Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Association {Premiere}

triple-d

A-List Customer
PERFECT!!!!! Looks great hartfell.........hey when gt, hatophile and Alan gives you the thumbs up............you are good to go!!!!! Congrats it's a beauty!!!!!!!!!:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

hartfell

New in Town
Many thanks for the encouragement, guys! Much appreciated! I took my new hat out today for the first time and felt somewhat self-conscious in such a BIG hat - it's such a statement and I prefer to lurk under the radar - but nobody laughed or stared so I'm feeling a little more confident. May I ask gtdean48 how I would create a tad more swoop in the brim? I quite agree it's needed. Do i simply massage the brim up at the sides to encourage the front swoop? or is there more to it? This is definitely going to be my alaska cruise hat next month. It's my bucket list treat for the year and this hat is just made for Denali National Park!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
The funny thing is, I've had my eye on the Boss Raw Edge reissue and have been thinking my Stratoliner is so small! But, Hartwell, it looks right at home on your head.

I've been trying to give my brim a bit of swoop by just giving the brim a bit of a tug. I have a feeling this may need some steam.

I snap the brim down all the way around then work on working the backside back up leaving the front side swooped down.
On the initial prototype...
Before
PICT0005.jpg

After
PICT0003.jpg

hartfell

New in Town
Looks great. I love the rear taper down effect on the crown as well. I noticed that you and others have a different stratoliner pin to mine. Maybe I missed it in this or other premier strat threads, but mine is pinned upside-down, has red detailing and wings are more tapered inward.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Premiere Stratoliner is Royal Deluxe grade. The regular Royal Stetson grade Stratoliner model doesn't come in Cornhill.
Sounds like you have 2 Premiere Strats, one in Mink & one in Cornhill.
I think only change is sweatbands of newer Premiere Strats don't say Royal Deluxe like the first ones did (except for Jared's anomaly).
My earlier version Premiere Strat in Mink does feel stouter than this Silverbelly but that could be due to the bleaching of the felt body for lighter colors.
I have to ask this....where did you make your purchase? That is one really nice looking hat...makes me think of buying one for Daniel.
Thanks!

Looks great. I love the rear taper down effect on the crown as well. I noticed that you and others have a different stratoliner pin to mine. Maybe I missed it in this or other premier strat threads, but mine is pinned upside-down, has red detailing and wings are more tapered inward.

Those lame pins of actual Stratoliner planes came on the Royal Stetson version of the modern HatCo Stetson Stratoliner...they are horrendous to be kind...

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hartfell; your new Stratoliner looks great on you sir! I have to join gtdean and say the dimensions of the Premier Stratoliner are from days gone by, thankfully they're coming back!! The longer you hang around here on the Lounge, the more you'll like tall straight crowns and wide brims! :) Your hat looks great on you, you made a good choice! And welcome to the lounge, you'll love it here, and I know you'll soon be like the rest of us, this blessed addiction will grow on you and you'll keep adding to you hat collection. Some of the uninformed may even think you'll have a personal problem, but this one is a good personal problem! Wear your new Strat with pride, you already wear it well!!

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Premiere Stratoliner is Royal Deluxe grade. The regular Royal Stetson grade Stratoliner model doesn't come in Cornhill.
Sounds like you have 2 Premiere Strats, one in Mink & one in Cornhill.
I think only change is sweatbands of newer Premiere Strats don't say Royal Deluxe like the first ones did (except for Jared's anomaly).
My earlier version Premiere Strat in Mink does feel stouter than this Silverbelly but that could be due to the bleaching of the felt body for lighter colors.

You are correct. Both are Premier. I noticed DelMonico has posted the new Excellent Strat. on their website and offering in sage. I placed an order with Jeff about a month ago for a sage, I'll call him today and check if he actually has them in and if they are due to be shipped. Still waiting on my Grand Central from Sterling.

Joe

hartfell

New in Town
Hartfell; your new Stratoliner looks great on you sir! I have to join gtdean and say the dimensions of the Premier Stratoliner are from days gone by, thankfully they're coming back!! The longer you hang around here on the Lounge, the more you'll like tall straight crowns and wide brims! :) Your hat looks great on you, you made a good choice! And welcome to the lounge, you'll love it here, and I know you'll soon be like the rest of us, this blessed addiction will grow on you and you'll keep adding to you hat collection. Some of the uninformed may even think you'll have a personal problem, but this one is a good personal problem! Wear your new Strat with pride, you already wear it well!!

Thank you for the kind words, Preacher Man, and everyone else. I have purchased 11 hats over the past year and five of them I have just delivered to my local hat retailer on consignment. They're 2 inch brims or less and not classic hat makes except for a Cervo (but they were still expensive!). My taste in hats seems to be constantly changing (evolving, hopefully) but what is it with hats that causes this addiction? I have thrown good money away on these first batch of hats I want to sell. Why isn't one Panama for the summer and one good quality fur felt for the rest of the year enough? I now have one Cuenca Panama, one Montecristi Panama (in my profile pic), three Borsalinos, and now two Stetsons (the other is a Runabout in Caribou I bought last month). When am I going to wear them all!

Last edited:
hartfell,

You will find this a very engaging and sometimes frustrating hobby. I started out with a number of cheaper small brims I got from Ebay and a few modern small brim Stetsons and Dobbs. By the 3rd or 4th year of collecting these, I had moved on to 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 brims and higher crowns. Most of my initial hats have been given away or sent to Mr Fawcett to rehab for the Vets. I have hats in just about every color and style and more Open Roads than I can count. I have also in the last 5 years gotten 6 customs from Mr. Fawcett of VS Custom Hats. At this point, most of the desired Ebay vintage hats are now going for well over $200-$300 and some $500-$700, so I expect most of my future hat purchases to be custom or some of the new production vintage repros from Stetson or Dobbs.

Happy Hat hunting.

Thank you for the kind words, Preacher Man, and everyone else. I have purchased 11 hats over the past year and five of them I have just delivered to my local hat retailer on consignment. They're 2 inch brims or less and not classic hat makes except for a Cervo (but they were still expensive!). My taste in hats seems to be constantly changing (evolving, hopefully) but what is it with hats that causes this addiction? I have thrown good money away on these first batch of hats I want to sell. Why isn't one Panama for the summer and one good quality fur felt for the rest of the year enough? I now have one Cuenca Panama, one Montecristi Panama (in my profile pic), three Borsalinos, and now two Stetsons (the other is a Runabout in Caribou I bought last month). When am I going to wear them all!

Welcome to the support group.

Where we support your addiction, not your recovery.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I rescued my premiere from the postal service yesterday and man is this a nice hat! Beautiful color, nice soft finish, great sweat, great fit, and the pin looks petty accurate. As I am currently addicted to diamond creases that's what she got.

This is a very nice hat.

20151116_182434.jpg

20151116_182442.jpg

20151116_182508.jpg

20151116_185838.jpg

20151116_185301.jpg

I'll get some better pics in the daylight.
Checking out. Good night!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
looks great Roger

congrats on adding a fine hat to your arsenal

wonderful color as well..... great bash

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran