Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The War Lover

SSuperDave

New in Town
I've seen the movie several times over the years, and have been enthralled by the Martin Caidin book, "Everything But The Flak", which documented the true story of how three B-17's were resurrected and flown in formation to England for the filming of the movie. This past weekend I found the John Hersey book of the same name. It is the grittiest, most realistic human story of the air war over Europe that I've ever read, especially for fiction. Anyone else read it?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
yes I read it about 25 years ago, a very good book.
No one ever mentions this though, the Steve McQueen characters name in the book is Buzz Marrow, in the Film it is Rickson.
J

Phantomfixer

Practically Family
I have read the War Lover and seen the movie. Both VG. Martin Caiden's book "Flying Forts" briefly describes the treck to AZ to pick up three B-17s for the movie.
Will have to read your book sounds interesting...
on a sidenote..after reading Flying Forts back in the very early eighties....I thought there might still be some B-17s left out there...planned a trip after school to visit...Never made it to AZ after high school... Finally made it to the boneyard a few weeks ago....saw a few of the planes,,,, wasn't able to make the tour...next time always next time...

Angus Forbes

One of the Regulars
Partly, the War Lover was inspired by the heroism of Raleigh, NC native General Alexander Boyd Andrews (now deceased) who brought his B-17 back to England after the entire nose was taken off by German flak. This action saved the life of several wounded crew members. Andrews, whom I knew well, was a fine gentleman of many talents, and a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal.

Last edited:

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Have a look at Google Earth, Bovingdon Hertfordshire if you want to see where some of the film was made. Some parts are easy to explore(the market area) but the owner of the other half is not easy to get on with and is fed up with amateur historians tramping about his land without permission.(The airfield that is)

Last edited:

SSuperDave

New in Town
"Everything But The Flak" is a great story, a bunch of larger than life personalities doing something that could never happen today. As a kid, I wanted to be like them, as an adult, well, I wanna be like them!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner