Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Association {Premiere}

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
why would any company ever do that ?

that is terrible marketing and would be horrible for their bottom line

there has to be quality levels for every financial situation and demographic
Exact same hat in multiple quality levels...? Then changing the names of those same quality levels every several years...?
I dont like it.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Exact same hat in multiple quality levels...?Then changing the names assigned to each quality level...? I dont like it.
where is the exact same hat in multiple quality levels ?

I've handled all these hats and they are quite different.

the largest difference coming between the Royal and the Premier ... night and day

there is also quite a difference between the Excellent and the Premier although not as big as the difference in the costume hat to the Premier in quality but the finish is completely different

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
I'd rather see them make a really decent, good quality, well made Stratoliner (or Whippet or Stetsonian etc) in rabbit at a lower entry level price point. Then offer the same 3 or 4 styles of well made, good quality hats in a rabbit/beaver blend at a higher price point and then finally offer the same styles in pure beaver at their final highest price point. I really don't get why the frequently change the names of their "quality" levels either.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I'd rather see them make a really decent, good quality, well made Stratoliner (or Whippet or Stetsonian etc) in rabbit at a lower entry level price point. Then offer the same 3 or 4 styles of well made, good quality hats in a rabbit/beaver blend at a higher price point and then finally offer the same styles in pure beaver at their final highest price point. I really don't get why the frequently change the names of their "quality" levels either.
in a perfect world ... sure

but how often does any company offer anything like that today ...I sure don't see it

it's just not cost affective

why would any company ever do that ?

that is terrible marketing and would be horrible for their bottom line

there has to be quality levels for every financial situation and demographic
AND it has been like that in business for well over 150 years........look at the various levels of quality offerings in any military catalog from say the Civil War era. MANY levels of quality offered by the same retailer & many lines made by the same manufacturer.......
As moon said.....it is good for the botom line......
Best,
M

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for all yer input. As far as Im concerned their current quality levels go from overpriced "decent" to overpriced "worse" to overpriced "sucks." For the same style/model hat. I'd rather see real quality levels of "rabbit" and "rabbit/beaver" blend and "pure" beaver.

Ok, I am posting my new cornhill Strat here too.....
Cheers,
M
58693-0841621b66822c1a377ca8b2e5f24417.jpg 58694-0412fbb05a86ceb04794d9fbd892772c.jpg

True. The Premier is open crown. He didn't indcate if the quality designations were changing though.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
I'll certainly defer to any expert but I don't think the OR comes in a Premier version; the Royal Deluxe which is 6X felt, is the top of the line in a factory crease only.

Gotta run.

Bluesman60

New in Town
By the by, word on the street (aka Matt Deckard's Instagram) is that Hatco will be discontinuing the open crown hats in the coming fall 2019 line.

I may have to snag a sage Strat or Royal dlx OR before they disappear.

I had to hunt high and low for mine. I seem to have gotten the last one available in my size.

True, not open crown. I was under the impression that the RD was softer than the 6x though.
Quote:

"The legendary Open Road Royal Deluxe Hat is constructed of highest quality firm felt. Structured with a signature cattleman crown, matching slim grosgrain hat band, bound edge brim, interior roan leather sweatband and Stetson branded satin lining. Firm 6X quality felt, made in the U.S.A."

https://www.stetson.com/store/hats/western/open-road-6x-cowboy-hat-1.html?color=natural

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112