Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thinking about a tattoo, but is it what good girls did in the 1940's?

Dixon's Dame

Familiar Face
I'd say if you're hesitating... hesitate longer. :)

I had always wanted a tattoo growing up, but waited until I was in my mid-thirties before I actually got one. At that point I'd found one that I knew I wouldn't regret having afterwards. It's on my lower back and would only show if I were in a two-piece bathing suit or a top I couldn't tuck into my pants (which would drive me crazy and therefore would never be worn, LOL!). It's been over five years and it still makes me smile when I look at it in the mirror or even when I just think about it. I've never once regretted it. And most people would never guess I have one at all from my personality. I like it that way.

Joli7211

Familiar Face
My .02$ on tats...

When I was a child, my grand-father had a tatoo on his forearm. I thought it was the coolest thing that could ever be. At the tender age of 4 I decided that I would get a tatoo. Yeah. Right. Like my parents would allow me to get a tatoo at 4. Or 16. Or 20. I'd have been shot on sight! :eek: :rolleyes:

At the same time, it wasn't something that respectable girls did either. Getting a tatoo (and maybe that monthly situation there...:eek:fftopic: ) was the only reason I've ever wished I could be a man.

About 10 years ago, I was struck with the idea that I'd really like to get a tatoo. I thought about it long and hard. I imagined where it would be. For me, what was the point of having a tat that you can't appreciate yourself, or at the same time could limit your career options because you don't fit a certain "mold or image"?

It took a long time, I could only ever see my tat on the inside of my left ankle. A tat is permanent. It was long process for me to decide what to get and where to place it. Even what colours to use was a long decision to make. I ended up with a very dark blue (black ink with a hint of blue) stylized fleur de lys on the inside of my left ankle. Even after I figured out in my mind the shape and style of my tat, it took me a long time to get the image just right so that I could bring in to the parlour to get it done.

Then one day, I picked up my courage - I'm notoriously chicken - stepped into a reputable parlour and got it done. My folks were disappointed, and kids were freaked out (they love it now), but when I was told that I might regret it later, from my soul I answered "No. I would have regretted never having it done."

Mind you I did something very simple - just an outline, small - about 3x2cm, on the inside of my ankle (diagonally upwards and behind the ankle bone). When I wear dresses or skirts, someone would have to really look to see it - so a little flair of mystery - and most times it's covered by my socks and pants.

I am so proud of my tat. It really expresses who I am.

In so far as the kids are concerned, they know how long I've been thinking about it (since dd#3 was born), and they know that I was in my mid-30's before I actually got it done, and they've been warned that should they ever come in my home with a tatoo before the age of 25 I would immediately take them to the dr's to get it lasered off. Ok... maybe not 25, but you get the idea...:eek:fftopic:

So does getting a tat undo the vintage look that you are looking for? It depends on what is you "look". My recommendation is strongly consider it for a very, very long time. It could be the best decision that you've ever made, or it could be the worst thing that could ever have happened to you. If you can see yourself at your grand-mother's age (80+) and still proudly wearing a tatoo, then maybe yeah... On the other hand, if you see yourself in her shoes and always trying to hide it, or you can't show your grand-kids, or you're ashamed of it... I wouldn't recommend getting the tatoo.

waingirl

One of the Regulars
I have 8 tattoo's so far. My hope and plan, when I have enough money is to have a whole sleeve or half sleeve of tattoo's on my arm. I am not into rockabilly music or anything like that, just like the look is all. I am self employed in a beauty salon, so it doesn't interfere with my job. My clients are used to me by now. :D Most of the time my style of dress is Banana Republic or LL Bean mixed in with lady like outfits of the 40's or 50's. Tattoo's aren't for everyone. You have to absolutely be in love with a design.

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Just a question - if someone is heavily tattooed do you ladies generally think of them as "rockabilly"? I am pretty tattooed but am not into rockabilly music, hot rods, etc., so it's interesting to see what other people think of tattooed girls who dress period specific.

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
I agree, I have 2 full sleeves in progress as well as a few others, but don't consider myself in any way rockabilly. I love my tattoos, but I also cover them up quite often. None were done on a whim and my sleeves are most definately my pride and joy. All are based on old school designs, swallows, roses, pinups etc.

I don't think that it's fair to put someone into a specific group because of their choice of tattoos/lack of.

When I dress 50s, I'm more likely get my tatts out, when I wear something from an earlier period, I cover them. I guess I'm a bit of a cameleon in that respect - I can do Rockabilly, but I can also do 30s lady.

I'm most definately a lady lol

TessTrueheart

My only advice would be: be in a happy place in your life if you decide to get a tattoo. I did what most ladies here have recommended: I thought about it carefully, had an artist friend of mine draw the design and had it done at a reputable parlour. I just wasn't HAPPY at the time. And now, when I see it, it reminds me of a bad time in my life and it depresses me. I've started laser removal and it's a long, painful and expensive road...:( I love tattoos and I don't want to discourage anyone from getting a tattoo. Just make sure you are in a good, happy place in life!

Miss Dexeter

New in Town
Hear hear Tess!! my tattoos remind me of various things, for instance, my swallows remind me of a rather awful time, but my hearts remind me of my best friend.

I'm never particularly happy to be honest, but that is some sound advice!!!!!

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, I'' admit I've never thought of getting a tatoo, they're just so permanant and I like change too much. I'm not happy with keeping my hair the same everyday, much less getting a tatoo. Hmm, that said you have to do what's right for you, so if you really like the tatoo and want it and are sure, go for it. Good luck with your decision. :)

jayem

A-List Customer
Wow, I must be so much different than others here. I have three tats, and the one without any meaning is actually my favorite one. The two with meaning... eh. I still want more, also. Get it if you want it, keep in mind it's not really the 30s or 40s or 50s anymore, and peoples thoughts on certain things have changed greatly.

kerry

One of the Regulars
I will be 41 this year and had my first tatoo done when I was 17.
I cant say that I have ever really regreted having them done. I had the older ones covered by new work about 12 years ago.
I do wish now that I had put more thought into what to have done, I like them but dont love them.
I do keep them covered up most of the time but thats because I dont like my arms anymore and feel I have got to the age where sleeveless dresses are not the best choice for me.
Would I have them again if I could go back? I probably would as it was a fun part of my youth but as I said, I would put a lot more thought into them:)

Naama

Practically Family
I don't know, I just really rushed into having a tattoo and I'm now glad that I did it! It's a very small one though and people always ask me if its real (its a very simple motive and looks like its just drawn on with a marker ;) But it's on my wrist so it's pretty visible. For evening wear I go for a 30's glamour look and for day wear I go for a 30's depression era kinda look and I just love the way it looks if you wear clothes what other people remind of old ladys or something mixed with a tattoo! I always thought that tattoos would be a big NO GO for me, but somehow... And I'm already thinking aboute more, more, more :D (but not too much though!) And old people still like me, so.... even though I'm also pierced, people never tend to think of me as being "not a good girl" I'ts still the clothes what make people I think!

Naama

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
Hmmm... I'm actually considering getting another tattoo in a month. But I've been thinking about this tattoo for a few years and still think its a wonderful beautiful tattoo.

I want this:
man_ray_le_violon_dingres-thumb.jpg

But I'm a tad nervous that I'm too curvy for it to look the way I think it should look. I think it is just wonderful and says so much about the beauty of a woman's body.

Any thoughts?

old yazoo

Familiar Face
I have a small tattoo that I don't particularly like anymore, but it's hidden. Instead of getting it removed, I'm considering having it added to, with something that will be more interesting and more meaningful. It's going to happen soon, I'll post pictures!

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Miss Dottie said:

I want this:

Any thoughts?
Since Im tatted, of course my daughter thinks positively of tats (the 14 yo). And since she is musically inclined hers is of music, she has thought of something similiar at one point. She has also thought of getting music note on her hip bone. So its something that only she will know she has. Of course I wont let her have it until she is at least 18 no matter how much she begs lol

Justdog

Practically Family
Tattoo

Might consider finding the design you like and fiding TT artist to give you a temporary one to test drive.

Just a thought

mrswheats

One of the Regulars
Miss Dottie said:
Hmmm... I'm actually considering getting another tattoo in a month. But I've been thinking about this tattoo for a few years and still think its a wonderful beautiful tattoo.

I want this:

But I'm a tad nervous that I'm too curvy for it to look the way I think it should look. I think it is just wonderful and says so much about the beauty of a woman's body.

Any thoughts?

I think that's beautiful.

I've been thinking about getting a tattoo ever since I was little (lots of inked up people in my family :D ). I agree with Justdog--find an artist that will do a temporary to see if you like the size, placement, and design in general.

Justdog

Practically Family
Tattoo Art

Also had a thought of having the design you want made into a piece of physical Art like maybe a painting or a sculpture you could appreciate without possibly remorse.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
Miss Dottie said:

Any thoughts?

Too curvy? No such thing...:)
Is your goal is to have it look as much like a violin as possible? I would have someone photograph you in that position, then Photoshop it and see if it looks right to you. It's very beautiful, no matter what...
Also, what prompted you to choose this? Are you a fan of Man Ray?

Dani California

Familiar Face
Miss Dottie said:

I want this:

Any thoughts?

Are you a musician?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy