Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ties for pinstripe suits?

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
While this may seem a no brainer, all of my suits, past and present have been solid until now. Im having a black chalk stripe suit made for my wedding and need to find a tie, or have one made to go with it. I was told that the best (only) options are either a window pane pattern or a solid tie.

Any enlightening thoughts or opinions?

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Fashion dictates this. Right now, men are told they can wear striped ties with striped suits. Frankly, I don't think this combination looks particularly good.

To me, a solid colored tie (in a vibrant color) looks best. Carey Grant, for instance, almost always wore solid colored ties with his pinstriped suits, and they looked great on him. If you want to dress things up a bit, especially for evenings, wear a satin tie. For daywear, a grenadine tie will do the trick.

If you wish to wear a tie with patterns, go for small, neat designs that aren't too busy-looking. Macclesfield and Spitalfield patterns work. (Ralph Lauren sells them.) Or maybe a tie with widely spaced pin dots?

Fu Manchu

One of the Regulars
Marc Chevalier said:
If you wish to wear a tie with patterns, go for small, neat designs that aren't too busy-looking. Macclesfield and Spitalfield patterns work. (Ralph Lauren sells them.) Or maybe a tie with widely spaced pin dots?

I like patterns with my striped suits, too. I have to admit that I'm a sucker for the tiny, silly, and rather cute animals that Hermes often includes on their ties. They're never ostentatious, but they're just noticable enough to get a second look. Sure, they're expensive, but hey - it yr. wedding, right?

Good luck and congratulations. Here's a link to blue ties on the Hermes site (hope it works!)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
How about a white shirt with a silver tie?

skillbilly said:
Im having a black chalk stripe suit made for my wedding and need to find a tie

Shoes235.jpg

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
I think striped ties look great with striped suits. Its all about finding the right color stripes and their width in relation to the stripes on the suit.
Small patterns and solids are the cowards way out. Anyone can match a suit that way. (think Donald Trump!)

Chad

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
KISS

Chad Sanborn said:
Small patterns and solids are the cowards way out. Anyone can match a suit that way. (think Donald Trump!)

I prefer to think Cary Grant;) The most common misstep of the neophyte is thinking that they must get jiggy. KISS!

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I think striped ties with striped suits can look great- naturally it's all about coordination/contrast/balance. If you're going with banker stripes, then maybe a wider stripe or wider spaced stripe will work. Repp ties may look good with them too.
I'm starting to really like seeing spotted ties (little spots, polka dots, etc.) paired with striped suits. That may not be quite appropriate for a wedding, but I think it's a fun look.
Naturally, your safest bet will be with a solid tie.

skillbilly

One of the Regulars
My Tie hunt has been complicated by the color I'm trying to find. The idea is for all the gooms men to wear ties that match the green of the brides mades shawls. I had founf a tie that was dead on, but on ly came in X-long 84". That seems more like a jump rope!

I think I found one that should work

tie6.jpg

Anyone want to weigh in on this one?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy