Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Touchy impression or a part of war that must be told???

Hi

My Dad was in WW2, in the 17th Weather Squadron in the South Pacific. You didn't have to be in combat to die. Everyone who wasn't a devote Jew came near death from bad pork on Guadalcanal in 1945. One guy that made Dad VERY mad, blew off his weather briefing and flew through a storm into a mountain near Finschafen. Dad didn't feel very sorry for HIM, but felt VERY SORRY for his crew. No combat, lots of dying.

Look up the development of the aircraft in the 1950's. The B-58 Hustler wrecked at least 5 planes and as many as 15 just in development and initial deployment. The Air Force just wasn't safe.

Later

Indeed - good points. My dad was on the B-36D. Never talked about issues with the hardware, but I never ever thought he served any less for not having fought.

Renault

One Too Many
Look up the development of the aircraft in the 1950's. The B-58 Hustler wrecked at least 5 planes and as many as 15 just in development and initial deployment. The Air Force just wasn't safe.
Later

WOW! That just brought back OLD memories!!!! Dad retired from General Dynamics @ Ft. Worth in the early 90's. His first program when he started at "Convair" was the B-58 program. I remember when I was a tyke, him having to leave to go look for pieces of a B-58 that came apart over Oklahoma! His whole division got on line & walked miles thru the countryside. I believe that was about 1958.......

Renault

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters