Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The World of Franz Kafka

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I've recently developed an interest in 1920s author Franz Kafka and in addition to reading his works, I'm also fascinated with the atmosphere of 1920s Europe, and I'm searching for imagery that resembles the kind of thing I imagine looking like Orson Welles' The Third Man and of course, The Trial. I was wondering if there are any books or websites that collect the images of 1920s Europe with that Kafkaesque environment I seek.

I'd also like to discuss the man's work and life. I'm going through that first initial burst of interest, so any Kafka admirers out there feel free to chime in with your views.

Among my most-desired films I wish to own on DVD is Steven Soderbergh's KAFKA. I've only seen it once, upon first release twenty years ago. I loved the imagery and atmosphere this film has and Cliff Martinez contributed a fine score, as well. I know I'd appreciate this movie more now than I did as a twenty-year-old back in 1991. If any company releases this film to dvd, I hope it's Criterion.

Here's the film's trailer:

[video=youtube;1bf4QVM0RII]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bf4QVM0RII&feature=related[/video]

davidraphael

Practically Family
I can thoroughly recommend Robert Crumb's Kafka bio-graphic-novel.
kafka2.JPG

KBC.jpg

For the period there's also Jason Lutes' graphic novel set during the Weimar Republic, Berlin:
berlin48.png

On the Berlin front, I wrote about it in the film thread, but you might check out: Berlin, Symphony of a Great City
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?59188-Berlin-Symphony-of-a-Great-City-(superb!)

And you can't go far wrong watching Fritz Lang's 'M'. I watched it again recently - wonderful film. Very ahead of its time.
Annex%20-%20Lorre,%20Peter%20%28M%29_02.jpg

If you don't mind moving a little further east (to Moscow) you may well very much like Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, which he started in 1928 and it touches on Kafka's kind of dark surreal irony.
It was named one of the best books of the 20th century:
begemotNYC.jpg

Last edited:

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I very much enjoy the works of Kafka, both novels and shorts. I'm no literary critic, so whatever I put forth is conjecture here. I greatly admire his use of the seemingly absurd and surreal to describe real human emotions. For instance, after finishing The Hunger Artist, one can't help but feel pity toward the futility of the main character as he struggles with his confession.

Same goes for The Metamorphosis; the main character is so pathetic, so benevolent and so utterly heartbreaking one cannot help but feel pity.

I'm trying not to give away plots, btw. I really like Kafka and I'd say he's a major influence in how I write fiction. He's dark, pensive, sad and absurd at times. Excellent author, hands down.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Kafka at one time had a significant impact on my life. When I was in college, and reading many of his works, I found it was the first time I could discuss literature with my father.

Despite having taken literature (especially literature of the Golden Era) pretty seriously for years, it was the first set of fiction I read that my father had read too. His work made an impression on both my father and me. I can distinctly remember one almost two hour phone call in which we discussed the Metamorphosis at length, particularly focusing on its analysis in regards to mental illness.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran