Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thnking out loud about an "Indy"

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Okay I've about 6 A2's of various hides and qualities, 3 car coats in a range of hides and styels, even a jean jacket that's my current fave. I've decided to buy my first custom jacket and I've decided on the following criteria:

1. Domestic - Sorry, not paying VAT to any country but my own UNLESS it's an Aero used or in the Bargain Bin.

2. No woolies - I've enough woolen sleeves and waists to last a life time. I want something different.

3. Horsehide - I've had my fill of goat, lamb and beef, gimme the hide of sumthin' I DON'T eat.

4. Half-Belt or Side Belts - I like the idea of being in control of some of the jackets fit.

5. Black - I've been Jonesin' for a good, black leather jacket since High School.

I looked at all the ususal suspects. Much as I like Lost Worlds I simply can't justify the expense with my son's college tuition staring me in the face. Aero makes exactly what I want in any of three Half Belts. Vanson has some good stuff but no horsehide that I could see. I've finally decided to go with the US-Authentic/Flight Jacket.com "Indy".

http://www.flightjacket.com/indy-jacket.html

I ordered one in 2X but it'll have to be a custom order to get the color and hide I want as well as perhaps a collar stand. In about a month when I arrives I'll post pics.

Worf

JanSolo

Practically Family
I'm sure the jacket turns out ok, although Aero's FQHH is hard to beat in terms of appearance and aging characteristics.
If it's a sort of custom job anyway and you don't care 100% about authenticity order your jacket with a row of top stitching around the cuffs. The Indy sleeves always appear unfinished and less refined exactly for that reason. Top stitching makes the cuff look much neater. And it shouldn't cost much more to do it.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I'm sure the jacket turns out ok, although Aero's FQHH is hard to beat in terms of appearance and aging characteristics.
If it's a sort of custom job anyway and you don't care 100% about authenticity order your jacket with a row of top stitching around the cuffs. The Indy sleeves always appear unfinished and less refined exactly for that reason. Top stitching makes the cuff look much neater. And it shouldn't cost much more to do it.

I looked at the Aero offerings in detail. You won't get an argument from me of their superiority to many makes and models. As I said this is my first dip into the custom waters. I'm trying not to become a complete addict. I'm going slow. Thanks for the hint about the stitching around the cuffs, I'll do just that.

Worf

DougC

Practically Family
Thanks for posting the link--I'm currently looking for an Indy jacket and can't find one I like...I'm not too concerned about screen accuracy.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well, if you could drop another size, here's an older USWings Kangaroo "Indy".
http://www.ebay.com/itm/US-WINGS-A2...C_Outerwear&hash=item4abb57cc18#ht_500wt_1263
What other styles are you interested in? How about posting some ideas? There's lots of crazy film jackets that might be cool on you. Some jackets look great on a Big Man- some that look dopey on smaller guys (and vice-sersa).
Hey several Hlalf Belts or teamsters would look good on me I believe. I also looked at that Indy on the bay. I'm gettin' smaller but I want that black Inday by the fall.

Worf

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The site you linked to says the jacket is 'vintage goatskin.' Didn't you say you wanted HH?
I got the Indy in 2X for "sizing". I'll then ship it back with specs and pay the difference for the custom. I also intend to get it hemmed and a collar stand., mebbe one patch on the chest.

Worf

Hey several Hlalf Belts or teamsters would look good on me I believe. I also looked at that Indy on the bay. I'm gettin' smaller but I want that black Inday by the fall.Worf
Worf,Are you still shrinking? I'm telling you that with your look, you can rock things some of us can't. The Big Man cool vibe suits you well. Teamster, Barnstormer, etc certainly are candidates. What about Søren's B-3? He's "spitfire" here. Good deal man!!! :)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Worf,Are you still shrinking? I'm telling you that with your look, you can rock things some of us can't. The Big Man cool vibe suits you well. Teamster, Barnstormer, etc certainly are candidates. What about Søren's B-3? He's "spitfire" here. Good deal man!!! :)

I know about that B-3. I've been dreaming about it for days... but I've enough brown now. Need to have something to wear when I'm not wearing khakis or jeans. It certainly gets cold enough here for it that's for sure. Can't afford two coats this fall. Buttmunch just spent 500 large on college books (faintin' again!).

Worf

I know about that B-3. I've been dreaming about it for days... but I've enough brown now. Need to have something to wear when I'm not wearing khakis or jeans. It certainly gets cold enough here for it that's for sure. Can't afford two coats this fall. Buttmunch just spent 500 large on college books (faintin' again!).Worf
I hear you. Between kids, grandkids, mom, and the rest, I don't know how I eat these days.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
So Worf, did you get that custom Indy jacket?

Yes... it's sittin on the back the chair across from me right now. I know I promised pics, but I can't get one I'm happy with. Let me see what I can do. While my jackets fit fine now, I find all my old pants are so baggy they make me look like a rag picker... Arrrgh!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic