Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Pan Am Hat by Lee -- Has anyone seen one?

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Last year I picked up a Lee hatbox that once held "The Pan Am Hat by Lee". Has anyone seen or heard of such a hat?

Here's one photo of the box. I'll post it and a few more in the hat box thread.

PanAmHatbyLeeHatBox3.jpg

I found an a Lee that someone else posted elsewhere (vague, huh? I'm not sure what thread it was in) that showed the action taking place aboard an airliner but the hat in question was a Lee Adventurer.

So... anyone?

Cheers,
Tom

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Is this the ad you were remembering? ;)

jimmy the lid said:
I also found this 1952 ad:

AdventureAd.jpg

A few interesting points... In print too small too read here, the ad notes that it was "Photographed aboard Pan American's Clipper 'Undaunted.'" The Adventure is described as "light as air." Also featured are other Lee lids: the All-American, the Warren, and the Corral, all priced at $7.50. Apparently, all Lee hats were treated with DuPont "Aridex" to make them water repellent. The Adventure is a Blue Label quality, priced at $10. In another thread, Harp Player Gene posted a White Label Lee hat priced at $15. I'm not sure where Black Label quality fell in the Lee hierarchy.

Cheers,
JtL

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Ah, that's it, Jimmy! The Adventure, not Adventurer! I do have an Akubra Adventurer, must be why I remembered it with an "r" on the end. :D

But has anyone seen the Pan Am, or even an ad for one? [huh]

Thanks!

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran