Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin hair help

pretty faythe

One Too Many
My mom has asked me to do her hair somewhat like mine, i.e. victory rolls, reverse rolls. The problem I face is that she has extremely thin/fine hair. (Thin as in balding) Has anyone faced working with such hair and what have they done to help it.

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I have a friend with thinning hair due to thyroid problems. She wears hers as fluffy as possible and kinda short. It takes work, but it looks pretty good.

I've seen ladies with pattern baldness like guys. If your mom is actually bald in spots there isn't too much you can do, except maybe a comb-over.

I would use a lot of hairspray, tease it full, and if you can get a natural looking rat, maybe use that. Curls would look better than straight hair if it is thin since it adds fullness.

Aside from that, I can't think of anything. Maybe one of the other ladies has better ideas than me though.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I have an older lady client who's hair we grew out long, about shoulder lenth with a few layers. I would set it, then put a french roll in the back and pile the rest up on top in barrel type curls. She may not want the back long, but perhaps if she grew out just the top and sides to be able to do some sort of faux rolls??

In the past we have also used hair peices on top. I'd put it on and have her hold it, while I'd pull some of her own hair thru it like a frosting cap. This blended it in and held it in place with little clips.

Otherwise you'll just have to set it and tease it well, then mold it into rolls. The lighter her hair color,the less you see her scalp. If it's darker it really shows.

Beware of some of the hair plumpers out there, such as Fat Cat by Redken. They can add too much protien and make the hair more brittle.

Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou