Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The nicest comment I ever heard

Day_late

New in Town
I wore my new Diamante panama to lunch today and got a couple nice comments from my companions. But the topper was on the way home: sitting at a traffic light, I heard someone shout "I love your hat!" Looked to my left and saw a teenage girl riding with her mom. We smiled at each other, and I said "Thank you!" The light changed, we drove off, and my smile lasted all the way home.

Regards,
Warren

DrQuest

Familiar Face
indycop said:
Hmmnn, Women speaking French sounds flirty to me.lol

A woman could read the directions for taking aspirin, or from the phone book, in French, and it would be flirty to me.

funneman

Practically Family
I walked out of the bank in a grey suit with brown pinstripes my and Mallory two-inch brim the other day. A little boy with his mother yelled out "Ooh, he dressed like a magician."

I laughed out loud.
lol

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Doran said:
I went to Catholic Mass on Easter in Eugene, Oregon with my wife (I'm not religious, but she is and I'm a good husband). I had on a dark blue early 1940s DB, spectators, and my Lucien de Brabant 1950s gray fedora. On my way out, the priest grabbed my hand, shook it, and said "I like your hat! And your suit!"

Awful nice. I thanked him. Didn't tell him I'm an atheist.

Atheists don't wear hats to Mass FWIW....

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
As I've said before, I am currently working in retail, but allowed to wear my Akubra Fedora ... so I actually receive more than my share of really nice comments; several per day. I'd pass some around if I could.

The nicest comment recently was "I like your hat." Not clever, but imagine it coming, unprompted and completely random, from the cutest and quietest little three or four year old in recent memory lol

She was strapped in a cart that her mom was pulling from the front, so they had walked by at full speed and had already passed when the comment was made. The mom literally stopped in her tracks, turned around, and dropped her jaw ... trying to smile, but looking completely flabbergasted as if these were the child's first words. Mom seemed happy, but sort of embarrassed, and the kid just waved and smiled as they walked off.

Truly one to remember for me ...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
My new Panama

I have to say, I've been getting so many compliments over my beautiful PanamaBob Panama (via Art) that I have to mention it. This evening a guy on the subway said "Nice hat," and went on to say he thought my striped shirt might be seersucker, and how that would be so seasonal, given the very warm weather in New York today, and yada yada, etc. Very pleasant and friendly. It's a gorgeous hat, but the responses have been remarkable.
:)

Mike Hammered

New in Town
Fellow Loungers,

I've gotten so many positive comments over the years that I assume people only wish they could muster the courage to break ranks with their various peer groups; and let's be honest - the chicks love it!

Mike

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I stopped by a convenience store last night and the lady behind the counter said "I wish I had your hat!" and I said thanks.
She went on to say her husband wore baseball caps "24/7" and he's decided he wants to start wearing "a real hat". The lady said he'd been looking for one everywhere but to no avail. Another customer chimed in, "you can get those kind of hats at Wal-Mart, I betcha". The cashier looked at him like he was nuts and said flatly, "No, you can't".
I told her about some web sites I buy from and said "thanks for the compliment!".

ortega76

Practically Family
It was a little too rainy and humid (despite the cooler temps) to wear a suit to a little Sunday school concert today, so I stuck with a shirt and tie. I wore my old diamond crown stingy for the last time today- it's a wool jobber that's lasted me two years so I can't complain.

IMG_0689.jpg

I was the only dad/step-dad in attendance in a tie, never mind who wore a hat to the concert. I was told by most of the moms that I looked like a million bucks. I took the lid off inside, of course but it still got me noticed.

Bingles

A-List Customer
I wear a fedora all the time when I go out, and I get so many compliments all the time. People, young and old, come up to me to say they like my hat and it's refreshing not to see the ever popular baseball cap.

I wear a lid on my occasional visit to a bar, and ALWAYS get hit on because of the hat.. it's a classic look, and works great if you have the persona to pull it off.

Also... I wear one to Church of course, and I have noticed that other men have followed my example. About five other regulars wear fedoras to Mass... all under the age of 40. :D

univibe88

One Too Many
kabuto said:
I try to make a point of complimenting other's clothes (such as neckties) if I genuinely like them, giving a concrete reason if I can figure out exactly why I feel the way I do. I read that in a self-help book somewhere, and it not only brightens up interpersonal relations with people you know, but is a great conversation starter with strangers.

Keeping it simple and sincere, rather than funny/ironic/quasi-snarky/clever, is best.

