1. Lounge Update headed your way. Check the thread in the Observation Bar. If you don't like the light style, click the light bulb at the top-right of your screen.

The Real Reason Malls Are Closing

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by PrettySquareGal, Jun 27, 2017.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

He wrote another book along similar lines in the '90s called "BAD: The Dumbing Of America," in which he lambasted the malign influence of the Boys in creating an American culture that was not only "bad" but "BAD" in its silly pretentiousness. "Class" is funny in an arch, knowing way, but "BAD" is laugh-out-loud hilarious.

The cover illustration of "BAD" gives you an idea of the tone: an idiotically grinning Smiley face with a bloody bullet hole in its forehead. Highly, highly recommended.

vitanola likes this.
  2. OldStrummer

OldStrummer A-List Customer

For reference, see the movie, "Midnight Cowboy."

3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Yip, seen it all in part of London too - in my time, it's been most obvious in Camden, Notting Hill, and, increasingly, Brixton.

Taxi Driver also captured old Times Square very well. As, indeed, did Watchmen, though Travis Bickle was a direct influence on the character of Rorschach. (Indeed, they actually meet in the prequel comic book released in more recent years).

4. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I visited there in the very early 1980s. For me the film Times Square, with Robin Johnson, will forever sum up the atmosphere of the area at that time. Another good film from back then was Smithereens. I was in love with Bren (Susan Berman). I never lived in NYC but these two films reflect what I saw during those early visits. I was last back in NYC about a decade ago and what changes!

Edward likes this.
  5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Another crazy, crazy transformation is the tiny park (really just a very small plot of burned-out grass between streets) in the 1971 movie "Panic in Needle Park." It was (as so many smaller parks in NYC were back then) a frighteningly decrepit drug addict / dealer hangout that regular people stayed out of.

Now there's a small farmers market there on certain days. From heroin to locally sourced kale - you can't make this stuff up.

6. vitanola

vitanola My Mail is Forwarded Here

I thought that the word for them was "booboisie".

LizzieMaine likes this.
  7. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

That's what Henry (no pinko, he) called 'em.

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

I remember being told in 1996 by a guy who'd recently visited NYC that all the horror stories of Times Square had been "exaggerated" - "I found it was perfectly safe as long as you didn't hang out there past the time all the theatre crowds had gone home", he said. Of course that must have been around the time of Rudy's clean-up operation; by the time I visited in 2004, it was very much a hot tourist spot and as safe as anywhere I've ever been.

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You could argue that Times Square in the Era was as much a tourist-oriented spot as it is today -- certainly it was one of the "must see" spots for visitors to the city. The theatre trade has always banked heavily on the out-of-town crowd, especially when the movie theatres became dominant in the 1920s. When Warner Bros. leased the Winter Garden in 1928 and turned it into a picture house, and when the Palace switched from two-a-day vaudeville to three-a-day, many old-timers were deeply offended at such blasphemy, and grimly declared that "Times Square sure isn't what it used to be."

Edward and vitanola like this.
  10. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Ed Koch started some improvements in the '80 and, yes, Giuliani had done a lot by '96. I lived across town from TS in the '90s and it was a completely different place from the '70s. Hadn't fully become Disneyland, but it was closer to that than the '70s dystopia.

Edward likes this.
  11. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I visited Times Square in '81. Met up with an old friend and from there went to Yankee Stadium.

It didn't impress me as any more sleazy or dangerous than similar districts in several other cities. Maybe even less so.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    Edward likes this.