside from being amazingly evil, it was a stupid thing for any nation to do as it kept resources the army could have used focused instead on efforts that had nothing to do with the war itself. The report concluded that all these other non-war-winning efforts helped the Allied cause in the end.
It was the Nazi truth that they could never lose. No one dared state otherwise. The penalty for a defeatist attitude expressed by a German citizen was beheading.

F. J.

One of the Regulars
[...]
A few thoughts. The swastika, which to me and most of us, at least in the West, is now a symbol of evil, depravity and inhumanity on an almost incomprehensibly frightening scale, was a symbol long before the nazi's embraced it. If you can remove your opinion of the symbol from the nazis (hard to do and I almost never can), it is an impressive symbol (there is a clip that plays on many WWII documentaries of the German Air Force flying by with their planes in the formation of the swastika - again, hard to separate out the evil from the symbol, but if you can, it is impressive). Hence, my guess is that at some point in the next 100 plus years the symbol will make a mainstream comeback as eventually WWII will be history (and will no longer be, as it is to many of us, emotionally impactful as we had relatives alive in our life - or even still today - who lived through it). I want to emphasize, I just watched part of "Judgement at Nuremberg" and despite having seen it several times and pictures of the Holocaust God knows how many times, I felt sick anew just seeing how beyond comprehension the evil and inhumanity of the nazis were. So there is no, none, none at all diminishing of that evil by me, I am just trying to highlight that the swastika has a history that pre-dates the nazis and, my guess, will - given enough time - become acceptable again.
[...]

I remember that the last time I visited the Mississippi State Capitol, built in 1903, there were swastikas in the tile, albeit left-facing and with dots. The tour guide said that at the time it was considered just an old Indian good luck symbol. I seem to recall it being the tile floor outside the Senate Chamber.

I’ve also seen pictures from the ’30’s of Boy Scouts dressed as Indians with swastikas (and other Indian symbols) on their tepees and banners.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Yeah, but had they not focused their resources on such horrible things that did nothing to help them win the war, they sure could have delayed VE day by quite a while.
I was just expressing the mindset that hastened their demise. You could add revenge weapons like the V1 and V2 rockets which drained resources and had negliable strategic value.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Well I wouldn't be to negative about it till it's done, you never know. I believe from what I read there were a couple of missing trains, yes? So if they're missing their probably somewhere. I also think that there were underground rail systems built, yes? So it will be interesting to see IF theres anything there. If anyone's been watching Hunting Hitler on the History Channel who would have thought their were those U Boat docking stations buried in that mountain in the Canary Islands-

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Well I wouldn't be to negative about it till it's done, you never know. I believe from what I read there were a couple of missing trains, yes? So if they're missing their probably somewhere. I also think that there were underground rail systems built, yes? So it will be interesting to see IF theres anything there. If anyone's been watching Hunting Hitler on the History Channel who would have thought their were those U Boat docking stations buried in that mountain in the Canary Islands-

Never fear. There's truckloads of bullion, artwork and other valuables that the Nazis had and is still missing which is probably snaffled away in various places. Maybe not just under this particular mountain.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Never fear. There's truckloads of bullion, artwork and other valuables that the Nazis had and is still missing which is probably snaffled away in various places. Maybe not just under this particular mountain.
And, of course, The Imperial Amber Room of Russia! Oops, just found out, it is suppose to be on the Gold Train! :confused:

AdeeC

Practically Family
This story is so much cock'n bull. We are talking about something that occured in living memory and not five centuries ago. There are local people, soldiers, railroad workers, slave labourers, construction workers, engineers and others who were hanging around at the time and long after but for some strange reason know nothing tangible about this mystery train. It's not like we are talking about something hidden in remote uninhabited parts of the world. Does not compute.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Doh!.png
What!? New York Times says there is no train! Couldn't they have waited 'til after Christmas??

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/16/w...or-fabled-nazi-gold-train-in-poland.html?_r=1

Well, let's not give up hope. There is still this:

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2013...zi-gold-filmmaker-says.html?intcmp=latestnews

"According to Spiegel Online, Nazi leader Adolf Hitler ordered his private secretary, Martin Bormann, during the final days of World War II to imbed a series of letters, figures and runes on the sheet music that would, when deciphered, lend the coordinates to a horde of buried treasure."​

Last edited:

p51

One Too Many
This story is so much cock'n bull. We are talking about something that occured in living memory and not five centuries ago. There are local people, soldiers, railroad workers, slave labourers, construction workers, engineers and others who were hanging around at the time and long after but for some strange reason know nothing tangible about this mystery train. It's not like we are talking about something hidden in remote uninhabited parts of the world. Does not compute.
I get your point, but I spent a lot of time researching a stateside training field for the AFF in my hometown and you'd really be surprised how little documentation there was about what had happened to certain areas after the war and where some things had gone. I found no record, for example, as to what happened to a hangar at one end of the field. The USAF historical center, the state museum, not even people I tracked down who worked there and some people who lived there from the 40s to the 70s, had any clue what happened to it and when it simply vanished off the face of the planet.
Poland at the end of the war with a Russian army streaming through and Germans fleeing through the area?
Yeah, I could see no documentation for something like that, even though I highly doubt there's really a train in there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112