I learned this trick from my daughter. She is 7 now, but ever since she could talk she would pay compliments to complete strangers. It's how she makes friends. I've seen her do it time and time again to both children and adults.

She'll start right away with "I like your shoes" or "That is a nice shirt" and she's got a friend in no time flat.

I'm very happy for her that she was born with such innate people skills.

DrSpeed

One of the Regulars
JEEP said:
I have gotten quite a few positive comments about my hats since I started wearing them regular basis.

One of the more "interesting" stories is this:

I had just gotten my Ab-dlx and was wearing it for the first time at my local shopping-mall, as I was heading for the exit a group of young (14-18) "gangster/thug" types blocked my way (being a big fellah' and a teacher of martial arts I wasn't afraid of them - but experience has taught me never to underestimate strenght of numbers), they stood there for a second looking at me, then a guy (a little older than the rest - most likely the "leader") stepped forward, smiled broadly and said "that is the cooles lid ever man", then everyone smiled and stepped aside for me to pass.

/Jakob

I've had a very similar experience lately. Late at night I had to get something from our surgery, which is located in a small shopping centre. Right before the place a gathering of semi-tough youngsters was going on. I figured there might be trouble, but I really had to go get this item.
I was wearing my hat of course, and somehow it made me feel I couldn't back down so, trusting my "medical immunity" I walked on.
One of them complimented me on my hat. I thanked him and returned the compliment for his car. We actually had a friendly chat and these guys turned out to be not so bad after all.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Yesterday, I wore my Grey Adam. In a CD store, where I bought some CDs and checking out in the cashier, the clerk asked me, "Have you tried Tompi?" Tompi is an Indonesian pop-jazz singer who wears fedora as his trademark. Of course it's typical wool / plastic straw with bling-bling headband so I won't bother, but at least his fedora has good shape. "He looks like you," said the clerk, smiling.

Well, since he said "he looks like you" instead of "you look like him" I consider it as compliment lol lol lol lol

Rather :eek:fftopic: Tompi comes from the word "topi" in Indonesian means "hat." See the similarities with topee (pith helmet) or even toupee (still related to head lol ) I wonder how does the resemblance come from...

Magus

Practically Family
"Hat, the Universal Language"

I'm Glad that this thread surfaced because I had considered starting one.

Yesterday I went through a Mexician Food Drive -thru (Alberto's) for a California burrito (carne asada, salsa, guacamole, cheese, and french fries...YUM). Typically the folks that work there speak menu english...that being, they can recite the menu items and the cost, but little else in english. Today was no different.

So I pull up to the windo, after getting my order and pying I was setting it down to drive off and the clerck say something that I couldn't hear so I pause and say

"Perdon?"

"Esta sombrero...es muy bueno" (The hat is very nice.)

"Ahh...gracies, es de Panama" (Ahh thank you, its from Panama)

"Que beuno, es hermoso" (Ohh good, its beautiful)

"Muchas Gracias" (Thank you very much)

As I drove off I couldn't help but thinking. Yes, I speak "hat" the universal language.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Magus, I know you know that Panama hats are not actually from Panama, but from Ecuador, right?
Anyhoo, I was standing in a line at the Duplex Cabaret in Greenwich Village Friday evening, wearing my newish Stetson, and the lady behind me says "That's a nice hat. Is it an Akubra?" It had to confess it was "only" a Stetson, but I gave her major points for being aware of the Akubra brand.

DrQuest

Familiar Face
Magus said:
I'm Glad that this thread surfaced because I had considered starting one.

Yesterday I went through a Mexician Food Drive -thru (Alberto's) for a California burrito (carne asada, salsa, guacamole, cheese, and french fries...YUM). Typically the folks that work there speak menu english...that being, they can recite the menu items and the cost, but little else in english. Today was no different.

So I pull up to the windo, after getting my order and pying I was setting it down to drive off and the clerck say something that I couldn't hear so I pause and say

"Perdon?"

"Esta sombrero...es muy bueno" (The hat is very nice.)

"Ahh...gracies, es de Panama" (Ahh thank you, its from Panama)

"Que beuno, es hermoso" (Ohh good, its beautiful)

"Muchas Gracias" (Thank you very much)

As I drove off I couldn't help but thinking. Yes, I speak "hat" the universal language.

I love it! What a great story!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
So the line in Spanish should be...
"Ahh...gracias, es de Monti Cristi en Ecuador" (Ahh thank you, its from Monti Cristi in Ecuador)...:p :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy