Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Traditional Tap Pants?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Does anyone still manufacture simple high-waisted nylon tap pants? I've been wearing the Nancy King brand (style NK9193) for a while, which I've been getting online from Satin Rose Intimates, but I just noticed today that this style's been discontinued and is in limited supply. I've ordered another three pairs, which should keep me going for a while -- but I guess it's time to start looking for a replacement. Anyone know of any good options?

Oh for the days when I could just walk into JC Penney and stock up...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ooooh, nice pattern! If all else fails I shall go that route, I expect.

Bella -- No luck at my local WalMart (which is, incidentially, the smallest WM in the entire USA!), but I'm going to be heading out to more fertile shopping grounds this weekend, and will check the one up there.

One thing I guess I've had to get used to over the years is that everything I like, be it a clothing item, a lipstick shade or a food ingredient, *always* gets discontinued. I'm like a curse or something....

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
LizzieMaine said:
Ooooh, nice pattern! If all else fails I shall go that route, I expect.

Bella -- No luck at my local WalMart (which is, incidentially, the smallest WM in the entire USA!), but I'm going to be heading out to more fertile shopping grounds this weekend, and will check the one up there.

One thing I guess I've had to get used to over the years is that everything I like, be it a clothing item, a lipstick shade or a food ingredient, *always* gets discontinued. I'm like a curse or something....

Wal-Mart makes me queasy in general, so if they don't have them, so much the better - we won't have to give them money!

Google search:
http://froogle.google.com/froogle?hl=en&q=tap pants&sa=N&tab=wf

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Are tap pants the same as french knickers? From the little I've seen they seems to be...saying that, I did a quick google image search on french knickers and some things that came up were more like lacy girl boxer things. But the kind of french knickers my mum wears are like satiny loose shorts...you might have some luck searching online for those??

LizzieMaine

Bartender
You know, I really like the idea of wearing something called "French Knickers," if only because nobody I know would ever expect me to do so.

And searching under that term, I've come across a British company called "Slenderella" that seems to make the sort of thing I've been looking for -- "roomy and comfortable for ladies who dislike restriction." That's pretty much it. Not as inexpensive as the ones I've been getting, but at least I know they're out there.

Thanx, Fleur!

Etienne

A-List Customer
Funny you should ask about the tap pants, LizzieMaine, as I have been searching for some myself. I found a couple of pairs on eBay and was shocked to see them as BuyNow for $99.00!! For a pair of underwear???! I found another pair (vintage) that were 40's peach colored, with the darling button sides and as I studied them I realized how much cuter I think those are than the elasic waist type I see out there now. I know buttons are much more inconvenient (!) but I love the way the vintage ones are cut on the bias and have that smooth, flat front. What's your take on them? I'm thinking of making some and wondered if you've ever seen any on the market that are buttoned on the side? To me, they are much more feminine and pretty than the current rage of thongs and similar offerings in the intimates departments.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Oh yes -- the button-side bias-cut originals are wonderful. I don't think I've ever seen any current-manufacture pants in this style, though -- a niche market that is woefully underserved. If they were out there, I'd have a drawer full, for sure. I've been trying to get my courage up to sew myself a few pairs -- I've never tried to make my own underwear, and am kind of intimidated by the finishing work required....

Etienne

A-List Customer
I hear you on all points! However, as far as sewing is concerned, I have always steered away from ever sewing with today's tricot nylon because it is so thin, stretchy, etc. The original tap pants, from what I have seen, were generally made of silk charmeuse and that seems like it would be much easier to work with, especially for finishing seams, etc. What I REALLY love about them is that they often had some lovely embroidery somewhere on them and frequently had gorgeous lace edging as well. Sigh.

Caledonia

Practically Family
I love the button side models, and I think they are far more elegant than elastic waists. Can I ask though - I bought a pair of 50s tap pants last month (or they were sold with that description), and they hang like they should mould the thigh. They are a bit big, but you can see the line they're trying to take. I was thinking that tap pants probably fit close to the thigh (at pant or shorts level), ie you can tap dance in them without the, erm, obvious disclosure while high kicking shall we say, :eek: while french knickers are loose fitting and definitely only undergarments. Could that be the difference?

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
A few months ago I went on a grand search for tap pants on the internet. I ended up finding a few cute sets at Target, and they were cheap too. They don't have buttons, and they aren't bias cut, but they do the job. I wish I could find some reasonably priced vintage ones, but they seem to be pretty rare.
As for French Knickers, I came across them during my search. The ones I found were quite beautiful, but expensive. I did find a store called Her Room. They have a website, just do a search on the name, I believe they are based in the UK. They also have great customer service. Sorry for not putting up a direct link, for it is a lingerie site.
Best,
Daisy

Etienne

A-List Customer
Well, I took the plunge and won 2 pair of tap pants on eBay. They are going to be too small for me but I wanted to use them as pattern ideas and to have a visual for someone if I want to explain what I'm looking for. I received one pair in the mail already; they are absolutely exquisite! They are cream color lustrous rayon, bias cut, with tiny covered buttons on the side and they have creamy satin embroidered floral sprigs along the leg edges. SO feminine! I am eagerly awaiting the next pair!!

Caledonia

Practically Family
You do that too? Husband can't believe I buy something to make the pattern. That's what my tap pants were bought for. I will now show him your post and hopefully he will stop harping on about it! :rolleyes:

Etienne

A-List Customer
Oh, yes I do! And, BTW, today I received the other pair in the mail. They are peach colored silk, with scalloped lace edges in a beigh/peach color, tiny mother of pearl side buttons, with a satin-stitched embroidered floral motif on the lower fronts of the legs. DREAMY!

Etienne

A-List Customer
I must be in a nostalgic mood today because I am remembering a cute story my Dad (with my Mom in my avatar) told me years ago: Apparently, when he was about 15years old (and already 6' 4"!) he fell head over heels for some cute girl at school. Wanting to get her something for her birthday, he decided on getting a "tap pant set"--that's right, bra and panties!!!! (Bear in mind that this is a strict Catholic boy here! And it's 1940.) Anyway, he said that he told his mom what he wanted to do and asked her to go to downtown Los Angeles with him to help him pick out a set!! He chuckled and said, "I have NO idea why she didn't tell me I was crazy and I would be doing no such thing, but she didn't. She just came along and helped me pick out a set and I bought it!" When I asked him what the girl said when he took it over to her house and gave it to her, he said she just looked at it, turned beet red, and closed the door! Ah, young love! (And, no, the girl was NOT my Mother!)

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
From the Deckard archive

underwear.jpg

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
The mister went out shopping for shirts..and came back home from Target with these really cute 'tap pants' . I have t say, they're not really my sort of thing, but, I still think they're cute

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart