Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thin Ribbon shots from movies

RBH

Bartender
From 1947s 'Boomerang!'

A lot of thin ones in this film, it seems 1947 was a popular time for thin ribbons in films.

boomjp0.jpg

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
RBH said:
From 1947s 'Boomerang!'

A lot of thin ones in this film, it seems 1947 was a popular time for thin ribbons in films.

<
boomjp0.jpg

Never seen that one either. Looks like Audie Murphy on the left.......or Radar O'Reilly lol .

rgraham

A-List Customer
HatDoc said:
I don't think I've EVER seen it. I like the Plantation Panama (?) that Broderick Crawford is wearing.

By the way, the young kid with the fliers became Bo Derek's husband.

Jauntyone

Practically Family
Here's a bad guy from the 1950s Superman series. I love the color combo; it looks like light-blue felt and a copper- or gold-colored ribbon. I choose to believe that it's a Stratoliner :D
PDVD_003.jpg

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_005.jpg

Even though this is mid- to late-fifties, this fellow is still sporting the "Bold Look":
PDVD_006.jpg

His partner in crime is leaning more towards the Ivy League look or the "Mister T" look:
PDVD_007.jpg

Wearing a Whippet?
PDVD_008.jpg

He doesn't look happy 'cause that ray gun didn't do a danged thing to Superman!:(

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Jauntyone said:
Here's a bad guy from the 1950s Superman series. I love the color combo; it looks like light-blue felt and a copper- or gold-colored ribbon. I choose to believe that it's a Stratoliner :D
PDVD_003.jpg

PDVD_000.jpg

PDVD_005.jpg

Could be an Open Road like this one I just received. Photographs bluer than it is to me. A 2-5/8" Brim and I believe its original crease and pinch.
3805756891_7d2de7467f_b.jpg

Jauntyone

Practically Family
One man, one hat, two T.V. series!

Jay C. Flippen wore a thin-ribbon in an episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show in 1962:
PDVD_018-1.jpg

And he didn't baby it, either!
PDVD_016.jpg

PDVD_025-1.jpg

And he wore the same hat, or a very similar one, a couple of years later in an episode of Burke's Law:
PDVD_026-1.jpg

PDVD_029.jpg

It really stood out in a crowd of stingy-brims!
PDVD_031-1.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RBH said:
The film is from 1959.

Not sure of the origin of that hat. But it has been said in another thread that Jimmy Stewart wore his own hats in most of his films.

This was RBH's response a ways back in this thread to a question about what thin-ribbon Jimmy Stewart was wearing in The FBI Story. I just watched this movie recently, and I would absolutely bet my bottom dollar that he is wearing a Borsalino Alessandria. The height of the crown and the style of the ribbon, combined with the way that the felt creases/wrinkles (indicating a very thin felt), screams Borso to me.

Cheers,
JtL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR