Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Whistle Special

Uncle Vern

One of the Regulars

I was walking across a parking lot in Austin the other day when a skinny old Texan walked by wearing a very cool old cowboy hat, wide-brimmed and low-crowned, with a generous ribbon and a bound edge. I said "Nice hat ya' got there." He shot back "Ya' like it? Gimme ten bucks and it's yours." So I did. I felt funny about it at first, because he looked like he wasn't doing too well. I offered to give him ten bucks and let him keep the hat, but he wouldn't hear of it. So I gave him twenty.
This hat is a "Whistle Special," named after the gandson of a well-known Fort Worth family named Ryon that sold western wear. Grandpa was called "Windy," his son was "Little Windy," and Windy's kid was "whistle." The Ryons all over the web, mostly in regards to cutting horse competions.
I thought I'd post the hat for the sake of the story, but I should describe it--4-inch brim, 5-inch crown, no liner, lots of moth holes under the brim, very nice felt fur. I called Ryon's in Forth Worth. They all the "Whistle Special," and guessed it was pretty old.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Sounds like the opening scene of a ghost story! If you see that guys face in some 1870's history of the Texas Rangers, don't be surprised! However, that is a truly phenomenal lid. A real Texas hat.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
I like the story behind that hat, and the hat ain't bad either! I hope you get a lot of joy out of both (the story and the hat). ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24