Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thermador

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Picked this little guy up at PCC flea market on the cheap last Sunday... I've been after one of these guys for a LONG TIME!

One of the earliest art deco styled heaters I've seen... made by THERMADOR and from what I understand is they were made here in California... They had two plants, one in LA and one in Oakland. I'm trying to find any info on these heaters so I can date it. I'm almost sure it's from either the late 20s or early 30s.

What do you all think?

smokysj1.jpg

I took it apart and cleaned it up a bit and checked the connections and I use it regular! It works great and seems to be happy... I just would love to know more about THERMADOR, I have another one that's a little later, I've posted it here before... it looks like the grill to a 30s car... anyway, if anyone here has any info on THERMADOR, let me know!

Johnnysan

One Too Many

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Thanks, that's a bit of a help! Though, the diagram pictured looks something different... but, I'm sure they made all sorts of models and such... this three coil heater is on the rare side, a pal of mine has managed to find three of the same model... and then another pal found one on ebay.

I would like to find the address and see if the building may still be there... or maybe find a photo of the plant where these were made.

Nice find? Why thanks! I think so! ;) I've been on the hunt for one of these for years now... I have tried to talk my friend out of one of his but, he didn't want to break up the family so to speak lol

I'll take a photo of the top so you can see the real deco grill work! It's something else!

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Thermador is still around. Now they make high end kitchen appliances like exhaust "hoods" that raise up out of the counter for cooktops that are in center islands and you don't want anything overhead. Very cool heater.

Matt

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Yes, Thermador is still around! I found a site that had some history about them. I guess they started around 1916 and were making small electrical appliances like toasters and such. In the 20s I read that they started to make a heated stool for farmers to who didn't care for cold stools in drafty barns in the winter. By the early 30s they were making space heaters... then as time marched on, they started to make stoves and bathroom wall heaters. I wonder if I can contact the company today and see if they have any archives with info on the heaters I have?

I'd sure love to find a catalog and see some of the other models they offered. I wonder what department store carried Thermador heaters... not sure if it was Sears, maybe Wards... don't know. [huh]

I have been lucky, I always keep an eye out for the earlier pieces and I seem to find them in good shape! Heck, that little guy is next to me keeping me warm right now as I type this!

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Your Thermador heater is of a style that was commonly offered in electrical goods catalogs in the 'teens. I these designs were continued through into the 9120's, of course, but the last listing for a standing heater of that pattern (that I can recall0 was in a MESCO wholesale catalog of about 1923, and even then, Manhattan Electrical Supply Company was notorious for offering close-outs of old stock.

Note that the first of the design patents referenced in an earlier thread was for a fan forced bathroom wall heater.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
That is interesting, useful information I must say! However, I seriously doubt my heater is that early. Here is a shot of the top, it is strong in it's early Art Deco design. A type of Deco that was popular here in California from 1929 to about 1933.

thermadortopfu9.jpg

Here is a photo I took of an early standing electric heater I saw at an antique shop few months ago.

earlystandingheaterbr2.jpg

That one is from the teens; they were a little more classically styled then my heater. Thermador (from what I have read) started to make free standing heaters in the late 20s or early 30s. Thermador is a West Coast company, they came to the space heater a little late in the game... and that's only what I have read off the net from a site that gave a little history I found yesterday.:D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Yes, the detail on your thermador is definitely 1920's.

It's overall shape, however, echoes that of the bulb electric fires pioneered by Thompson-Houston and later General Electric before the turn of the century.

The eastern manufacturers which which I am familiar were making more "modern' designs by the late 1920's. I am referring specifically to General Electric, Westinghouse, Hotpoint, Victor, Manning-Bowman, Electrohome, and a few others whose products turn up regularly in these parts..

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Oh yes, the style of the THERMADOR has an earlier look, however I'm 99% sure it was made within the early 30s since THERMADOR started making space heaters around that time.

I've seen those bulb type of heaters... I'd love to find one in working order... they tend to go for some $ but, some day I'll get one. I always have thought they were rather neat.

These old heating appliances and other sorts of early electric appliances (especially fans) are so fun to collect and to use!

Thanks for the useful info!

Say, if anyone here has early heaters they want to share, by all means... SHARE! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou