Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Original SPAM

DNO

One Too Many
Today's the 75th anniversary of that nugget from the Golden Age: SPAM. Originally marketed simply as Hormel Spiced Ham, it was renamed and re-released on July 5th, 1937.

spam.png

So, in the words of an ad from the time: "What's the treat for dinner? SPAM!"

green papaya

One Too Many
SPAM is a good substitute to use like bacon, fry it until it's well done and crispy and it's kind of like bacon

and keeps for a long time on the shelf, good to stock up for emergency rations

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Nothing beats "Not To Be Sold" USDA Surplus Luncheon Meat. It came in a round can, so when I took it to school for lunch I'd trim the round edges into a Spam-like rectangle shape so people wouldn't know we were on relief. And then I'd eat the trimmings as a snack while walking to school.

Adapting the recipe to my own tastes I would substitute spaghetti or angel hair pasta for the ramen and Louisiana hot links for Vienna sausage/franks (I can't stand the latter). The beauty is that you can put all kinds of stuff in it to suit your taste.

Last edited:

Talbot

One Too Many
I remember eating it often as a child. The stuff my folks got was called 'Camp Pie'. Same size can - probably cheaper. I won't call it a SPAM substitute as you could probably get SPAM too. Us kids got it as fried slices, or crumbed and fried slices.

I tried some recently in a fit of nostaligia. Its surprising how much your taste buds can change....

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It's no longer cheap food.

Too big for their britches, in my opinion. It's like spending $9 on hot dogs (this, I've seen).

I love Spam, but when compressed pork bits in a can cost more than just buying a pack of deli ham, I stick to peanut butter.

(There are few things better than fried spam planks on toast with mayo...mmm...)

TomS

One Too Many
My grandfather, a WWII vet, wouldnt touch the stuff. Said it reminded him of the war.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy