Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The OED defines and dates 'fedora'...

Two Gun Bob

One of the Regulars
I seem to remember a question being asked about how far back the fedora hat goes, historically.

Well, the definition of fedora in the Oxford English Dictionary sheds some light on this, as it reveals dates when the word is mentioned and the sources. I thought Loungers might therefore be interested in reading what the OED has to say on the subject:

FEDORA

A low soft felt hat with a curled brim and the crown creased lengthways. Also attrib.

1895 Montgomery Ward Catal. 274/3 For ease, comfort and style, the soft Fedora hats lead all others.

1897 Sears, Roebuck Catal. 232/3 Our Young Men's Special Nutria Fur Fedora... Men's Full Shaped Fedora Hat.

1910 N.Y. Even. Post. 21 Apr., The fedora dented at wrong angles.

1916 S. LEACOCK Moonbeams ii. 23 There was no use in my having bought a sage-green fedora in Broadway.

1925 L. BROMFIELD Possession ix. 46 He took off..his brown fedora hat. Ibid. xvii. 100 In place of a warm skating cap he wore a Fedora hat pulled over his ears.

1926 Daily Colonist (Victoria, B.C.) 17 July 1/7 Men's Straw Fedora Shape Hats... A comfortable every~day hat for the hot Summer days; made in Fedora styles with black ribbon.

1930 Punch 26 Feb. 236 He carried a cheap black fedora in his hand.

1937 Times 11 Aug. 15/5 Soft hats of tweed and jersey material have stitched brims and fedora-shaped crowns.

1952 WODEHOUSE Pigs have Wings ii. 40 The investigations he has been making into the bumping off of the man in the green fedora.

YARVTON

New in Town
19th-Century Fedora

Well, the play was first mounted in 1882. And since Bernhardt was more famous than Madonna and Princess Di combined, I suspect many thousands of the hats were made by early 1883.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy