The Stratoliner Association {Premiere}

Discussion in 'Hats' started by rclark, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Exact same hat in multiple quality levels...? Then changing the names of those same quality levels every several years...?
    I dont like it.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
    Frunobulax likes this.
  2. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

where is the exact same hat in multiple quality levels ?

I've handled all these hats and they are quite different.

the largest difference coming between the Royal and the Premier ... night and day

there is also quite a difference between the Excellent and the Premier although not as big as the difference in the costume hat to the Premier in quality but the finish is completely different

TunedVWGti and M Hatman like this.
  3. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Thats what Im saying. Dont they make different grades of the same Strats and other models?

4. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

they always have

it's like anything else

Epiphone Les Paul
    Les Paul standard
    Les Paul studio
    Les Paul Custom
    Les Paul deluxe
    Les Paul special
    Les Paul jr.
    Les Paul sig series

TunedVWGti, M Hatman and Redfokker like this.
  5. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

I'd rather see them make a really decent, good quality, well made Stratoliner (or Whippet or Stetsonian etc) in rabbit at a lower entry level price point. Then offer the same 3 or 4 styles of well made, good quality hats in a rabbit/beaver blend at a higher price point and then finally offer the same styles in pure beaver at their final highest price point. I really don't get why the frequently change the names of their "quality" levels either.

Redfokker likes this.
  6. moontheloon

moontheloon I'll Lock Up

in a perfect world ... sure

but how often does any company offer anything like that today ...I sure don't see it

it's just not cost affective

M Hatman and Redfokker like this.
  7. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Strive for perfection.

Redfokker likes this.
  8. AND it has been like that in business for well over 150 years........look at the various levels of quality offerings in any military catalog from say the Civil War era. MANY levels of quality offered by the same retailer & many lines made by the same manufacturer.......
    As moon said.....it is good for the botom line......
    Best,
    M

Redfokker likes this.
  9. And they (Stetson AND all the hat companies) always have.....even going back to the 1860's.......think of the Knox 15, 20, 25 etc....Dobbs the same....yes this has been going on for a LONG time.....
    Regards,
    M

Redfokker likes this.
  10. Bob Roberts

Bob Roberts I'll Lock Up

Thanks for all yer input. As far as Im concerned their current quality levels go from overpriced "decent" to overpriced "worse" to overpriced "sucks." For the same style/model hat. I'd rather see real quality levels of "rabbit" and "rabbit/beaver" blend and "pure" beaver.

Rogera, RJR and Redfokker like this.
  11. Ok, I am posting my new cornhill Strat here too.....
    Cheers,
    M
    58693-0841621b66822c1a377ca8b2e5f24417.jpg 58694-0412fbb05a86ceb04794d9fbd892772c.jpg

12. Pilgrim

Pilgrim One Too Many

I just ordered a new Stratoliner True Blue from one of the classic hat shops, Paris Hatters in San Antonio. It will be a birthday present from my wife. Couldn't resist this one, as it has the classic look/feel.

[​IMG]

AbbaDatDeHat, BobHufford, RJR and 4 others like this.
  13. Bluesman60

Bluesman60 New in Town

I found an original pin for my Premiere Stratoliner. It was listed as a lapel pin! For once I got lucky. Not lucky enough to have a small head so I can wear an original Stratoliner, but....
    [​IMG]

14. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

By the by, word on the street (aka Matt Deckard's Instagram) is that Hatco will be discontinuing the open crown hats in the coming fall 2019 line.

I may have to snag a sage Strat or Royal dlx OR before they disappear.

TunedVWGti and Rmccamey like this.
  15. Don't know about the Strat but the RD OR is a stiff felt & comes factory creased, I believe.

16. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

True. The Premier is open crown. He didn't indcate if the quality designations were changing though.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

17. I'll certainly defer to any expert but I don't think the OR comes in a Premier version; the Royal Deluxe which is 6X felt, is the top of the line in a factory crease only.

Gotta run.

18. jlee562

jlee562 I'll Lock Up

True, not open crown. I was under the impression that the RD was softer than the 6x though.

19. Bluesman60

Bluesman60 New in Town

I had to hunt high and low for mine. I seem to have gotten the last one available in my size.

20. Quote:

"The legendary Open Road Royal Deluxe Hat is constructed of highest quality firm felt. Structured with a signature cattleman crown, matching slim grosgrain hat band, bound edge brim, interior roan leather sweatband and Stetson branded satin lining. Firm 6X quality felt, made in the U.S.A."

https://www.stetson.com/store/hats/western/open-road-6x-cowboy-hat-1.html?color=natural