Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Underappreciated

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Stay-at-home mothers and housewives. We have to be wives, mothers, maids, nurses, pharmacists (for OTC medication), referees, therapists, accountants, cooks, chauffeurs, seamstresses, secretaries, dishwashers, laundresses, etc. and all without getting a paycheck at the end of the week for our services. Frankly, I'd be glad just to get a "thank you" every now and then. My husband's workday ends the moment he walks through the door, but my day doesn't end until I put my head on my pillow at night.

Flicka

One Too Many
Quality. I was talking about this with my mother yesterday after buying my writing desk for less than a third of what something made out of cardboard would have cost me at IKEA. Like my mother said: modern things often look good, but when you look closely, they're flimsy and just thrown together. Food doesn't taste like anything - modern industrial chicken is like eating cardboard and don't get me started on bread... And yet people prefer the modern stuff to solid wood furniture, gorgeous high quality linen with hand-crafted lace and slowly cooked old-fashioned food.

I don't get it. Don't they like quality?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Baseball, despite its evolution, is the only sport that puts in a an 'old-fashioned' frame of mind. And the best way for me to reach that desirable state is tuning into a game on the radio on a hot summer day, outside in a lounge chair, with a drink at my side. Sometimes I'll drag a TV outside but it's not the same, and is actually more difficult now than it used to be because of that furschlugginer cable.

Manners and self-respect are definitely underappreciated, as well. What I see on TV, as pointed out above, and then that it's replicated by fols around me like it's the best thing since sliced bread, makes me ill.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was going to say 'proper service,' whether on the phone or in person. I don't understand how so many people put up with bad service, but then I realized that cheap prices trump everything else. I've always said I'll pay a little more if I'm treated well.

Formeruser012523

Call Me a Cab
I'd hafta agree with everything said so far. So much comes to mind when I think of what's unappreciated nowadays. But the main thing that pops up first are our elderly. So many cultures venerate their elderly & treat them with MUCH more respect than we do in America. There's so much knowledge there & life experiences that we should take time to learn about.

Makes me miss my grandparents.

Also, our heritage. Makes me wonder what my generation will have to show those that come after us.
What will we tell them about? Snooki?

*yucky*

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
It sounded pretty final last nite -- a couple of the people here at the theatre also worked at the paper, and they went over last nite to see if they could collect their last paychecks and the locks had already been changed. Real classy operation. (Did I mention the owner of the paper had just sold the building to the county for $500,000? No doubt he's running to the train station even as we speak with a grip full of fifties and hundreds.)

If I had any money I'd start a paper myself. It's all anyone is talking about on the street today, which says to me that there's still a place for real journalism here.

Lizzie, I thought of you when I read about the newspaper shutting down.

You and your friends should start a local news blog. You can make some money from placing good ads on it!

I can't understand why they didn't leave the site up and have a skeleton operation at least. There must be more to the story!

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Great thread! I would have stated "photographic film" and especially "quality" if it wasn´t already mentioned so in connection
to "Terriers" I´d say "Sighthounds".

Frank

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lizzie, I thought of you when I read about the newspaper shutting down.

You and your friends should start a local news blog. You can make some money from placing good ads on it!

I can't understand why they didn't leave the site up and have a skeleton operation at least. There must be more to the story!

There's a really good analysis of the situation here. What's really outrageous about it all is that just a few years ago he managed to con a philanthropic foundation out of $800,000 for a "New Media" concept that never made a nickel. At last the 21st Century has its one true Kingfish.

However, plans are moving ahead for the papers to return under new ownership. Last word I've heard is that they should be on the streets again in two weeks -- and if there's a website, it'll clearly be subordinate to the actual print newspapers. Which is how we like things here -- we didn't reject the papers and cause them to fail, we rejected the cheesy content the prior owner insisted on putting into them.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
There's a really good analysis of the situation here. What's really outrageous about it all is that just a few years ago he managed to con a philanthropic foundation out of $800,000 for a "New Media" concept that never made a nickel. At last the 21st Century has its one true Kingfish.

However, plans are moving ahead for the papers to return under new ownership. Last word I've heard is that they should be on the streets again in two weeks -- and if there's a website, it'll clearly be subordinate to the actual print newspapers. Which is how we like things here -- we didn't reject the papers and cause them to fail, we rejected the cheesy content the prior owner insisted on putting into them.

Thanks for that link.

I feel the same about Maine Today Media. Sometime around 2007 they went from providing news and (some) investigative journalism to a focus on "new media" and those "Maine interest" stories you mentioned. Since 2007 they have changed ownership and leadership while apparently almost not making payroll not too long ago when a new investor came along:

http://www.mainetodaymedia.com/pressrelease/mainetoday-media-has-terms-for-new-capitalization/.

Here is an example of the current state of investigative journalism:

http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/embdenorigin-of-katie-crotch-roads-name-a-mystery_2012-03-09.html

Another practice is that they simply copy stories from other newspapers without doing any fact checks or spell checking.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up

Another:

Newspaper fails to resolve Brunswick tax delinquency

http://www.theforecaster.net/news/p...ails-resolve-brunswick-tax-delinquency/117074

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran