Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They Say Em' From the Golden Era - Slang & Memorable Phrases

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Could be worse

Dixon Cannon said:
In upstate New York, they refer to it as the 'basement'! I hadn't a clue what they were referring to! In England it's the 'bog' or the 'loo'! I don't care for this trend that is now starting, referring to it simply as the 'toilet'. I saw signs in the terminal at DFW recently; 'Toilet'. That's a bit crase for a public venue me thinks.

-dixon cannon

In Australia always beencalled the toilet. Better than "the *bleep*" lol

funneman

Practically Family
My mom used to say...

-He's tighter than Dick's hat band.

-I didn't know him from Adam.

-You put a hand on me and you'll draw back a bloody nub.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When I was in elementary school in western New York State, we called the bathrooms "the basement" because that's where they were. Maybe that was a standard construction practice in turn of the century schools?????
Also, when I was a kid, in the e 50's, the old geezers (lie in their 70's) referred to your bike as your "wheel".
A WWII phrase my mother used all the time was "Is this trip necessary?"
My grandmother used to say "That and a nickel will get you a cup of coffee", in response to any statement she wasn't impressed with. Shows you how long ago she started buying coffee.
The term "loo" for bathroom comes from the old French phrase "Gardez l'eau". In pre plumbing days, people would empty their chamber pots right out the window (one of many reasons to be glad we live in the current era) and shout that phrase, which means "look out for the water". It became "Gardey loo" eventually. Finally the word loo came to refer to the bathroom.
Any of you youngens not know what a chamber pot is? Be glad.

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Describing drunkenness: 3 sheets to the wind.

And when describing the size of something: "Yay big" (showing size with hands)
I had to explain that one to a roomful of confused 3rd grade students once! lol

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
Dixon Cannon said:
In upstate New York, they refer to it as the 'basement'! I hadn't a clue what they were referring to! In England it's the 'bog' or the 'loo'! I don't care for this trend that is now starting, referring to it simply as the 'toilet'. I saw signs in the terminal at DFW recently; 'Toilet'. That's a bit crase for a public venue me thinks.

-dixon cannon

I've not heard a W.C. called a 'bog' for ages; I think it might be a schoolboy word. 'Loo' is more common, but both are more characteristically 'working class' words in England than 'lavatory' or 'toilet'.

Since both 'lavatory' and 'toilet' are places/processes of washing rather than defecation, neither is really crass - they're both euphemisms. And they sound less prissy and contrived than the standard American 'bathroom'/'washroom' or, worse, 'little boy's room'.

Prof Branestawm

Familiar Face
dhermann1 said:
The term "loo" for bathroom comes from the old French phrase "Gardez l'eau". In pre plumbing days, people would empty their chamber pots right out the window (one of many reasons to be glad we live in the current era) and shout that phrase, which means "look out for the water". It became "Gardey loo" eventually. Finally the word loo came to refer to the bathroom.
Any of you youngens not know what a chamber pot is? Be glad.

While that derevation makes sense, the OED believes that the term 'loo' is somehow derived from 'lavatory' or from 'Waterloo' (station) as slang for Water Closet (W.C.).

CharlieH.

One Too Many
A few more that came to mind -

Well, whaddya know...
Something's rotten in Denmark...
Get wise to (blank)
Ain't I a stinker?
I'll knock him colder'na wet mackerel!
YOWSAH!
How d'ya like dat...

JazzBaby

Practically Family
My gran was born in the countryside, so she has some great expressions. For example, when someone is particularly dishevilled: "You're like an ass looking over a half-door." For clarification purposes, ass as in donkey... :p

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Dixon Cannon said:
This one is in reference the the Dusenberg automobile, which was considered the standard of luxury in it's day! "What a Dussie!", was a high compliment.

-dixon cannon

I actually knew this... Although I spelt it wrong.... I am a trivia geek but I suck at spelling.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
When my mother was a Welfare worker in rural Chautauqua County, NY in the late 50's she heard an old farm lady say that she wore her shoes "to meeting, to market and to mill". Very quaint.

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
How about "It's cold enough to slaughter a hog in here!".
There's another one with a nun in it that my grandma always used to say, but I can't remember it right now.
-Stormi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points