Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World According to Jack Webb

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I just watched an episode of Dragnet (1968) on Sleuth TV. While the "hip" lingo (fuzz, The Man) was laughable, I always find the lectures Joe Friday gives in the shows to be pretty spot on.

There is a super high cheese factor when showing drug use or hippy life or the time Joe tried to pass himself off as a "college" student. However, he talks a lot about tolerance and understanding of people and their beliefs, backgrounds, and weaknesses.

Sure, he is S-Q-U-A-R-E but a good kinda square.

Anyone think otherwise? I'd consider myself left of center but good common sense is good common sense.

Does anyone know of a Jack Webb biography? I know he was huge jazz fan, plus a co-star of the classic "Sunset Blvd." He even talked his way through a hilarious album called "Jack Webb Sings." His rendition of "Try a Little Tenderness" is as brittle as bone.

I wish some of his other films, The DI and -30-, were available on DVD.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Jack Webb was definitely one of the good guys. Long before "Dragnet" he produced and narrated a radio program called "One Out Of Seven," which was one of the most outspoken programs of the era in attacking racism and bigotry. He also had his own satirical comedy program for a while, "The Jack Webb Show," which was sort of a West Coast answer to the sort of slashing comedy Henry Morgan was doing in New York at the time.

A friend of mine, Michael Hayde, wrote an excellent book on Dragnet, "My Name's Friday", which contains a lot of biographical and background information on Webb and his various programs.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I remember staying up late to watch -30- one night years ago. The news came on afterward and just as I was about to shut it off, they had the late breaking announcement that Webb had just died while watching TV. I've always wondered if that movie was what he was watching.

I just watched an episode of Dragnet (1968) on Sleuth TV. While the "hip" lingo (fuzz, The Man) was laughable, I always find the lectures Joe Friday gives in the shows to be pretty spot on.

Why was it laughable? It was just of its time.

Anyway, Webb in Dragnet 68 is actually one of my style icons. Not much for the crewcut, but I dug those threads, baby.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Mark Harmon tells the story of his first meeting with Jack Webb. Jack and Mark's father (football legend Tom Harmon) were good friends and Jack agreed to help Mark break into acting. Their meeting took place at Jack's "office", a tiki bar in Malibu, during which Jack consumed a half dozen rum & cokes in their hour together. Harmon said that Webb was Joe Friday in appearance, speech and mannerisms.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
Why was it laughable? It was just of its time.

Anyway, Webb in Dragnet 68 is actually one of my style icons. Not much for the crewcut, but I dug those threads, baby.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Oh I agree they were of the time but the were tossed into the script so obviously - like someone who read an article about the slang and used to show they are "current" or "with it." I always cringe when I hear the hippie slang. I much perfer the slang of the 30s and 40s.

As for the clothes, I read that Webb only had 2 suits for he and Harry Morgan. It made it easier to shoot scenes for different episodes at the same time. They didn't have to worry about changing clothes.

A funny take on old Joe Friday can be found here:
http://www.acidlogic.com/im_jack_webb.htm

Be aware it was written by an former National Lampoon writer so the language is adult.

anselmo1

One of the Regulars
This is one of my favorite posters from the late Jack Webb!

39412531_o.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Something's different about you, Jack

jack-julie.jpg

Original Jack: Early '50s, the Sunset Boulevard days. Jack projects the image of an easy-smiling cat, good with a quip, fond of built-up shoulders, hot music and classy night spots with a hot canary by his side. He was fixing to be a classic noir personality. It didn't happen.

America changes. Korea. McCarthy. Ike. Jack changes with it.

bwjk.jpg

Friday Jack: This is the Jack of the Cold War and the counter-counterculture, The DI with the volume turned down to three. This Jack never cracks a smile, never says a word out of place. His tie is always black, his hair cut by the numbers, his world all glaring daylight and metal desks and mostly all men. He carries a badge. He IS a badge.

I miss the old Jack. He could have been a real pal.
The new Jack is a moral compass - maybe.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Julie London was looking good here.........

jack-julie.jpg

..........even with her elbows on the table.:eusa_doh:

Hondo

One Too Many
I have to agree, Julie London, I never realized she was much older, wow what a beaut ;) I'll forever remember Jack Webb saying "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts..." :)

The story you are about the see is true,the names have been changed to protect the innocent

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Hondo said:
I'll forever remember Jack Webb saying "Just the facts ma'am, just the facts..." :)

I read somewhere, but can't find it to quote here, that Webb NEVER said "Just the facts, ma'am" in Dragnet. That line came from Stan Freberg's parody "St. George and the Dragon-net." It does though certainly fit with Webb's staccato, no-frills lines from Dragnet.

It's much like how everyone swears they heard Bogart said "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. His actual line was "Play it, Sam."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Brian Sheridan said:
I read somewhere that Webb NEVER said "Just the facts, ma'am" in Dragnet.
From IMDB: Contrary to popular belief, his character, Joe Friday, never said, "Just the facts, ma'am" in any episode of "Dragnet". The actual line was, "All we want [or "need"] are the facts, ma'am."

Hondo

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
I read somewhere, but can't find it to quote here, that Webb NEVER said "Just the facts, ma'am" in Dragnet. That line came from Stan Freberg's parody "St. George and the Dragon-net." It does though certainly fit with Webb's staccato, no-frills lines from Dragnet.

It's much like how everyone swears they heard Bogart said "Play it again, Sam" in Casablanca. His actual line was "Play it, Sam."

Wouldn't you know it :eusa_doh: Thanks for correcting me, my god I haven't seen Dragnet in years, will have to look up Stan Frebergs parody.
Yeah you could see Jack Webb saying something like that lol

Mickey Caesar

Familiar Face

There is a super high cheese factor when showing drug use or hippy life or the time Joe tried to pass himself off as a "college" student. However, he talks a lot about tolerance and understanding of people and their beliefs, backgrounds, and weaknesses.

Sure, he is S-Q-U-A-R-E but a good kinda square.

Anyone think otherwise? I'd consider myself left of center but good common sense is good common sense.

Does anyone know of a Jack Webb biography? I know he was huge jazz fan, plus a co-star of the classic "Sunset Blvd." He even talked his way through a hilarious album called "Jack Webb Sings." His rendition of "Try a Little Tenderness" is as brittle as bone.

I wish some of his other films, The DI and -30-, were available on DVD.
I remember one episode where Friday had to deal with a snotty acting kid and he told him "Your Momma has a loud bark"

Last edited:

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Jack Webb fans should check out the 1948 film He Walked By Night, starring Richard Basehart as the heavy. Jack Webb has a small part in it as a lab tech. The film is CLEARLY the model for what became Dragnet on radio, and later TV. It even starts with the narrator talking about the virtues and vices of Los Angeles.

Doug

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points