Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping the mail carrier: a thing of the past?

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
I don't tip anyone other then my food server (this includes pizza delivery drivers). My friend told me he tips the tow truck guy. WHAT THE HECK???? Why? Jobs like tow truck driver, postal worker, barber, ect, they get min wadge or more. Food servers do not get min wadge and they rely on tips. Oh and this does not carry over to fancy places (like cruise ships) where they automatically charge gratuity. That's their tip, I am not adding another tip to my bill.

Do you live on Minimum Wage? If you do I would not expect you to tip your service workers but if you make a livable wage it wouldn't hurt to share the wealth with those who probably have less.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
I don't tip anyone other then my food server (this includes pizza delivery drivers). My friend told me he tips the tow truck guy. WHAT THE HECK???? Why? Jobs like tow truck driver, postal worker, barber, ect, they get min wadge or more. Food servers do not get min wadge and they rely on tips. Oh and this does not carry over to fancy places (like cruise ships) where they automatically charge gratuity. That's their tip, I am not adding another tip to my bill.

I do tip tow truck drivers, mechanics, and barbers; my father was an auto mechanic for 35 years, and instilled in me the practice of giving blue collar workers something extra.

rue

I am so not jumping on this bandwagon..... :whistling

Anywho, remember when you tipped the person that brought you flowers? Well, I thought people still did that until about ten years ago when the guy told me it was already included and I'd been ripped off for years lol I thanked him and made him take it anyway ;)

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Interesting ideas, as expected. My driveway is short but steep, and I'm always getting boxes (hats?!) that the carrier is obliged to schlep up the drive. I know from quick talks with her that she has bum knees, which makes me feel worse. On the other hand, she smokes! Must be that plushy salary that allows such a luxury. Just kidding, of course; i know that tobacco is a bona fide addiction and there's no choice in the matter. (Tongue firmly in cheek.)

High Pockets

Practically Family
I asked my rural mail person to please stop folding my expensive magazines.
She said she couldn't,......you think I'm gonna tip her?

NOT!

I tip well at the restaurant, at the bar, and my barber.

Last edited:

redavis001

One of the Regulars
Tipping your mail carrier (no matter what it is, cookies, gifts, cash, a note) is really thanking someone for their hard work in service to you. Yes they may be paid to do a job, just as garbage men, tow truck drivers, and corporate executives are paid to do a job. However, if it helps, rather than thinking of it as a tip, think of it as a small gesture, a little gift, part of the many act of gracious living that tells someone who serves you that you appreciate the effort they put forth.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Tipping your mail carrier (no matter what it is, cookies, gifts, cash, a note) is really thanking someone for their hard work in service to you. Yes they may be paid to do a job, just as garbage men, tow truck drivers, and corporate executives are paid to do a job. However, if it helps, rather than thinking of it as a tip, think of it as a small gesture, a little gift, part of the many act of gracious living that tells someone who serves you that you appreciate the effort they put forth.

But you allready pay for that "service", when you put stamps on a letter or pay for a parcel to be delivered. I don't know about the prices in US - but over here it's pretty expensive - and it's rising next year - and the "service" is dropping.
But I guesse tipping is pretty widespread in US and almost part of their wages in many places. It is not like that over here.
In restaurants, "sercvice" is always included in the prices. Just like it is in the price of a haircut, a busticket and a taxiride.
That's why it's so bloody expensive :)

CharlieB

A-List Customer
But you allready pay for that "service", when you put stamps on a letter or pay for a parcel to be delivered. I don't know about the prices in US - but over here it's pretty expensive - and it's rising next year - and the "service" is dropping.
But I guesse tipping is pretty widespread in US and almost part of their wages in many places. It is not like that over here.
In restaurants, "sercvice" is always included in the prices. Just like it is in the price of a haircut, a busticket and a taxiride.
That's why it's so bloody expensive :)

Actually, what you recieve is paid for by someone else. My father too was a carrier for over 25 years, and always appreciated getting something. We always leave something for the carrier, the person who delivers our newspaper, and the trash collectors, as well as delivery people and they guy who hooked up our satelite dish.

It's just a nice way to thank someone for a good job. Don't you like to know when you have done a good job?

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
When I buy something at the internet there is always postage and handling on top. And I pay for that, don't know how you get around that ;)
When I work I get pay. If I am good I get more pay. That's basicly how it works.

Talbot

One Too Many
These folks (not all of them) do a lot of things that are above and beyond the call.

A letter to a supervisor is better than any tip. We don't hesitate to complain, but are so reluctant in expressing appreciation.

Postal services are not perfect, but after you have walked a postal round or two, you'll know about the dog bites, rose thorns, weather, and dirty syringes in the pick ups.

For. Minimum. Wage.

You may even change your point of view.

Not to mention the occaisional 'individual' that will string wire (yes wire) across the footpath/sidewalk for thier own entertainment...

Last edited:

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I would prefer if society just paid people better. I don't like the idea of employers short-changing workers by making tips part of their hourly salary (and paying them below minimum). This also stems from the fact that I also do not like the idea of tips being expected, no matter the level of service. That being said, I have never left a restaurant without something for a tip, no matter how bad the service is, because most servers make so little money (sometimes only $3 an hour or less where I live). Most people only write letters when bad things happen, so I also write letters for people I cannot tip (like cafeteria workers).

Our mail service is not good and our mail person stomps through my garden when she does not have to (I have seen her do it while in the front yard, multiple times, and I always say hello). She is probably earning enough of an income that I am not going to tip for unprofessional service: the median wage for a postal carrier in the US is $48,000 a year (plus benefits)(http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos345.htm#earnings), which is more than our local police officers make. If she would like a tip, she can act more professional in front of me, like millions of other people do that work in very hard and demanding jobs. (Including many of her coworkers, I might add).

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
My wife and I used to leave a small gift for our letter carrier on Boxing Day. She was our usual letter carrier, very pleasant and professional.
One day a different postal employee picked up the gift on the 26th. I thought "That's not for you." ;)

On a slightly related note, a customer came into our store one time and told us that he had just been at a pizza joint and got one for us to be delivered. A while later a young man came with the pizza and asked to be paid. I explained that it should have been paid for already. "Oh, that's right but not the tip" My co-worker and I gave a few shekels and of he went. Later when relating this story to the customer, he was steamed. He explained that he had given the guy quite a good tip on top of the total for the pizza.

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot