Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They Say Em' From the Golden Era - Slang & Memorable Phrases

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
Help a Digger

When I was a kid we moved from Sunny Melbourne, Australia to Boston, US(of)A. Within my first few weeks of school a another kid brought in something extraordinary to show the teacher. Like a good little Australian I exclaimed "What the bloody hell is that?!". At which point I got a dressing down for swearing. Both "bloody" and "hell" are pretty vintage and inoffensive expletives in Australia and I'm unsure to this day which word was more offensive to my bean-town listeners. I think it was bloody but its really common here so I've never been sure.

example:

During WW1 in 1917 the Germans retreated to the Hindenburg line leaving the city of Bapaume behind which was then investigated by an Australian patrol. The officer in charge returned to his CO and reported..

Office: "They've hopped the bloody twig. They're out of it."
CO: "Who? The Boche? Out of Bapaume?"
Officer: "Yes. The bloody place is empty."
CO: "Your a bloody liar."
Officer: "Bloody liar be damned. You give me the bloody battalion and I'll take the bloody place right now!"

He did... and he did.

So could a friendly yank set me at ease so I can finally die a happy man ;)

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a friend whose grandmother would mutter, when presented with a particularly badly dressed person, "The things you see when you don't have a gun".

Caroline

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of using "ring-a-ding-ding" instead of "wow" or "hot" etc.

I've swiped a lot of slang from film over the years. "Miller's Crossing" introduced me to the classic "take your flunky and dangle."

Burnsie

Expressions used to register surprise:

"Well I'll be dipped in gravy"
"Well cut off my legs and call me shorty"
"Well I'll be a monkey's uncle"

For some reason they all began with "well" around these parts

shortbow

Practically Family
Slick as deer guts on a doorknob.

Feel like I been et by a coyote and s--- over a cliff.

Lower than snake s--- in a gopher hole.

Whatever suits you just tickles me plumb to death.

He looks like death eatin' a cracker.

Dead as a stick.

Feelin' fine as frog hair.

Rare as hen's teeth.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
LizzieMaine said:
Slick as a cup o' custard.

Also: Lookin' as slick as a horse hair couch!

Some other great ones for tellin' someone off...

Ah, go chase yer self!

Yer full of beans!

Make like sub... SUBMERGE!

Take off before I clock ya one!

Oh yeah? I'll paste ya one kiddo!

Or, when I'm hungry, I always say this:

When are we goin' to tie on a feed bag?

I could eat a hip off a horse!

Tellin' ya'll right now, 30s movies have the best terms!

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Miss 1929 said:
I had a friend whose grandmother would mutter, when presented with a particularly badly dressed person, "The things you see when you don't have a gun".

Oh I am so using this one! Presented with such situations at present I am commonly heard to say, "Now I'll have to poke my eyes out." but I really like this one.

Also, it is told to me that from a very young age I have been fond of saying "Crikey Moses!" whenever I am really ticked off at someone. Apparently my great grandmother used it commonly, (even though she died when I was 7) and I must have picked it up. That and her ability to hit people with a cane from twenty paces!
Does anyone know what vintage this expression is?

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
This thread is the bee's knees. :)

When my son got to the age where he started repeating everything Daddy said, I made a concentrated effort to cut down on my swearing, and used older slang whenever possible.

Turns out that saying "Criminey!" irritates people more than plain-ol' f-words...

carter

I'll Lock Up
SuperKawaiiMama said:
Oh I am so using this one! Presented with such situations at present I am commonly heard to say, "Now I'll have to poke my eyes out." but I really like this one.

Also, it is told to me that from a very young age I have been fond of saying "Crikey Moses!" whenever I am really ticked off at someone. Apparently my great grandmother used it commonly, (even though she died when I was 7) and I must have picked it up. That and her ability to hit people with a cane from twenty paces!
Does anyone know what vintage this expression is?

REALLY? Both you and your great grandmother are/were able to hit a person with a cane from twenty paces? That IS impressive! :eek: :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
Is it arm extension, thrusting, throwing, thwacking, or, alternatively, is it hurling a missile at a person who is using a cane?

I have no idea concerning origin, but my grandmother was fond of "criminetly" from time to time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner