Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Wizard of Oz 70th Anniversary

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
In celebration of the 70th anniversary of The Wizard of Oz, theaters across the country will be playing the movie in high def. for one night only. On Wednesday September 23 you may be able to catch this classic on the big screen.

Check with theaters near you for availability and times!

Here's a link:http://www.tcm.com/movienews/index/?cid=253835

K

kpreed

Went to the website and found no info, know of any Denver area showing?
Thank You.
Ken (if I only had a brain)

Cricket

Practically Family
Great, I found my local theater. I can't wait. I wonder if anyone will come dressed as their favorite character?

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Cricket said:
Great, I found my local theater. I can't wait. I wonder if anyone will come dressed as their favorite character?

You might want to check with your local theater. They might even have a costume contest with prizes. That was true the last time I saw The Wizard of Oz in the theater....

But wouldn't it be cool to go in our vintage finery as the original patrons did?

Cricket

Practically Family
Joie DeVive said:
You might want to check with your local theater. They might even have a costume contest with prizes. That was true the last time I saw The Wizard of Oz in the theater....

But wouldn't it be cool to go in our vintage finery as the original patrons did?

That would be perfect! I think it is a fantastic feeling to go to the theaters in vintage attire, especially with such a great classic playing.

I was staying with some friends last minute in Memphis and was unable to pack something nice to wear when they played Casablanca here. I am going to have to go all out for the Wizard. I can't wait to see some pics!

Also, a character contest would be something fun too, especially I bring the little one. He loves the scarecrow.

K

kpreed

Thanks, would you think Colorado Mills might work for a lounge members meet-up? ( before I get my tickets )

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
kpreed said:
Thanks, would you think Colorado Mills might work for a lounge members meet-up? ( before I get my tickets )

I don't see why it wouldn't work. It's a bit out of Denver, but it's the closest one to me too. Shall we make it an event for the Denver area?

K

kpreed

Sounds good to me! I will work to get our two tickets and we can all meet there. That is all that can do it, being a weeknight and all.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Yea!

Ok, for Coloradans only, here is a link to the event thread I started for us: Denver Area- Wizard of Oz Movie Night

For everyone else, remember, this is a nation-wide celebration, not just Denver. There will be theaters across the country showing it. Mike in Seattle kindly posted the link to the site that can tell you where it's playing near you.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
A bunch of us went to see The Wizard of Oz last night and had a fun time. I hadn't seen it since I was a kid, and found a lot more going on than a nice girl on an adventure trying to get home.

• Nothing got done until Dorothy stopped complaining and started trying to help herself and others.
  • The woman on the bike/witch owned half the town/had a castle and a small army. Money talks.
  • I've often wondered why Dorothy didn't want to stay in Oz instead of going back to dreary Kansas. Why not bring her aunt and uncle there? But when you're a national hero, you have no place to go but down. The wizard retained his halo by being a recluse/showman.
  • Glinda the good witch didn't stay with Dorothy. Kids have to have some independence to grow up.
  • It's often said that bullies collapse under a little pressure. Sometimes--but some of them really are dangerous.
  • People aren't always what they seem (like Prof. Marvel and the Wizard, "frauds" but good people; the Scarecrow); but sometimes they're exactly what they seem (the witches).
  • "You're confusing cowardice with wisdom," said the Wizard to the lion, remarking that he ran away in the face of danger. Aristotle said that courage was the middle way between cowardice and rashness.
  • Why didn't Dorothy's aunt and uncle stand up to the woman who was after Toto? They weren't wishy-washy around the farm--did they think they just couldn't fight city hall?
  • What was really the deal with the shoes? Did they really have any magic power, or does a great pair of shoes really make you feel that good?
  • It's funny how people think they need validation.
  • Luck plays a part--sometimes a major part--in life..
  • You can tell a good story in an hour and a half.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Castle Guard Mount

The Castle change-of-guard drill is my favorite scene.
Bad-ass cadence. :D
...and I like the flying monkeys too!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I saw THE WIZARD OF OZ this morning as part of the New York Film Festival. It was a beautiful print, and as a bonus, Lorna Luft (Judy Garland's daughter, as I'm sure most of you know) and five of the actors who played Munchkins were on hand.

The Munchkins seemed to have a grand time, and they got a standing ovation.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
One more thing: it's useless trying to tell most people about a metaphysical experience.

There's a book called Philosophy and the Wizard of Oz. I haven't read it, but I've enjoyed some of the other books in the philsophy and popular culture collection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo