Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

To Feather or Not to Feather?

you betcha.

churchill_out.jpg

Yowza! Urban Cowboy, Alan! Is that a Stetson Billy the Kid?

Those feathers, Alan, I would wear . . . in the field . . . with a good English double gun . . . and a fine dog. Otherwise, if you are going to wear feathers in your hat band then perhaps the same question applies as to the zebra skin band. Did you shoot it? Fine then. Again, if you are wearing a hair brush on you hat . . . did you shoot the deer? If so, fine. If not, then I'm inclined to call both the feather and the hair brush/bunch affectations suitable for a trip to Northern Europe but of questionable taste this side of the pond.

Hi Sarge... I haven't shot any of my hats, though I do have a quick draw on ebay sometimes and I do have a nice dog.

Perry, that would be my Churchill hat sold through Neiman-Marcus... feasant feathers I think.

churchill010311.jpg

ÉIREGOBRÁCH1922

New in Town
It would depend on the type of hat, the hat colour and where you place the feathers on the hat. Pheasant and peacock feathers are popular and can look good on some hats. Short/cut feathers look best placed in the centre of the grosgrain ribbon 'bow' band. Full feathers look best placed along the full length either side brim of the hat. So, I would not shoot down his suggestion or opinion..but just the pheasant! ;) :p

I personally would not wear any short/cut or full feathers on a fedora hat, but I do wear full ostrich feathers on my Civil War Officers Stetson & Stratton Felt Hats. I think feathers look better on wide brim rather than on short brim hats. They can finish off a widebrim hat nicely!

Last edited:

djd

Practically Family
That suits you jlee. I think it's probably more of a young man's game!

Although it is a common vintage feature on hats somehow it doesn't fit to my idea of a vintage look... Daft I know

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Feathers embody a complex form - I am not sure that I desire complexity.

Feathers: Occassionally.

Feathers distract this novice hatted fellow. Since, being a newer hat wearer, I am still getting used to how I look in different hats I find the feather to be distracting at times. If a hat challenges my perception of "being Hatted," I find the feather to be the first thing to change. Change for me is to remove, not replace.

I enjoy the subtle beauty of a hat and its component parts. As I am appreciating the subtlies, my eye following the lines, ribbon and felt the feather adds complexitity that I do not wish for all the time.

On the other hand, I have had many enjoyable hours watching and enjoying the feathers of our indiginous raptures in Minnesota. Always feathers on a bird!

Best, Eric -

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
That suits you jlee. I think it's probably more of a young man's game!

Although it is a common vintage feature on hats somehow it doesn't fit to my idea of a vintage look... Daft I know

Thanks, quite kind of you to say. When I saw the feather on the eBay listing, I was pretty determined to take it off, but once I had it in hand, and tried it on, I decided that it did work with the hat, so I kept it.

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Alanfgag, that CH looks great on you (spring chicken). Here's one at the other end of the spectrum. It's a soft playboyesque Resistol with good age.

d480b5a1.jpg

Alan,
That is a nice Churchill, and I actually like the feathers on it. It's very similar to a Billy the Kid(d) Stetson my late uncle gave me. It was named after the Olympic skier who wore a cowboy hat. See photo.
020910_Heuga-Kidd_t620.jpg

Perry

Alan,
That is a nice Churchill, and I actually like the feathers on it. It's very similar to a Billy the Kid(d) Stetson my late uncle gave me. It was named after the Olympic skier who wore a cowboy hat. See photo.
020910_Heuga-Kidd_t620.jpg

Perry

Very interesting!... I remember that silver medal.

A-hardie

New in Town
Feathers in hats

Feathers in hats seem to be something of a rarity these days, so I thought i'd ask you guys your opinions. Do you like feathers in hats? And if so, what type? Long feathers from peacocks and similar birds, or short hawk feathers?

-30-

A-List Customer
No "Feather in my cap" (hat) for me, but a dealer friend at The St Lawrence Antique Market being a pipe smoker, uses

his hat band's bow area to store his matches. Both the hat and his Storage Solution have undoubtedly become his Trademark.

Regards,
-30-

nigeloscar

One of the Regulars
Feathers in..

I've had quite a few comments that would suggest the feathers have made the hats look great, that compliment what I wear with them ...
As a 40 year old fedora wearer, the feathers help reduce the 'geekish' comments that I've had, for unashamedly not wearing a baseball cap ..

triple-d

A-List Customer
No feathers at this point.....never really thought about it. I just take them out if the hat has one.......but, never say never. I'm going to revisit some feathers and hat combo's. Don't think I'm a feather kind of guy though.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points