Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They Say Em' From the Golden Era - Slang & Memorable Phrases

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Changed meaning

How about this one: I saw another thread called "For Geeks Only" that made me recall hearing that the original meaning of the word "GEEK" was a carnival side show performer who bit the heads off chickens. Am I making this up? (I often make things up without realizing it.) Sounds extremely weird, but I think this may be true. Excuse me while I do some Googling.
Edit: Yup. I just checked it out on Wikipedia. Very weird.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
My grandmother would use "banging a kettle" as a synonym for yapping or yammering. "Quit banging a kettle over it."

My mom, being rushed, followed, or when people or cats would take her seat, "Would you be so quick into my grave?!"

My mom also says "from the get-go" for from the beginning, and everything is "yea high."

-Viola

Jessica Reinard

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
How about this one: I saw another thread called "For Geeks Only" that made me recall hearing that the original meaning of the word "GEEK" was a carnival side show performer who bit the heads off chickens. Am I making this up? (I often make things up without realizing it.) Sounds extremely weird, but I think this may be true. Excuse me while I do some Googling.
Edit: Yup. I just checked it out on Wikipedia. Very weird.

Ever read a book called 'Geek Love'?

One to google and definitely one to read!

GeniusInTheLamp

One of the Regulars
Here's a couple more I heard in the movies:

"Jiggers!" (Look out, someone's coming)

"For the love of Pete!" (same as "For Pete's sake")

Also during World War II, members of the French Resistance who needed to relieve themselves would say, "Je vais telephoner a Hitler".

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone remember the term gat?

Came from shortening Gattling gun to just gat. Was used during the prohibition era to name any gun, but specifically the thompson submachine gun, aka The Tommy Gun.
th_violent069.gif

dr greg

One Too Many
freak out

dhermann1 said:
How about this one: I saw another thread called "For Geeks Only" that made me recall hearing that the original meaning of the word "GEEK" was a carnival side show performer who bit the heads off chickens. .
Everyone usually quotes Tod Browning's FREAKS in regard to this stuff, but an equally interesting if melodramatic look at sideshow carnie culture and the "geek" is this one

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Alley_(1947_film)

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More Aussie 30's/40's phrases care of my parents/relatives

"To shoot through" - to leave.

"I haven't got a brass razoo." - I'm flat broke, have no money at all.

"Donkey's years." - a long time, as in 'I haven't been there in donkey's years.'

"Woop Woop" - a mythical place meant to be very far away, as in 'He lives out in Woop Woop.'

"Have a Barney" - to have an argument or fight.

"Hoo roo." - good bye.

"Don't come the raw prawn with me, mate" - Don't try to fool me.

"Moosh" - Mouth, as in 'I'm gonna give that bloke a smack in the moosh.'

"Knock off" - To finish work.

"Gasbag" - To talk a lot; or a long chat; or someone who talks a lot.

"Dinki-di" - Good or authentic.

"Ropable" - Extremely annoyed.

"What d'ya think it is, Bush Week?" - I don't believe you.

"Cakehole"- Mouth.

"The Wallopers" - The police ( a favourite of my Father's).

"Hard yakka" - hard work.

There's an American phrase you often hear in the old movies, but is seldom heard any more, and that's "So long!" when someone's saying good bye.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
i greet with "What's new, buckaroo?" every once in awhile

and ill throw ",Jack." on the end of certain sentences, like: "I ain't goin' in that house, Jack!" or "Don't mess with me, Jack"...somethin' like that...

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Historical Slang

What are your favorite old-time slang words? Do you use them in your everyday speech?

I love 50s slang, although there are some that I use more than others. I use the words "cat" and "square" pretty regularly. I use "dig" and "hip", as in "I'm hip" or "I dig", but with less regularity. I've always loved the phrase "get bent", although it dropped out of my lexicon a couple years ago. Perhaps it's time to revive that one.

"Daddy-O" is my absolute favorite, but I tend to only use it with cats I'm romantically connected with.

SpitfireXIV

One of the Regulars
:eek:fftopic:

the phrase "get bent" was reprised by the Simpsons in the 1990's. although, now after going through scuba classes, the phrase means something entirely different to me: actually getting a case of the bends (aka Decompression Sickness). that's about the last thing i would utter around divers.

i use the phrase "What the Sam Hill" a lot -- from "It's a Wonderful Life." that's about it for me...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy