Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Too soon for straw?

Hat Head

One of the Regulars
I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow for a few days of training. The weather down there is supposed to have daytime highs of nearly 80 degrees.

Even though it's only March, can I get away with wearing a straw hat?

RBH

Bartender
Hat Head said:
I'm flying to Dallas tomorrow for a few days of training. The weather down there is supposed to have daytime highs of nearly 80 degrees.

I have flown into Houston before wearing a straw in January.
If the weather is warm I say go for it!

MattJH

One Too Many
Hat Head said:

Are you suspecting that the fashion police could accost you or something? Haha. Come on, nobody is going to care if you're wearing felt or straw, especially not in 2009. Wear whatever you feel comfortable in!

Gilgamark

A-List Customer
If the weather is warm enough, go for it . . .

Although, the owner of a vintage clothing store in Nashville told me today that she would not put her straw hats on display until Easter. I was obviously willing to buy today if she would let me see them, but she refused.

Can you belive that?

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Gilgamark said:
If the weather is warm enough, go for it . . .

Although, the owner of a vintage clothing store in Nashville told me today that she would not put her straw hats on display until Easter. I was obviously willing to buy today if she would let me see them, but she refused.

Can you belive that?

If that business goes belly up we'll know why.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
If you were traveling to Maine (where I lived for many years), people might look at you funny with a straw before Memorial Day...but then again, they look at most people funny most days. But Dallas? Go for the straw.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Record highs here today. Man, the tank tops and flip flops were rolling out! I walked into the super market in my black Squatter and black jacket with my shades on. A young man in a T-shirt, basketball shorts and flip flops turned and saw me and shivered enough to notice. I recon he was just a wee bit chilly :eek: .

Not quite straw weather but damn close.

ortega76

Practically Family
For me, it's all about the weather. If it's 75, straws come out. The only thing that makes me hesitate is Chicago's spring storms which might overpower a straw lid.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
Having lived in TX for 13 years (1985-98), I can attest that you can wear a straw or Panama at any time of the year down there..although it would look odd if you happen to be in Dallas during an ice storm.

carter

I'll Lock Up
I wore a straw in Dallas yesterday. I'll probably wear one today.
You may not see a plethora of hats while you're in Dallas but your straw won't be out of place because of the material it's made of.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo