Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Thurston Italian Vicenza Horsehide Full Grain Veg.-Tanned Horsehide for Aero Jackets

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Rather than wait till Fall and do a Full Spread here's couple taken when it was cool enough for me to wear my modded Aero Teamster from Thurston Bros. It fits beautifully and the hide was/is drape soft right out of the box. Stitching looks more "white" than the tan I'd specified but I can live with it.
Leather-front_zps1qhvdriu.jpg

Leather-profile_zpspejqo08e.jpg

I'm digging that cap too Worf. You must have been strutting that day mate!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks again all... The cap is a vintage Irish tweed. I've taken to wearing a lot of those lately. Also I'm down from size 52 to a comfortable 48. I've VERY HAPPY!.. Expect a jacket purge in the Fall.

Worf

Panacheman

Familiar Face
Rather than wait till Fall and do a Full Spread here's couple taken when it was cool enough for me to wear my modded Aero Teamster from Thurston Bros. It fits beautifully and the hide was/is drape soft right out of the box. Stitching looks more "white" than the tan I'd specified but I can live with it.
Leather-front_zps1qhvdriu.jpg

Leather-profile_zpspejqo08e.jpg

Worf

Niiice i just ordered a modded teamster in Kangaroo. very classy look on you Worf in particular the contrast stitching

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
Quick question. How does Vicenza leather compare to goatskin in terms of weight? I'm considering either a M422a made with Vicenza, but want to see if it would be as warm as the goatskin as I'm thinking of using it as a winter jacket. Thanks!

IXL

One Too Many
Quick question. How does Vicenza leather compare to goatskin in terms of weight? I'm considering either a M422a made with Vicenza, but want to see if it would be as warm as the goatskin as I'm thinking of using it as a winter jacket. Thanks!

Be aware that leather is by itself a rather poor insulator. The choice of lining is what determines the majority of warmth for a leather jacket.

Carrie @ Thurston Bros.

Sponsoring Affiliate

The Vicenza is slightly heavier weight than the goatskin, but they are probably about the same when it comes to blocking wind in the Winter!

Be aware that leather is by itself a rather poor insulator. The choice of lining is what determines the majority of warmth for a leather jacket.

Agreed! The standard lining in the Aero M422a is a very thin satin and wouldn't help much for cold weather...it would be fine for milder Fall weather. You'd want to go with a thicker wool (Strome weight tartan or tweed) for a Winter jacket!

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
But not exclusively. I could wear my Chromexcel jacket only up to 15°C while I can wear my goatskin up to 20 or 22°C. Same model, both lined with cotton (the Chromexcel jacket had satin lined sleeves, though, which were an extra pain in the ass when it was warm outside).

IXL

One Too Many
Satin is notorious for limiting ones ability to remain comfortable as the environment gets warmer. Many people describe it as feeling "hot and sticky."

IXL

One Too Many
It would be interesting to see how things would go if the interiors of both jackets could be swapped. Kind of a mad-science experiment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran