Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tie Length, A Serious Matter

Rafter

Suspended
Tie length is a serious matter. We look like clowns if the tie falls either too short or too long. The tie falling to the proper point is as important as shirt cuff length, trouser length, jacket length, etc.

For a balanced tie, one strives for the broad end to end just short off the waist band, right around the belt buckle, give or take a bit. Personally I think that the smaller end should be no less than an inch shorter at most. What I tend to see is Double Windsor knots tied with "standard" length ties. It causes the smaller end to reach to the second or third button of the shirt!

I once had a RTW tie salesman tell me that his ties were not too short, but
that I wore my trousers too low. He had a point. If I pulled up my trousers to where he thought that they should be worn, then the RTW tie fell properly. Otherwise, not.

The material and the thickness of the lining also have an effect on the knot and tie length. A thicker silk and lining is going to eat up much more of the tie when tieing the knot and so, will fall short of its target.

Of course "big knots" such as the Double Windsor consume more cloth than a Four-in-hand. RTW ties are a bane if you wear the big knots. I've discovered that MTM ties in the case of a Double Windsor ensure that the tie ends in the right place.

Getting the proper tie length is no easy matter and if you get it wrong, you feel wrong. You can always keep your coat buttoned so nobody knows if you got it wrong. Wait a sec, I just remembered it's June and that's not a viable option!!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
As a 17" neck man I don't have the hangup about tie length that I once did. But I want taper, dangit. Serious taper. I don't want my knot to be ANYWHERE NEAR as wide as my blade.

Nor do I want those paddle shaped ties you used to see in the 80s and 90s. That's a half&##ed solution.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jovan said:
I wish so many ties weren't too long today. It boggles the mind to think that they actually sell "extra-long" ones.

lol lol lol "Extra long" - that's a joke! To me, "extra long" just translates to a tie that's only short, not real short. lol lol lol The shortage (no pun intended) of "extra long" ties is one reason I wear three-piece suits. With a vest, it doesn't much matter what length your tie is (or isn't).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LBJ had your problem. Luckily for him, he didn't give a hang.

prod_14641.jpg

on the hustings in 1948

lbj.jpg

2d from R, at a BBQ in Austin

[too big to post here]
stumping for JFK with Lady Bird, 1960

StanleyVanBuren

My ties seem to be too long for the 4IH knot. When I tie a Windsor (be it half, full, double, whatever you want to call either of the 2 standard varieties), the length comes out as you say it should. When I try to tie a 4IH, I have more difficulties.

Flying Scotsman

One of the Regulars
I gave up years ago caring where the short end fell, and just made sure the broad end landed with the tip at the belt buckle (I always kinda thought the tip should hit the middle of the belt buckle, but others say the top).

I used to tie Full Windsor knots, but have lately been using a four-in-hand for some tie/collar combinations and have to admit that for the right combo, it looks better. I've been messing around with several others from the "85 Ways to Tie a Tie" book and having fun with them.

But for me, bottom line is...tie it so the broad end tip hits the belt and let the rest fall where it may. Unless you're getting ties made for you, not much you can do about it.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
J. M. Stovall said:
I remember once a post where someone said they buy ties in the boys department to avoid the "too long" problem.

That was probably me. I can't wear a regular length tie with a FIH knot unless I want my tie hanging about three inches below my belt.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Any tucker-inners here?
Blade in the belt works for certain stylish dudes.
Anyone with too much tie can tie it shorter and tuck the skinny end in belt or shirt. A tie bar helps conceal the subterfuge.

Some guys are short, some are tall, some are average. Fat necks, skinny necks, necks that are just right. I can't stand when style mags tell guys to avoid certain knots because they're too big or too small. They all come out looking different depending on the man's frame and proportions. At 5'7", I routinely tie a double windsor and it doesn't come out like a big fat power knot (Yes, we've had this conversation before). My advice to any newbies perusing this thread is to experiment and find the one that's right for you. Just don't let the damn thing hang over your crotch.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Yes, I confess I put the tie's narrow end through the evil post-Golden-Era loop on the back, bend/kink it, and put it inside between the next pair of buttons. Keeps the tie in place (I'm not much into tie pins and the like) and hides the narrow end. In general, I like short ties because I wear my trousers higher than what's usual these days, and I'm about 5' 9'', but worn like that, it's even useful to have a longer end.

But [bridge to different topic]:

A problem of contemporary ties bound shorter is not only the larger knot, but also that at the part that goes around the neck, the tie is often wider than the collarband and shows. Apart from the obvious solution of using vintage or bespoke ties, the only way seems to be to fold them, but that can result in a sausage collar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy