Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Quintessential WWII Era Hat?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:
i've never come across a hat with such variable specs as the Whippet. Remarkable variation in hats of the same size ostensibly from the same era (decade) . . .

bk

Look no farther than the Open Road. Tremendous variations, especially in brim width.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Are you kidding Lawman??? That's WHAT I do!!! Heck, I had a client recently ask for a more modern look and unfortunately, I wasn't able to nail it as I literally couldn't put that much taper into a hat. My blocks are too old for it.

carldelo

One Too Many
Yep

dhermann1 said:
My guess is a razorback P-47. BTW, what ever happened to the "Identify this plane ... from the inside" thread?

I lost this thread for a bit when it merged - DHermann1 you have a good eye - My dad flew a Republic P-47D, called the "Darling Dorothy" after my mom. And I just saw that plane thread yesterday, I think it's in the WWII forum.

Dad300dpi.jpg

rokket

New in Town
BIG BIG BIG

Here's what I've noticed from watching 1930s and '40s stuff (films and photos of everyday life):

HATS -
CROWN: Tall
BAND: wide
BRIM: wide
FELT: soft

The hats all seemed very tall, very wide, very big (excepting various other styles). Modern hat makers trying to capture the 40s look don't seem to get it right. I bough a lovely Akubra CEO because the crown was slightly taller than most, and the brim slightly wider. I think it looks great, but I replaced the hat band with a wider one which still isn't as wide as Bogie's in various films.

My 2 cents!

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
The hats all seemed very tall, very wide, very big (excepting various other styles). Modern hat makers trying to capture the 40s look don't seem to get it right. I bough a lovely Akubra CEO because the crown was slightly taller than most, and the brim slightly wider. I think it looks great, but I replaced the hat band with a wider one which still isn't as wide as Bogie's in various films

Please take another look Rokket. The 1930s films and in real life were tall crown ( 5 3/4-6), wide ribbons, but _narrow_ brims. The 1940s is when wider brims came into vogue but rarely exceeded 2 3/4". You're statement about modern hatmakers not getting it right is a little too broad to be agreed with.

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Like this?

Art Fawcett said:
Please take another look Rokket. The 1930s films and in real life were tall crown ( 5 3/4-6), wide ribbons, but _narrow_ brims. The 1940s is when wider brims came into vogue but rarely exceeded 2 3/4". You're statement about modern hatmakers not getting it right is a little too broad to be agreed with.

Art... I have reason to believe these two Stetsons are older than most. I look for tall crowns and stingy-ish brims... What do you think?

C0000228937_3.jpg

C0000228925_2.jpg

rokket

New in Town
Hi Art,

True, my entire post was quite broad actually, and I mix 30s with 40s too generally!:eusa_doh: Didn't see the curled brims as narrow in 30s, but I certainly am no expert and bow to your knowledge. I will observe more closely, and appreciate the info. (and thanks for the crown measurement - gold!).

But I stand by my very general statement - somebody show me a modern hat that looks like the photos of real life and the movies. Maybe I'm just looking in the wrong shops, or not observing properly. Here's a 40s Sam Spade shot:

spade4.jpg

Everything is big, and the felt looks mighty soft (note indents/"wrinkles" at crown bash). I can't seem to find that myself, especially the soft. I have an Akubra Stylemaster, and it's a great hat! But it's not quite right. The CEO is awesome, but very stiff. Point me to a hat that could go back in time and be mixed in with originals!:)

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Johnnyphi, these could either be '30s or 60's with a touch wider brim. It's hard to say without seeing the liner, sweatband, etc. The *standard* brim width for the 30's was 2 3/8 but of course, like throughout history, it could vary depending on the client.
Rokket, I'd venture to guess that the Bogie pic you have up is no more than 2 3/8 brim and is one of the most studied. I guess I'm a bit bristled by your statement because I've found that I have great difficulty NOT making hats like this as it's where my training lies and the age of my blocks. May I invite you to take a look at my website listed in my sig?
If you are talking about production hatting companies, I would tend to agree with you as they feel their market lies elsewhere, but that's gradually changing.

rokket

New in Town
Art,

I'm just an idiot (but glad you agree about my average, general statement). I'm a newbie, and am just struck by the first major things that whack me - "aren't others seeing this?!!!"

Your website is excellent, and I'm sending you an email re an order (tho I have a feeling I may have to knock off a bank or something...lol ). Beautiful work, so glad you are doing it. Adventurebuilt does, but not in your league!

Small tech note - you can accept credit cards with PayPal, no hassle, and it means people don't have to sign up for PayPal. Maybe it will increase sales or make it easier.

Thanks for the great info and source Art!

johnnyphi

Sponsoring Affiliate
Sweatbands and Liners...

Hey Art, I should have included these photos in the first post. Niether hat could be from the '60s because Stetson stopped supplying Hirsch's in '46 or 47'. The brim width for both hats is 2". Also, note the wide sweatband, which I understand to be another sign of older hats.

C0000228925_3.jpg

C0000228880_3.jpg

Art Fawcett said:
Johnnyphi, these could either be '30s or 60's with a touch wider brim. It's hard to say without seeing the liner, sweatband, etc. The *standard* brim width for the 30's was 2 3/8 but of course, like throughout history, it could vary depending on the client.

Art Fawcett

Sponsoring Affiliate
Thanks for the additional pics Johnnyphi, now I can agree with you that it's early. My best guess would be mid to late 30's..perhaps even going into the very early 40's, but definitely early.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
My idea of the quintessential WW2 era hat:

*Big -3" brim, 5 3/4" open crown
*Reverse taper
*Cav edge
*Diamond crease with tight front dents
*Dark color

Dobbs001-1.jpg

Dobbs002-1.jpg

Dobbs003.jpg

Forum statistics