Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thrift/Pass Out Now/Credit

Foofoogal

Banned
noone will change their buying habits such as Salvation Army or Goodwill? I guess the moral is to use cash at places like this. :eusa_doh:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
"The Salvation Army said card issuers have no business preying on their customers."

Institutional Lenders have indeed become modern Loan Sharks. "Prey" is the right word.

Foofoogal

Banned
your welcome. I cannot believe these companies would take advantage of people in times like these. Not only that but these organizations serve a great need and I see this as making them vulnerable in a round about way.
So bad on so many levels.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Profiling by credit card companies is nothing new. It is not fair, but, that is the way things work in the financial industry. It is about making money, howerever possible.[huh]

"I think they're penalizing the people who are working class, and that's not really fair," Mawhinney said. This is also nothing new. shakeshead

Thanks for the article Foofoogal...:eusa_clap

Caleb Moore

Familiar Face
Carlisle Blues said:
Profiling by credit card companies is nothing new. It is not fair, but, that is the way things work in the financial industry. It is about making money, howerever possible.[huh]

"I think they're penalizing the people who are working class, and that's not really fair," Mawhinney said. This is also nothing new. shakeshead

Thanks for the article Foofoogal...:eusa_clap

Doesn't mean we gotta like it...

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
Carlisle Blues said:

True, true. Anyway, the simplest solution is to pay cash. I prefer to pay cash at thrift shops anyway, partly because the charity doesn't get dinged for a credit card processing fee.

Foofoogal

Banned
I have seen alot of aloha mens shirts at these places and always was mad I didn't know what to look for. I guess you get them all. lol

Cash is king they say. I never have cash though.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Boy that stinks. And *thank you* for posting that link.

In addition to being a life-long vintage shopper, I volunteer for a charity shop, so I have been known to frequently purchase since I also get my "volunteer discount".

Guess I need to stop by the ATM before walking in to help out. :eusa_doh:

Foofoogal

Banned
People really need to see this. This needs to be on the National news IMHO. I still cannot believe it. Think of the people buying school clothes for school soon. All the savings at Goodwill or Salvation Army getting ate up with fees from the credit cards. Makes me so mad. :rage:
As someone that worked in a food pantry for 4 years I understand the struggles people have. About 10% are true jerks.
Many are single moms and elderly.

olive bleu

One Too Many
this is the craziest thing i've heard in a long time. Besides the fact that this "snooping" is just plain wrong...why should someone assume that shopping at thrift stores means that you're struggling financially anyway?There are other reasons as well..such as simply wanting to use "recycled" because it's better for the evironment...I know a few people that earn more money than i will ever dream of who shop at thrift stores for this reason ...and wouldn't spending your money wisely and not overextending yourself indicate that you might be MORE likely to be responsible with credit?? Crazy.

davestlouis

Practically Family
So, I guess I should run out to Nieman Marcus and buy something to help bolster my credit score???Or, would the bank take that to mean I'm a spendthrift and lower my score for that too?

I have started using cash, largely because it hurts to watch that $20 bill leave my wallet...keeps me from spending too much.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't understand this at all. The only thing I use my credit card for is to pay medical bills -- the sure sign, I'd think, of someone in dire and desperate straits -- and I have an interest rate of 4 per cent.

I had no idea Goodwill even took plastic -- lucky for me, I guess.

Warbaby

One Too Many
This kind of weaselwork doesn't surprise me at all. Fortunately, it doesn't matter to me because I don't use credit cards - I deal only in cash and couldn't care less about a credit rating. If more folks just said no to credit card companies, they wouldn't have the hold on people that they do. And remember kids, if you freelance or wheel & deal for a living, don't own real property, and don't keep your money in a bank, you can stiff those credit card weasels and there's not a damn thing they can do about it.

shortbow

Practically Family
You said it Warbaby. Nobody should be surprised by this. It is only the tip of a huge and deep iceberg. I am 59 and have never had a credit card, have no debts and happily thumb my nose at Big Brother in whatever little ways I can find. If I don't have the cash, I can't afford it, don't need it, can live without it.

Odalisque

A-List Customer
I don't have any credit cards so it's nothing to me.
But damn!
I am sick to high heaven to banks and lending offices telling me what I can and can't do with my money. I recently was charged a fee on my savings for "over activity".
The activity in question was moving my money from my savings to my checking.
It's my money, the bank is so lucky to get to hold it for me! I can do whatever I please with my money.
How dare they. :rage:

sorry. rant.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn