Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tipping Your Hat

Rafter

Suspended
Yesterday, I heard an elderly gentleman say: "If you don't wear a hat, how can you take it off to say hello?"

Loungers, What is the reason behind the tradition of tipping one's hat?
For my own part, when I first went to prep school, I wore a the typical English schoolboy's cap (which I still do).
I was taught to remove my cap to show respect for my elders....but if it was raining I would be allowed to simply touch the peak.
The reason for this was that King Henry V had caught a cold and died as a result of removing his helmet in the rain.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Rafter said:
Yesterday, I heard an elderly gentleman say: "If you don't wear a hat, how can you take it off to say hello?"

I like that, Rafter! :D

Without digging out a bunch of references, I think you'll find that tipping the hat is related to the military salute, which traditionally goes back to knights raising their visors when meeting each other--the act allowed the other knight to see the face, and in raising one's empty weapon hand demonstrated good will.

Cheers,
Tom

Sunny

One Too Many
It was considered extremely rude to tip one's hat to a lady in the mid-nineteenth century. A gentleman raised his hat; tipping was informal, lazy, and disrespectful.

Of course, the fact that tipping was mentioned in etiquette books shows that there were men doing it. Else, why mention it? Makes me wonder about other admonishments in those books, such as "Never blow your nose on the tablecloth." :eek:

Zig2k143

Practically Family
Tango Yankee said:

Without digging out a bunch of references, I think you'll find that tipping the hat is related to the military salute, which traditionally goes back to knights raising their visors when meeting each other--the act allowed the other knight to see the face, and in raising one's empty weapon hand demonstrated good will.

Cheers,
Tom

I love that people know the same stupid trivia that I do. :)

Bogie

One of the Regulars
I think this is the answer you are looking for:

Tipping your hat is a conventional gesture, done by barely lifting it off your head with your right hand (or the left hand if the right hand is occupied): By the crown of a soft hat, or the brim of a stiff one. Your cigarette, pipe or cigar should always be taken out of your mouth before removing or tipping your hat. This is a subtle gesture that should not be confused with bowing.

A man tips or lifts his hat:

(1) when walking with a friend who passes a woman only the friend knows;

(2) any time a lady who is a stranger thanks you for some service or assistance;

(3) any time you excuse yourself to a woman stranger, such as if you accidentally disturb or jostle her in a crowd, or when you ask for pardon when passing in a tight space or when forced to walk between two people that are conversing, particularly if one is a woman;

(4) any time a stranger shows courtesy to a woman you are accompanying, such as when a man or woman picks up something she has dropped, or a man opens a door for her or gives her his seat;

(5) when you ask a woman (or an elderly man) for directions

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
Tango Yankee said:

Cheers,
Tom

This is the "history" that I am familiar with as well. I had also heard that the tradition of tipping (outside of the military salute) at some point evolved to tipping one's hat only toward a lady. To tip your hat to another man was considered an insult (as if you were questioning his "manliness"). I don't remember exactly where I heard this, as is the case with most of my "knowledge" lol . Has anyone else heard of this before?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I tipped my hat as an act of rebellion to a secutity guard of the school at which I took the SAT.

Aparently, that school has a zero tolerence dress code, hats being among the prohibited items, due to their gang connections. Anyway, I walked in, and the security guard is standing there, with a confused look on his face. He got on his walkie talkie, saying something to the effect of, "we have a gentleman here who just walked in and is in gross violation of the dress code, how should I proceed?"

Well, I don't go to that school, so they can't do anything to me, so I just tipped my hat and walked on by.
:D :p

warbird

One Too Many
Tipping the hat is a shortened or abbreviated custom from the old form of tipping the hat and bowing which was common until the mid-nineteenth century. At that time a gentleman would always tip and bow for a lady or a gentleman of some level of distinction or respect.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
I always get it wrong!

As a rule I take my hat off when indoors. However, I seem to always have to put it back on when my hands are full. I guess it's better then sticking it under my arm.:)

panamag8or

Practically Family
Miss Brill said:
Tipping is insignificant, but I HATE when men leave their hats on indoors. It just makes people assume you are balding & insecure about it. :rolleyes:

There are rules about when and where men should remove their hats indoors, and those rules leave hats on heads more often than not.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
panamag8or said:
There are rules about when and where men should remove their hats indoors, and those rules leave hats on heads more often than not.

I mean men who wear their hats at work. If it is a baseball cap it isn't as bad, but cowboy hats or dress hats look out of place being worn constantly.

doggieboy

New in Town
Sunny said:
Makes me wonder about other admonishments in those books, such as "Never blow your nose on the tablecloth." :eek:

I gave up picking my nose at the table just last week and now this comes up. What's next?

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was recently at a Japanese cook-at-the-table restaurant attending a friend's post-wedding "party", nothing formal, just relaxed. I was dressed very casually, cotton short sleeve button down - unbuttoned - with sandals and shorts. In fact, I was wearing one of my cheap straw club hats (not indoors!) I've posted pictures of in another thread. On a side note, as a wedding gift, I purchased a Panama Cueneca for my friend for his current home in LA

Anywhow, I can't stress how informal this was. But while we were at our table, another table next to us had three men and four women. Two men were wearing ball caps with sunglasses hanging on the visors and the other man was wearing some cheap straw cowboy hat from Walmart. Just as I began making comments about wearing hats to the dinner table indoors at a decent restaurant, my friend comes around the corner and sits next to me...with his panama on.

Manners have simply evaporated.

David V

A-List Customer
I think tipping the hat goes waaaay back. I don't ascribe to the knights visor theory. If you had on your armour you ment to do battle and your or your attnedants livery told who you were. But during the middle ages, a person of lower station would remove their headwear and bow to one of greater station. peasant to lord, lord to king. The military salute is just another form of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy