Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Underappreciated

Hand written letters are underappreciated. Many years back it was how a close friend and I communicated when our phone bills would get too high. We would write at least twice a week. The anticipation and reception of each letter was akin to Christmas day.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Hand written letters are underappreciated. Many years back it was how a close friend and I communicated when our phone bills would get too high. We would write at least twice a week. The anticipation and reception of each letter was akin to Christmas day.

A real letter is personal. Something the "electronic devices" just do not do.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Anyone with any sense wears a sensible pair of underpants. The so=called "traditional" option is a macho nonsense best forgotten.
You know I had to ask. I do understand that when wearing everything a person should wear "kilt" wise, there is more to what is being worn than what most people think, different "items" to complete the entire worn wardrobe. I had often wondered if there was some sort of "Cod" piece or device made to take the place of traditional "underwear" for a kilt.

Juliet

A-List Customer
Lizzie, I'm so sorry to hear that. I haven't seen an honest to God everyday newspaper in a long time, ever since we moved from England, and it is indeed saddening.

On the topic, this will probably sound strange :) , but I think time is underappreciated. What with everyone rushing and running and always being in a hurry and in stress. Not that I'm casting stones, I'm one of those people :) . But I can't help but have the impression, and feel free to correct me, that life used to be a teeny bit mellower.

P.S. Water. God, yes!

Edward

Bartender
You know I had to ask. I do understand that when wearing everything a person should wear "kilt" wise, there is more to what is being worn than what most people think, different "items" to complete the entire worn wardrobe. I had often wondered if there was some sort of "Cod" piece or device made to take the place of traditional "underwear" for a kilt.

Ah! I see. No, at one time, nothing would have been worn - just as was also then the norm in equine cultures (where trousers developed). But we're civilised now... ;)

Patience. We live in an impatient world. Everything needs to be done now. No time for waiting for things to progress naturally. Hurry hurry, I've got somewhere to be. Get out of my way before I run you over or cut you off. Slow down a little bit and enjoy before It is all over. Although, I will say that I am thoroughly annoyed by those who lollygag their way across a crosswalk usually while immersed in their phone.

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Not strange at all. We're made of mostly water. Water serves as transportation, food, cleaning. We'd be sunk without an adequate supply of it. In the southwest, and places like sub Saharan Africa, and Australia, the lack of it threatens the very survival of living things.
New York City's future existence is guaranteed by having a very abundant supply of clean frsh water available.
Millions of people guzzle unhealthy sugar and fructise drenched soft drinks, when they could be drinking plain healthy inexpensive tap water.
Here's to water. :cheers1:

...and we couldn't have our tea either without it. ;)

Gene

Practically Family
Privacy. We quite willingly give out our personal information and think nothing about it. It's impossible to maintain any form of anonymity anymore.

(A few) political leaders. We have become so cynical with our elected officials because they promise us the world and constantly let us down. However there are a few at the community and state-level that honestly want to be civic leaders and do well for their communities.

Film. Digital is cold and has no warmth.

"Please," "Thank you," "Ma'am," and "Sir."

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Anyone with any sense wears a sensible pair of underpants. The so=called "traditional" option is a macho nonsense best forgotten.

It's becoming the norm to expect undergarments to be worn with kilts in Canada, too. Going "regimental" is going by the wayside, even among our highland regiments!

I'm in the process of being kitted out in a traditional kilt myself. Campbell of Breadalbane.
I tried finding the skit on youtube, but no luck. Here’s a ref in wikipedia:
In the Monty Python's Flying Circus skit, "Ideal Loon Exhibition",[SUP][15][/SUP] one of the more popular attractions at the exhibition is the "Scotsman With Nae Trews Exhibit, Sponsored by Natural Gas". It features John Cleese, in full Highlander garb, standing solemnly on a pedestal whilst a line of old ladies come up one by one and take a look under his kilt.

Edward

Bartender
It's becoming the norm to expect undergarments to be worn with kilts in Canada, too. Going "regimental" is going by the wayside, even among our highland regiments!

I'm in the process of being kitted out in a traditional kilt myself. Campbell of Breadalbane.
I tried finding the skit on youtube, but no luck. Here’s a ref in wikipedia:
In the Monty Python's Flying Circus skit, "Ideal Loon Exhibition",[SUP][15][/SUP] one of the more popular attractions at the exhibition is the "Scotsman With Nae Trews Exhibit, Sponsored by Natural Gas". It features John Cleese, in full Highlander garb, standing solemnly on a pedestal whilst a line of old ladies come up one by one and take a look under his kilt.

Campbell. ???

Oh dear.

;) :p

Definitely Privacy seems to be underappreciated. Houses are built too close together and people are too willing to share the details of their life too freely and loudly too often.

Definitely Privacy seems to be underappreciated. Houses are built too close together and people are too willing to share the details of their life too freely and loudly too often.

Along those lines there also is a loss of a sense of shame. Privacy is a funny thing - so many people are driven to reveal all sorts of stuff about themselves and if you get to watch daytime tv shows like Dr. Phil, Jerry Springer and Maury Povitch show that people revelry in truly bad behavior. These are the things that a generation ago you would not have revealed to anyone and now they trumpet this stuff on TV.

TraditionalFrog

One of the Regulars
I would say with others newspapers & news magazines. I subscribe to the local paper and Time. Both are a shadow of what they once were, but still a pleasure. I much prefer to read my news that drudge through 30 minutes on TV (can skip over stories that aren't of interest where I can't with TV). As for news on the radio, at least around here... forget it (the local NPR station is passable). At least for the time being we have a daily, seven days a week. Really could stand to expand the City Desk as one page front & back seems lame for a city the size of Indianapolis.

The Post Office - This would be a big loss. I always use the Post Office over any other option if I have the choice. I have had better care taken of packages and delivery has always been on or close to time. Seems like they care a bit more than the other shippers. Also, my grandfather worked there after WWII until he retired in the 80's. It would be a shame and embarrassment if such a venerable institution as the Post Office were to fold.

Church Volunteers. I admit I'm not always able to stay and help, but I will make a freewill donation to help defray costs and to show appreciation. I also do some behind the scenes things to help my church as I am able. I don't just take the "handout" and run.

I concur with several others regarding women in skirts or dresses. They look sooo much better and far more attractive. It would be nice to see less trousers and more skirt!

Baseball. I'm not a beer and sports fellow either. The only sport I follow is baseball, and then lightly. So many men make a religion out of sports... jumping up and pointing, yelling at the man through the TV set... c'mon, like they can really hear you and it's going to change things. I may not like a call, but I don't get worked up... It's a game, onn a lazy summer day or evening. Anyway, I enjoy taking in a Reds game at Great American (gotta have the Big Red Smokies) or an Indians game at Victory Field (local minor league). Outside that I watch an occasional game on Fox Sports or more often listen on the radio. WLW comes in clear enough in the evening. I like the slower more leisurely pace compared to basket or football.

Cricket

Practically Family
Working as an editor for our weekly paper, I was interested in many comment on newspapers. Our paper comes out twice a week and is filled with strictly local news. No wire, nothing beyond our county. To many, that may seem odd but I think it's the community-minded publications that seem to be fine with today's market. We have a great response in our town with our work and I think it is because we are still dedicated to covering local politics, local sports, pictures of the largest cabbage this season, the local high school's play performance, a Boy Scout who saved a man's life, the times of our local veterans, etc.

It is refreshing to see many who still crave that type of service.

Off topic I know, but I feel letter writing, country drives, family dinners and manners are often underappreciated.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Working as an editor for our weekly paper, I was interested in many comment on newspapers. Our paper comes out twice a week and is filled with strictly local news. No wire, nothing beyond our county. To many, that may seem odd but I think it's the community-minded publications that seem to be fine with today's market. We have a great response in our town with our work and I think it is because we are still dedicated to covering local politics, local sports, pictures of the largest cabbage this season, the local high school's play performance, a Boy Scout who saved a man's life, the times of our local veterans, etc.

It is refreshing to see many who still crave that type of service.

That's *exactly* what a small town paper should be, and it's a niche the internet just doesn't fill. (And fortunately, we may have a public-spirited savior coming to the rescue of our own lamented sheet.)

I'll also second the vote for baseball. The promise of the arrival of Spring Training is often the only thing that gets me thru the black unspeakable horror of winter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran