Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Ribbon shots from movies

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I didn't particularly see thin ribbon, but recently I watched a series of detective movies from the '40s starring Lloyd Nolan as Mike Shayne.
They are terrific movies, very entertaining, light hearted and with some really cool hats featured in them ... not to mention suits, cars, and gals ... all from the '40s.

Certainly worth a look,

Sam

RBH

Bartender
This was RBH's response a ways back in this thread to a question about what thin-ribbon Jimmy Stewart was wearing in The FBI Story. I just watched this movie recently, and I would absolutely bet my bottom dollar that he is wearing a Borsalino Alessandria. The height of the crown and the style of the ribbon, combined with the way that the felt creases/wrinkles (indicating a very thin felt), screams Borso to me.

Cheers,
JtL

I tend to agree with you Chief, but what makes me think Borsalino is the bow placement.
From my screen shots from the film [FBI Story, the bow looks to be high. I would also suggest that it is the same hat in Thunder Bay.]
The bow is stitched high on the crown on both my new and vintage Alessandria. Unlike the bows on my Stratoliner or Open Road. They are closer to the brim.

RBH

Bartender
Here are a couple of shots of Robert Patrick from
the upcoming film Gangster Squad.

He is sportin' a cool look along with that thin ribbon.

robertpatrick.jpg

rpatrick.jpg

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Very hip look...with the single action Colt and the trench coat, vest and Thin ribbon....too cool for school...;)

And I'd bet a months pay, in all of the films with Jimmy Stewart wearing thin ribbons it's the same hat...I read an interview with him once;I can't find it to post....But he said he wore his own hats in most his films....He said that Brown Fedora from Vertigo and Harvey and a ton of films was given to him by his Dad..Actually that one was very mid-line, inexpensive....He glued it together himself several times....He wore that one right up til he died...So that thin ribbon could very well be a Resistol...I don't see him paying top dollar for the Stetson, ;)..He seemed to have a thing for Dept. Store brands and everyman type hats. And I don't believe he had very many...He had his favorites and that was that...They have a couple of his hats at the Jimmy Stewart Museum in Pennsylvania I believe...I bet someone around here has that interview cause it was kind of 'Fedora-Centric' :)

And he did fight with Directors when they wanted him to wear a studio hat, or to up-grade a hat...and he usually, or always won...lol.

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
Last edited:

bond

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Out of curiosity I checked this thread out . Now thanks to all of you gents I have another "distraction" to do with hats!

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
LIt's been awhile since anyone posted a thin ribbon....My favorite hat is a T-R so I wanted to try and reboot this thread, and join it aswell...}8^)) This was a candid behind the scenes shot of Sean Connery in Istanbul while filming "From Russia With Love" ...Definitely has a great thin ribbon thing going on...
image.jpg

That last shot wasn't actually from the movie...So heres one that is, with the same hat...Man the ribbon is so thin, you can hardly see it...
image.jpg

Same hat, but here we can really see the ribbon....
image.jpg

I think a thin ribbon on a hat with a 2" Brim, really sets the hat off...Gives another whole dimension to the look of that style hat....

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR