Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Vintage Twinkie

D

drafttek

The original banana creme filled Twinkie has returned. Prior to WWII, Twinkies were filled with banana creme, not vanilla creme. The banana shortage caused by the war necessitated a change in filling. They are quite tasty, to that I can attest. I wonder how they compare to a true pre-war Twinkie. Anybody have an original Twinkie to compare it to? It should still be fresh.

Ellie

Familiar Face
Very interesting. You learn something new everyday. It's just so interesting how WW2 affected every facet of life, even down to the little Twinkie. I will have to try one.

Zig2k143

Practically Family
I love useless trivia...

3 Musketeers is a candy bar made in the U.S. by Mars, Incorporated. It is filled with a fluffy chocolate nougat in the middle. It is known as the Milky Way bar in most other countries.

When introduced in 1932, 3 Musketeers had three pieces of candy in one package, flavored vanilla, chocolate and strawberry, hence the name. In the 1950's the single vanilla flavored bar had two shallow scores. It was marketed as the candy bar that was so big it could be shared with two friends.

Story

I'll Lock Up
drafttek said:
The original banana creme filled Twinkie has returned. Prior to WWII, Twinkies were filled with banana creme, not vanilla creme. The banana shortage caused by the war necessitated a change in filling. They are quite tasty, to that I can attest. I wonder how they compare to a true pre-war Twinkie. Anybody have an original Twinkie to compare it to? It should still be fresh.

If you value your sanity, be careful. :p

http://www.twinkiedeconstructed.com/Twinkiewebsite/Welcome.html

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ah, you bring back fond memories. I'm just now recalling Buffalo Bob Smith on the Howdy Doody Show, circa 1952, telling all us kids how DEEEELICIOUS Hostess Creme Filled Cupcakes were, with the little squiggle of icing across the top, and the SURPRISE INSIDE! But I had no idea that Twinkies went back that far!
I do know that Tootsie Rolls go back to the turn of the century, and were created by an Austrian confectioner. I'd really like to see how different the recipe for them is now than then.

MrNewportCustom

Call Me a Cab
Minimum, Shminimum!

I love cake in all it's fine forms, but I keep consumption of it to a minimum for reasons of corpulence. I did not know about the banana cream filling before WWII. I'd like to try it. I love banana. :D

Three Musketeers! One of my favorite candy bars. And the ONLY one that causes the hinges of my jaw to hurt on the first bite. Personally, I don't get it. But, then it goes away and I finish the bar in ecstasy.

Another favorite candy bar of mine is Rocky Road. I've bought an entire box of them (12 bars) at Smart and Final and eaten half of them by day's end. Needless to say, I also keep them to a minimum, and for the same reason. :)

Lee

"Minimum" is such a fun word to type. :D

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Twinkie Weiner Sandwich

The snack made famous by Al Yankovic in "UHF" is the Twinkie Weiner Sandwich.

"A Ball Park hot dog cooked to plumpness encased in a Hostess Twinkie Snack Cake and topped with Cheez Whiz Brand cheese spread, dunked in milk."

Now, doesn't that sound yummy?

Cheers,
Tom

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:
The snack made famous by Al Yankovic in "UHF" is the Twinkie Weiner Sandwich.

"A Ball Park hot dog cooked to plumpness encased in a Hostess Twinkie Snack Cake and topped with Cheez Whiz Brand cheese spread, dunked in milk."

Now, doesn't that sound yummy?

Cheers,
Tom

That was a fun movie.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Maj.Nick Danger said:
A very wise decision. But everyone should experience a twinkie at least once in their lives. lol

True. Very true. Well I must say that, yes, I've tried a twinkie once or twice in my life....:rolleyes: lol so that I've had that 'metaphysical twinkie experience' already. :p

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Call me Mr Naive....

But I thought a 'twinkie' was something that Stars did in the dark of night [huh] Again, this is a cultural difference and I have 'no idea' what you ladies and gents are talking about!![huh] What on earth is this 'twinkie' business...?

CharlieH.

One Too Many
PADDY said:
What on earth is this 'twinkie' business...?

TWINKIES-c2.jpg

Only the world's most indestructible snack!

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I had heard that Twinkies were banana flavored back then. Hmm, I'd like to try the new banana Twinkie, but I hate the taste of artificial banana flavoring... I'm sure I'd have loved them back before the war, when they probably used real bananas somewhere in the process, but nowadays, I doubt it. :rolleyes:

Miss Crisplock

A-List Customer
Bought a box of them: ate one and left the rest for the guys working on the house. They're delicious!!!

Bananna make the twinkie make sense! Really, better than vanilla by FAR!

Tommy Fedora

One of the Regulars
My brother was a Twinkie fanatic but it never really caught on with me. I was more of a Ring Ding (the BIG original) man with an occasional Turkish Taffy for diversion. He also liked those marshmallow covered Hostess cup cakes that I thought were gross.

panamag8or

Practically Family
Senator Jack said:
Hostess and Drake's Cakes will never be the same as long as they keep using corn syrup. They should have an 'originals' line made with the original recipes. You know how good Yodels and Yankee Doodles were back in the 70s? And whatever happened to Ring Ding Sr.?

That and Coca-Cola.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails