Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Titanic!

Edward

Bartender
I hope they're just being nice when they say Cameron made a "wonderful" film, or I don't hold out much hope for this project..... ;)

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
One thing they seemed to do a good job of, is showing how ridged the class system was! Remember, more first class men survived the sinking, then third class children!

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've heard about this. I look forward to watching it. I'm a Titanic slut, I admit it.

They say that the traditional English class-system was at its most inflexible during the Edwardian era.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I hope they're just being nice when they say Cameron made a "wonderful" film, or I don't hold out much hope for this project..... ;)

It didn't read as sarcasm to me, and both trailers look very much like the Cameron version, but with different actors. Some of the flashes of scenes look like they were lifted right from that version.

Edward

Bartender
It didn't read as sarcasm to me, and both trailers look very much like the Cameron version, but with different actors. Some of the flashes of scenes look like they were lifted right from that version.

Let's just hope then that they remember to write a decent script this time around! ;)

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I doubt that it will be better than A Night To Remember, but I'll probably give it a try. No doubt it will be better than the lousy 1953 film and the awful 1996 miniseries with George C. Scott and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

(For the record, I like Cameron's film, and have never personally understood the enormous backlash against it. Yeah, it's dragged out and too focused on its love story, but I think it's pretty awesome in terms of representing the details of the sinking.)

rue

I've heard about this. I look forward to watching it. I'm a Titanic slut, I admit it.

Me too. I think I own just about every book on the subject :eek:

(For the record, I like Cameron's film, and have never personally understood the enormous backlash against it. Yeah, it's dragged out and too focused on its love story, but I think it's pretty awesome in terms of representing the details of the sinking.)

I agree.

Last edited:

Flynn

New in Town
Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I never understood what was was so "amazing, wonderful and romantic" about Cameron's version. I agree, visuals were great but the story...yeah...I'll leave it at that.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I've seen a lot of versions of Titanic, and some of them are just atrocious. ANTR and the JC ones are good (although I didn't care for the whole love-story thing going on, as on the real Titanic, such a thing was almost certainly impossible), but others were just atrocious.

I'm yet to watch a film-version of the sinking that gets *EVERYTHING* right.

Since this is supposed to be in honour of the 100th anniversary, maybe they'll actually do it properly and not cut corners.

The Titanic carried roughly 2,228 people (max capacity was about a thousand more). 705 people escaped in the boats.

That's a whole 2/3 of the passengers and crew left to drown or freeze to death. You can see why everyone panicked.

Of course, that's nothing compared to the M.V. Wilhelm Gustloff, which sank in 1945. Heavily overloaded with civilian refugees, nurses and wounded soldiers, it left Gdansk with something like 10,000 people onboard.

90% of them would be dead within hours.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Let's just hope then that they remember to write a decent script this time around! ;)

Well it's from the creator of Downton Abbey, so I have high hopes. :)

Now that the commemorations of the 100th anniversary are in full swing this week I'm in Titanic-nerd mode and can't wait to watch this this weekend!

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I doubt that it will be better than A Night To Remember, but I'll probably give it a try. No doubt it will be better than the lousy 1953 film and the awful 1996 miniseries with George C. Scott and Catherine Zeta-Jones.

As callous and awful as it sounds, for me the sinking is the only part of the film worth watching. Well, there's also that one scene where Kate Winslet is.... oh, never mind....

silverladybug

New in Town
It's already on YouTube.
It's also on iTV. I've liked the series so far, though it's understandable why some people don't exactly like the plot is structured. I don't really want to discuss it because it seems like not many people have watched it, but I think it's worth a view, you just have to adjust to it. As a Downton Abbey fan, I think it has a different feel to it, it's not as shiny and bright, but then again it is Titanic, and not Lord Grantham's estate.

KayEn78

One of the Regulars
I liked Cameron's Titanic, mostly for the history. The love story, I think, was done to show the audience the entire ship (first class areas, third class areas, etc.) No, such a situation that occurred in the movie would not have happened on the real Titanic, but it was a way to show you the ins and outs of the ship before the sinking. I think they did an incredible job with the sinking sequences.

-Kristi

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner