The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by The Wiser Hatter, May 16, 2011.

1. Desert dog

Desert dog My Mail is Forwarded Here

They all have great beards!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 and Hurricane Jack like this.
  2. We would like to get the photographer who does this to photograph a couple of our groups. To keep the expense of travel down he has to work it into his travel itinerary.

Desert dog, Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  3. Guido Capello
    IMG_3209.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

Jared Chadwick
    IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

Chad Holgerson
    IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3207.JPG

4. McDonald_County.jpg

Desert dog, steur, Yamahana and 5 others like this.
  5. Aarne Bielefeldt
    IMG_3259.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

Blake Ulmer
    IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

Taylor Welden
    IMG_3266.jpg

IMG_3204.JPG

IMG_3205.JPG

6. Victorian look in a Derby.

Zach Stacey
    I love this pic, the eye glass frames & magnification thru the lenses, fur collar, flaws in the tinplate, etc. Looks Victorian authentic I think.
    IMG_3226.jpg

Brian DeMage
    IMG_3211.jpg

Paul Slosar
    IMG_3234.jpg

Jason Schafer
    IMG_3264.jpg

Dennis Morgan
    IMG_3254.jpg

Joshua Durin
    IMG_3261.jpg

Chris Odom
    IMG_3267.jpg

Stephen Hunt
    IMG_3268.jpg

7. Norman Smith
    This pic always makes me think of Judge Roy Bean.
    IMG_3222.jpg

Judge Roy Bean
    IMG_3313.JPG

Sinjin Braden
    IMG_3265.jpg

William Ruffin
    IMG_3217.jpg

Chris Dial
    IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

Jeffery Mustache
    IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

8. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

9. Same photographer who does the tintype photography. He travels with a trailer full of chemicals for a darkroom & developing. Some of these pics don't quite fit the tintype era because of the way they dress, but I really like the ones that do.

I've been watching for pics & videos from the weekend but haven't seen anything yet. Only the standings have been posted. I went to Portland a few yrs ago & have pics taken in the parade & competition.

10. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Pearl Hart, the first woman to ever successfully rob a stagecoach.
    [​IMG]

11. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Outlaw Arkansas Tom Jones (Roy Daugherty)
    [​IMG]

Desert dog, steur, Zombie_61 and 3 others like this.
  12. carouselvic

carouselvic I'll Lock Up

13. Arm lost in a sawmill accident. Was burial a common practice?

Ken_Webb_Blue_Eye_1936.jpg

Ken_Webb_Blue_Eye_Arm.jpg

Yamahana, Desert dog, steur and 2 others like this.
  14. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

So, where's the rest of him?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  15. Kind of like Stonewall’s arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  16. I don't know but I would bet in the era before community hospitals it probably was. Today it's just so much trash for the incinerator.

Exactly. Not uncommon. Parts of William Clarke Quantrill are buried in 3 separate states.

In ~1975 one of my good friends was involved in relocating graves from 3 small cemeteries dating back into the late 1700's & up into the 1950's, into 1 new cemetery. A large number of the deceased were his ancestors plus he was on the county historical society at the time. A few yrs after it was over I asked him what they did on older graves with no vault & no casket left. He said state laws (they differ among states) require they dig down 6 ft, take a 24" x 24" x 24" Oak box & fill it up with any remains & dirt from that level. The oak boxes were buried in the new cemetery & any markers were moved. I said to him that you could be digging past the older remains or leaving as much behind as you were recovering. He replied, "Exactly."

17. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

When I was growing up there was a smallish neighborhood park called Founders Memorial Park a couple of miles from home. The rumor was that it had previously been a cemetery, and that when they converted it to a park they had to leave some of the bodies where they were. Several years ago someone reminded me of this, so I did a little research and it turned out the rumor was mostly true.

Founders Memorial Park was actually two cemeteries - Mt. Olive and Broadway (formerly Clark), which held a combined total of 1,291 bodies interred between 1888 and 1957. Both cemeteries had fallen into disuse and had been declared "a public nuisance" in 1959, and it was decided to turn them into a "quiet park". Efforts were made to locate descendants, but the remains of the "unclaimed" are still there and the names of the deceased are listed on two memorials in the park.

Yamahana, Desert dog, steur and 2 others like this.
  18. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Hurricane Jack and Zombie_61 like this.
  19. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

In my country space is limited and graves for eternity were and are considered a luxury. So burial rights can be bought for a specific period of time (with a minimum of 15 years I believe). After that period the grave is cleared, which is called "shaking the bones". The bones (embalming is forbidden over here) are collected in a bone pit and the space is available for a new burial. In smaller cemeteries (I live right next to one) graves are placed three layers on top of each other. This cemetery I live next door to doesn't offer any burial periods other than the minimum. The only exception is made for children's graves.

20. It would be sad enough to outlive your child but without exception it would be devastating to live long enough to lose their grave also.

Yamahana, steur, Bamaboots and 3 others like this.