Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Proper way to store leather jackets?

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Hello Friends,

I'm looking for some advice from you fellow leather jacket collectors. I have owned many leather jackets over the years. A-2's, G-1's, Indiana Jones jackets, vintage jackets etc. For years now I have always stored them in my closet on good quality wood hangers. I own over ten leather garments as of today. I'm thinking in terms of closet space, are there other ways to store them. Is there a better way other than hanging?

Of course I treat all my leather garments on a regular basis with proper leather conditioners. :)

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I can think of no better way than simply hanging on a decent wooden hanger in a well ventilated closet. Folding and storing in a cedar chest maybe? [huh] But I would be concerned about permanent wrinkles developing in places I didn't want them.:(

Bogie1943

Practically Family
My thinking behind this is about space mainly and care. I thought about getting a nice size rubber made style storage tub and folding my jackets neatly into it. Of course I would keep it well ventilated and clean. I think like most people, I want to wear one everyday but some summer days are just too hot. I'm not too concerned about wrinkles myself. A cedar box is a wonderful idea by the way.

I have heard that storing a vintage jacket on a hanger is not such a good idea. If memory serves me right I think laying them out flat is the best way to prevent further damage. As well as keeping them in a moderate temperature and humidity.

Hawk_Eye

One of the Regulars
I store most of my jackets laid out on a flat surface, but it really depends on what type of jacket and how old it is. I have no qualms about hanging my near mint 1969 Star G-1 as the leather is basically like the day it was sewn together, however I would never think about hanging my original Irvin. But laying jackets flat does consume more space than hanging.

I use the over-sized wide rounded plastic garment hangers and beefier wooded hangers with rounded ends for my A2s and utility jackets as pictured below. Never wire hangers.

100_0400.jpg

100_0418.jpg

As far as leather conditioner...never on a new jacket for me. After a few years of wear I may add a light coat.
HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav