Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

They Say Em' From the Golden Era - Slang & Memorable Phrases

olive bleu

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
In America, people say most of these phrases as a platitude and don't actually WANT to hear how you are and in fact would look at you as if you grew a third arm if you started to actually say how you were

One would use these same things even if you were bleeding to death......;)

Sad but true.:) Although sometimes if i run into someone who tends to be particularly condescending, i like to treat them to a lengthy account of exactly how i AM doing:D

Feraud

Bartender
olive bleu said:
Sad but true.:) Although sometimes if i run into someone who tends to be particularly condescending, i like to treat them to a lengthy account of exactly how i AM doing:D
I appreciate condescending people. It shows me exactly how insecure they are. :)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
especially when you can see the strain on their faces as they attempt to feign genuine interest:)

To me, that's not condescension, that's just artifice. I don't always associate the two.

Sarge

One of the Regulars
Hemingway Jones said:
I like to say, "How do you do?" when I meet someone. It has a bit of Old Time charm to it.

Somewhere along the line I got in the habit of saying "Good to know ya" when I first meet someone. I'm not sure where I picked that up but I'm sure it was from an old movie or radio program.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Earlier today in a forum post (different forum) I used the term:

"XXX is jake with me!"

I don't know how far that one goes back...but 50's at least.

T.E.W.Clough

New in Town
Back in the late 30's early 40's, the legendary King of Swing Cab Calloway compiled "The Hepsters Dictionary: The Language of Jive", all that jive talk those swinging hepcats were spoutin' back in the day. A fantastic resource!

Found a transcript of it online and I figured it may well be appreciated here on the lounge, so here it is!

http://www.dinosaurgardens.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/hepsters.html

Darhling

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
This might be a cultural difference then.

In America, people say most of these phrases as a platitude and don't actually WANT to hear how you are and in fact would look at you as if you grew a third arm if you started to actually say how you were.

The acceptable answers to "How are you?"

are

"fine, thanks and you?'

"doing okay, and you?"

etc.

One would use these same things even if you were bleeding to death......;)

Exactly! I am very glad you agree with me that there should be some sort of polite answer! :)

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Pilgrim said:
Earlier today in a forum post (different forum) I used the term:

"XXX is jake with me!"

I don't know how far that one goes back...but 50's at least.

Jake. That's good, I'm going to use that.

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Say, we're gettin' back in line here... took a side track a second there with this "How do you do" malarkey... we're hashin' out what slang da middle class boys and dolls used way back when, not proper English. Non of dat "high brow" stuff!

When one would greet another friend or gal, they'd addres them in this way:

What do ya hear, what do ya say? Or: How's tricks? What's cookin'? What's buzzin' cousin? Or: Hiya pal! Or: Hello (name) what's the storry? Or, this is what my grandfather would say: Shake, speer, kick in the rear, glad to see ya from the top ol' pal! And there's actions to that as well, it's pretty funny!

I like "Jake" also, "No dice" or "No soap" work well in a situation when something ain't "Jake".

Also, when a tough guy asks a guy to "dance" he's amin' to "fix" his "little red wagon" and not to "trip the light fantastic" so to speak!

For dancers, when a Jitterbug asks a cookie to the floor for some rug cuttin' he may say: Let's drag a sock baby! Or: Ok squirrel, let's twirl! If they're an "Icky" means their square, and strictly from Dixie! "Elbow benders" aren't "hep" to the jive, their off the beam! Ya know what I mean jellybean? Yeah, their all wet! (Wet meaning a wet blanket... a kill joy and not wet in the modern sense :rolleyes: )

"Rube" is also a classic 30s term... the best ting for anyone to do is watch old flickers any chance they can get... toss out da idea of watchin' modern pictures for a wile, study the classics, you'll pick up all the slang and learn how to use it so you wont come off as a goofus, savvy?

Now, it's important not to mix your Jitter bug jive slang with your hard boiled tough guy slang... the two should never meet... two different woilds completely! Then, you have the "Golly, gee whiz, super keen" kids of preppy circles... hahaha. That's square talk.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Forgotten Man said:
Then, you have the "Golly, gee whiz, super keen" kids of preppy circles... hahaha. That's square talk.
This thread is such a fun read! Please teach me more square talk, or give me a link to a dictionary for squares...

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
Nah, you don't wanna talk like a "Square Bear"! Ya wanna be in the know, have all the answers, ya fallow? But, if ya really don't, just watch "Leave it To Beaver"... it's full of hold over 40s terms that kids and youth used since the 40s into the 50s. I don't have any links to pages that will give you all the words, but I find the best teacher is to watch movies and such of the period and you'll get the real education regarding slang and how to use it. ;)

Since last night, I recalled another popular term you never hear ANYONE say! And that is... FOUR FLUSHER! Which translates to a phony, a cheater... or a chiseller.

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sarge said:
Somewhere along the line I got in the habit of saying "Good to know ya" when I first meet someone. I'm not sure where I picked that up but I'm sure it was from an old movie or radio program.
I've also heard Glad to know you. Both of these seem like things I'd want to hear.
Has anyone mentioned Go soak your head! for times when we're not feeling so neighborly? ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Forgotten Man said:
When one would greet another friend or gal, they'd addres them in this way:

What do ya hear, what do ya say? Or: How's tricks?

I use "How's tricks" all the time when greeting the concession kids as they report for work and none of them have the slightest idea what it means. Finally, one of them said "Tricks?? I don't turn tricks!!"

The language, sadly, has changed.

Meanwhile, may I offer my favorite riposte, circa 1929: "Ahhhh, go sit on a tack!"

deadpandiva

Call Me a Cab
I have been trying to work jazz slang into my everyday speech but nio one will indulge me.
Some of my favorites are:
I'm down to twos and fews, Plant you now and dig you latter, Munitions (for face powder),Water Proof for a naturally attractive girl and the exclamation Murder!.

I also like Harp for Irishman. I am not sure if that was supposed to be dirogitory but I always thought it was cute.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
retrogirl1941 said:
These slang words are from a 1937 issue of Ladies Home Journal. They wanted to keep girls going off to college informed of the latest slang.

Hardware- Fraternity Jewelry
In the Swish-In the know
Pitching Woo-Necking
To Jelly- A soda and cigerette date
Wolfing-Stealing other girls dates
Wheel a sled-To drive a car
Kee Wee-Good, Swell

I love kee wee and in the the swish! I have been using those a week straight and nobody knows what I am saying.lol But other than those swell has a permanent place in the vocabulary.

Samantha

The had cigarette dates? Is it me, or does that just seem foreign for someone born in today's era (even though we love the vintage)?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner