Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Trade Names that Became Generic

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Okay I'm new here. And I've been itching to post to this topic. I know it's a bit newer then the Golden Era. But I'm surprised nobody has mentioned "Google!" or "Mapquest". I once suggested to my parents to just "google it on Yahoo" when trying to find a tidbit of information. And have you ever told somebody to "mapquest it"? In those two we've turned a brand name into a verb. Never mind making it generic.

Matt

sixsexsix

Practically Family
Pretty much everyone in Canada calls mac and cheese Kraft Dinner (although that is the technical name for Kraft Mac & Cheese here, all other store brands etc people refer to as Kraft Dinner)
and TimBit - those little middle of the donut balls. What are they called in the rest of the world?
others that have already been posted:
Q-tip as well - I can't even think of what those things would be called otherwise
Velcro - I don't think anyone outside of sewers know the general term is hook-and-loop tape

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When I was a child Dunkin' Donuts called their donut holes Midgets but someone probably got mad, I can't remember and I don't know what they're called now. It was a true brand name as everyone calls them donut holes. Then of course you have the literalists who insists there can't be a donut hole in existence bacause there's nothing there. Yes, this is a subject my in-laws discuss. :rolleyes:
It's so true about people not knowing the functional name, like cotton swab and hook and loop tape.

MPicciotto

Practically Family
In addition to Velcro is the Lift-a-dot fastener. Which to be honest I'm not sure if there are other brands of that type of fastener. It's the type that holds the top to the Jeep windshield and the flap of the military .38 revolver holsters shut. Being son of a sail maker I get to notice these things.

Matt

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Smithy said:
A couple more from NZ...

Sellotape for sticky-tape
Gladwrap for that see-through plastic wrap for keeping food fresh.

And an Aussie one for good measure...

Esky for a cooler box.

Sellotape for sticky-tape is also used in eastern and southern europe!

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Dunkin Donuts called/calls their doughnut holes Munchkins, at least while I was growing up.

Let's see here...

Dr. Scholl's = any sort of shoe insert.
Lowe's seems to be the catch-all around here for any hardware and home improvement store, whether it's an actual Lowe's or Home Depot, Ace, etc.
Tylenol = acetominophen
Advil = ibuprofen
Tums = antacid tablets

Buddy

New in Town
I have a bunch of favourites - back in my days as a reporter, before the earth's crust had cooled, we would often come across advertising directed at journlists in trade publications warning you to include the (R) or TM for trademarked product names. Styrofoam was always one of them. Seems the firms had to make an effort to at least appear to be protecting their trademark or they'd risk losing it.

Here's a few:

Heroin - (originally a cough medicine by Bayer - it was so strong it made you feel "Heroic")
AstroTurf
Ex-Lax
Freon
Jet-Ski
Ski-Doo
Kerosene
Kitty Litter
Ping Pong
Plexiglas
Popsicle
Speedo
Sterno
Teflon
Thermos
Tupperware
Xacto
Zamboni

and my personal favourite: Seeing Eye Dog (a trademark of the The Seeing Eye Inc, a guide dog school established in 1929) :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran