Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They Say Em' From the Golden Era - Slang & Memorable Phrases

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I remember when I was very young, teenagers were saying "Hubba-Hubba" (I may have the spelling wrong). I don't know what it meant exactly, but got the idea that you said it was something was really neat or beautiful, i.e., a gorgeous new car.

Does anyone know about this saying? Time-line would have been mid or late 40's.

karol

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
They Say Em' From the Golden Era

Many phrases came from various points in time. Phrases and expressions like "Just around the bend" or "keep it cool" and even "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going". A lot of phrases and expressions came from movies, others came from word of mouth, or the slip of the tongue (another expression). Do you know any phrases, expressions, or anything related that came from the Golden Era?

moustache

Practically Family
Maybe a wee bit earlier...

happyfilmluvguy said:
Many phrases came from various points in time. Phrases and expressions like "Just around the bend" or "keep it cool" and even "when the going gets tough, the tough gets going". A lot of phrases and expressions came from movies, others came from word of mouth, or the slip of the tongue (another expression). Do you know any phrases, expressions, or anything related that came from the Golden Era?

but i have always liked "some Kodak,eh?" and "monster!".
They sound bizarre today.My how language and slang evolve!!

JD in Vancouver,Wa

Sunny

One Too Many
I've found myself picking up words and epithets from old time radio. I'm using the term "louse" where I used to say "jerk," and using it all the time. I also say "film" or "picture" instead of "movie"; I have to stop myself so I don't confuse the person I'm talking to.

I like "solid," too, though I haven't nerved myself up to use it yet. ;)

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I use quite a few. One I noticed I've fallen into is "Let's hit the bricks." when it is time to go.
This might be :eek:fftopic: but I also say "bread and butter" when a post goes between my wife (or kids) and me.

Sincerely,
The WOLF

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nerd = "Icky"

Someone who wasn't socially acceptable, a bit of a squarehead.

My Dad used to come out with some classic late 30's and 40's sayings. "Go to town," was a favourite, when someone did something with vigor. Then there was the classic expression of disgust, "Swallow me bloody tonsils!"

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Well, one old lady (86) I know still says 'fan me with a wet kipper!' if she is surprised or meaning worn out.
Another one which I still am not sure what it means is 'chase Aunt Fanny round the garden'. It has nothing to do with backsides, as it is an English saying, not an American one!
I think it might be another expression of surprise?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Since about 1945, a hepcat is a moldy fig. (As opposed to a mouldy fygge, who can't abide saxophones, rhythm guitar, or riffs.)

As to "icky" slang, may I quote from the 1940 Woody Herman opus Get Your Boots Laced Papa:
Don't be a square from Delaware...
Don't be a goon from Saskatoon...
Don't be an ick from Battle Crick...
Get Your Boots Laced Papa

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I like "Knock me a kiss!" and "What's it to ya?" ha ha! I've always thought 'masher' was amusing... probably not the act of mashing:eek: lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points